Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm excited but a little disappointed that the interior only comes in black. I want to trade but want my new P85D to look exactly like my current P85 (tan leather). Was anything said about more interior color options in the future?

yea i'm not sure if that's a web site bug or if that's intentional? you can select tan leather but as soon as you click dual motor it turns black and theres no way of changing the interior colors...

Did anyone get pictures of the Frunk on the D? Someone mentioned only the microwave is missing. I really use the frunk space a lot on road trips and just losing the microwave would be okay as long as the rest of the frunk space remains.

Didn't take a picture, but did look with my own eyes.
There were no actual P85D's on still display and the ones they had running around you couldn't open the frunk on since they were pretty much continuously on the demo ride loop.

The D they had on display had the D trim levels but didn't actually have the front motor. It still had frunk cubby section, but that was just because it wasn't really a D. The D definitely still has the main part of the frunk, and definitely does not have the frunk cubby/microwave section. This understanding was confirmed with multiple conversations with the engineer and sales person tending the displayed "D"

edit: clarify cubby

Last edited:
Didn't take a picture, but did look with my own eyes.
There were no actual P85D's on still display and the ones they had running around you couldn't open the frunk on since they were pretty much continuously on the demo ride loop.

The D they had on display had the D trim levels but didn't actually have the front motor. It still had frunk cubby section, but that was just because it wasn't really a D. The D definitely still has the main part of the frunk, and definitely does not have the back cubby/microwave section. This understanding was confirmed with multiple conversations with the engineer and sales person tending the displayed "D"
When you say no back cubby are you referring to the foot well for the rear facing seats? I think that would have to be on production cars as the jump seats are still an option on D models.

New seats?! Any pictures?

Only crappy pics due to the lighting :(
IMG_5572.jpg

The seats have much, *much* higher bolsters (both butt and back) and more padding than the current seats, and feel like they support the front of the seating area far better. They are a solid improvement, if you want to be cradled/hugged by the seats vs. just sitting "on" them instead of in them.

- - - Updated - - -

When you say no back cubby are you referring to the foot well for the rear facing seats? I think that would have to be on production cars as the jump seats are still an option on D models.

No I meant back cubby inside the frunk, i.e. the "microwave"

Last edited:
Looks as though you have to get the 21's but I'm assuming it'll work with 19's. No?

I didn't see anything on the order page suggesting a brake upgrade, which is the only reason I know of that 19s might not fit.

The logic on the website might not be fully wrung out yet, but it seemed like it would allow an order of 19" winter wheels/tires on a P85D, which is further support for the idea.
Walter

Hmm good point, does make sense for them to clear out any inventory. So the wait has to be till Feb ! :roll eyes:
I had hoped the new seats would be standard too after running out of current ones, but I'm not so sure that'll happen. I suspect that instead you'll have the newest version of the old seats as the standard option and the new seats as the performance option, so you can get either on future orders at any of the trim levels.

I could see some people preferring the newest "more comfy" version of the existing seats to the sport seats, based on individual preference of sitting in vs. on.

- - - Updated - - -

What I felt was an important comment from Musk was that the performance AWD option would keep the current motor and add "the midsized motor", and I took that to imply that the base AWD would split the motors, downsizing the rear motor, which would help keep the cost down. I think that's more important than the headline 3.2s performance system.

I'd also note that the wording on Autopilot seemed to be that they'd gradually add the described features and so I hope all of you people who are actual rather than future customers don't drool too much right now, lest you be disappointed.

Still,after the news that there was no news on the X, I think that this reveal was good. Now to wait to see implementation.

Just checked out design studio: 60D adds $4k for AWD, splits power 50/50 front and rear. Says 225@65, obviously doesn't have EPA rating yet . Will be interesting to see how EPA will be affected.

The dual motor option on the non P85D are all based on two of the smaller motors, same as front motor in the P85D. In addition, the 60 version of the platform is further detuned, "slightly", said the engineer, because of the power limits of the battery, though they are still the same smaller motors.

I asked about timing of the autopilot releases with multiple employees. No timelines and no commitments. No real answers beyond aggressive over the air software updates with the next bits (presumably the ACC functionality at least) by the end of the year. The feeling I got was that everything they demoed (watch the vids) would be in our hands (or out of our hands?) by mid year next year, and they'd push it as fast as they can. Random extra functionality talked about by Elon is more on Elon time :)

Only crappy pics due to the lighting :(
View attachment 61150

The seats have much, *much* higher bolsters (both butt and back) and more padding than the current seats, and feel like they support the front of the seating area far better. They are a solid improvement, if you want to be cradled/hugged by the seats vs. just sitting "on" them instead of in them.

