Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I was really hoping the Model X would be the "and something else" but the more I think about it, I think the reason that Sig X reservations are getting invitations is to encourage them to see the D and to shift them away from Model X if they were holding out for AWD. Just reading the shareholder letter, the Alphas have been just developed. I don't think Elon would show us the X until he's perfected every last detail, especially as he himself stated he's the one who delayed the X for so long.

I doubt it, as Tesla doesn't have a demand problem. They sell every Model S the factory can produce, and could probably sell a lot more if they had the capacity. There's no reason to push future Model X buyers to buy now when the company has no shortage of customers.

According to the 10-Q form that Tesla filed back in August, Model X Alphas were driving around as of August 9. While Tesla has publicly stated that the Alpha phase would last about 3 months, it's conceivable that the phase is already done. Model X has already been delayed quite a bit, so expect that a lot of the tweaks are done.

The Alpha is to confirm that the design works. The Beta is to work out the production process. I really think we'll see the Model X beta. Tesla only sends out exclusive invites and press passes for major events… I really can't see them saying "and something else" (aka "one more thing") and not showing off the X, especially when X Signature customers will be present.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/c331d54f-158a-406b-8e4c-faf97385bbdd

I'd up the bet that D is Driver Assist or Driver Automation. X Signature reservation holders are just the most elite group of
customers and well suited both for Autopilot "and something else" the Model X production reveal. Tesla is pretty clearly putting on sensors for Autopilot already and have yet to make a major announcement. Dual motor AWD Model S ought to out in 6 months or so but just makes no sense as an announcement undercutting the release of Model X.

I'd up the bet that D is Driver Assist or Driver Automation. X Signature reservation holders are just the most elite group of
customers and well suited both for Autopilot "and something else" the Model X production reveal. Tesla is pretty clearly putting on sensors for Autopilot already and have yet to make a major announcement. Dual motor AWD Model S ought to out in 6 months or so but just makes no sense as an announcement undercutting the release of Model X.

I imagine TM is releasing the dual motor MS as a pre-run assembly of skateboards which are the same as the Model X (for the most part). Once they can prove the production rate with that, the Model X is just a shell bolted onto that proven AWD skateboard.

I think the Driver Assist is the something extra. D is dual motors as the evidence seems to suggest. We know the new cars are shipping with DA so that is not as big a deal as needing a party. It is enough to say "something extra."

I reiterate that it wouldn't be the Model X. That is a BIGGER deal than a dual motor Model S and deserves the headline, not a "something extra."

I reiterate that it wouldn't be the Model X. That is a BIGGER deal than a dual motor Model S and deserves the headline, not a "something extra."

The "something else" quote may be homage to Steve Jobs' "One more thing…" which he often used at Apple events to show off new and sometimes unexpected products. Sometimes the reveals were minor (like Safari for Windows), other times they were really important products/services, like completely new MacBook or Mac Pro designs, and the mobile software platform for iOS apps.

Sometimes surprise is a good way to get attention, and the Model X has been held under tight secrecy.

Amazing thread. Here's what confounds me about Adelman, Roadster 2.0 owner, Model S sig owner and Model X reservation #1 holder.
Posts picture of the "D" yet has fewer than 60 lifetime posts!!! Talk about quality posters...

onemorething_title-550x308.jpg

Apple-Watch was the "something else" to the iPhone6 intro. Apple tries to keep that tradition going post Jobs.

(Oh and having U2 perform live and intro their new album as a free iTunes download was the "something-something-else".)

In a way having the "One more thing..." / "Something else..." be a surprising big thing gives it a particularly memorable appeal. Not just some minor add-on.

Last edited:
Do you really want a 6300 lb car? (4700+1600 - that's heavier than my full size pickup!) Nevermind that there's no place to put all those batteries without major sheet metal changes.

Doesn't have to use more of the same cells. There are higher density cells available. At least for a prototype (marketing) demonstration like the battery swap demo.

Anyway, I missed the photo of the P85D so in the immortal words of Ms Emily Litella, "never mind"

Last edited:
I doubt it, as Tesla doesn't have a demand problem. They sell every Model S the factory can produce, and could probably sell a lot more if they had the capacity. There's no reason to push future Model X buyers to buy now when the company has no shortage of customers.

According to the 10-Q form that Tesla filed back in August, Model X Alphas were driving around as of August 9. While Tesla has publicly stated that the Alpha phase would last about 3 months, it's conceivable that the phase is already done. Model X has already been delayed quite a bit, so expect that a lot of the tweaks are done.

The Alpha is to confirm that the design works. The Beta is to work out the production process. I really think we'll see the Model X beta. Tesla only sends out exclusive invites and press passes for major events… I really can't see them saying "and something else" (aka "one more thing") and not showing off the X, especially when X Signature customers will be present.

I definitely agree with you that it's possible they have the X Beta be the something else, but I would bet against that for the reasons I listed before. Also, Tesla does try to push Model X demand to Model S right now. They say in the earnings call that they try to anti-sell the Model X and get people to buy the S. I could eat crow though and I would be happy to do so next Thursday if wrong.

I definitely agree with you that it's possible they have the X Beta be the something else, but I would bet against that for the reasons I listed before. Also, Tesla does try to push Model X demand to Model S right now. They say in the earnings call that they try to anti-sell the Model X and get people to buy the S. I could eat crow though and I would be happy to do so next Thursday if wrong.

Anti-selling the X might be ok for new buyers of regular production vehicles, but people who put down 40k for a Signature Series Model X want a Model X.

Signature X Reservation holders are going to be annoyed if they were invited just to see a Model S, even if the upgrades are great. At least one person in the X forum said they'd be annoyed and I wouldn't blame them!

It would be a PR disaster to get the hopes up of all the X Signature holders, book them for an evening, and then give them no news. While it's possible this could go wrong, I think the folks at Tesla will be smart enough to avoid this. Anything could happen though… nothing is ever guaranteed!

I was just watching an older Teslive video and it jogged my memory about something a Elon said. What about that "thing" they were going to do for Roadster owners? Could that be the "something else" Elon mentioned in the Tweet? The rumoured larger battery pack with Supercharger access?
Well, you gotta do the Model X with the P85D (and hopefully P100+D), but a 400 mile, superchargeable Roadster battery would be awesome. Would send a 'we're with you for life' message.