- - - Updated - - -

No I meant back cubby inside the trunk, i.e. the "microwave"
I see. Front trunk. That is as expected.

Little nitpick...
He said something like "...constantly be at optimal efficiency point for each motor..."
That sounds technically incorrect. I don't think the motors will stay at a specific (most optimal) RPM or have a CVT to manage RPMs.
I think what he meant to say was more along the lines of "power can be applied to the motor that will be more efficient for the conditions".
In other words, constantly adjusting power split to the best motor (of the two) for the job at that time.

I'm excited but a little disappointed that the interior only comes in black. I want to trade but want my new P85D to look exactly like my current P85 (tan leather). Was anything said about more interior color options in the future?
To my knowledge, the Design Studio doesn't tell us what color. It could be hot pink (though I suspect not). What it does say is: "Tesla's next generation seat, reengineered for comfort and lateral support."

If you're interested in getting the vehicle and this is an issue for you, I'd start the conversation ASAP with Tesla -- after having saved my configuration for immediate progression to the next stage if you like their response.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't believe they're pushing the 21"s on us again. Just like the Sigs...
For the record, it's worse than it was for Sigs. For Sigs, you could opt for 19"s (but wouldn't save any money).

Any mention of the P+ configuration? Does the P85D include P+ tire/suspension mods, or will there also be a P85D+, or do we not know anything yet?
Others have answered but to summarize and add flavor based on drivetrain engineer talks…
The P+ is entirely replaced by the P85D. It does have (re)tuned suspension, tweaked similar to the P+ but tuned taking into account the different vehicle dynamics of the D. You could tell from talking to them that they've spend considerable time thinking about the specifics and trying out things, not just for the dual motor configs in general, but for the dual sized motor performance version in particular.
He told me he thought they had changed the tires again, but was unsure on what the final thing they landed on was, then we both went and stared at the rear tires blankly for a moment before getting distracted and going down a different path of the conversation :rolleyes: He did say they kept a staggered config, and actually said the rear tires were even wider than the +, which surprised me and makes me wonder if what he meant was just that they were *still* staggered and wider than the front. All this came up when I was asking if they had switched from the PS2s to the PSS's. Unfortunately due to the blank staring, and general excitement level about everything, I didn't come away with a final answer :(

Other items not touched on in Elon's announce, but discussed in passing with employees:
Different modes range/normal/insane (think now called normal/performance/insane) don't feel that much different between first 2, but 1st one does mostly use the front motor while cruising. Power balance is still dynamic in all modes and even in range mode, when you push the go pedal, power shifts and performance happens. Sounded like vehicle dynamics would be "slightly" affected in range mode though, in terms of handling in curves, etc., due to the default bias. I think we'll just have to get them on the road to really feel how much the modes matter. Hate having to choose one and feeling like a spur of the moment need might make me feel like I chose the wrong one, but he assured me the effects were slight. It really seemed like they had put a *lot* of work into vehicle dynamics, and that they expect to continue to make it better via updates. We talked about the stronger regen available, and the improvements to tire wear. There was some discussion of the potential of a software dial for regen limits or even a hardware option for increasing regen beyond the off throttle limit (but that was a pet project vs. something to expect). The just dialing up the limit had limits due to vehicle dynamics leading to a potentially unsafe condition at extreme limits of regen, but it sounded like there is the real possibility to have more control over the regen range/curve than just low/normal at some point, via software update.

The front motor was chosen because it gave the best performance relative to weight based on the fact that under heavy acceleration, weight shifts to the rear and had they used the bigger rear motor in the front too, it would just have been traction limited without really buying you extra acceleration. I mentioned the mythical dual current P85 motor engineering/test S and the sub 3 second 0-60's it supposedly got, but he didn't really have anything to say about that beyond seeming surprised that it'd actually be a performance improvement over the released design, based on traction limits and "safe" power draw limits from the battery. The released P85D set up is power limited but close to the traction limits. The delta in performance between the other D variants and the RWD versions is much smaller (but still there!) due to the 2 smaller motors vs. 1 big 1 small, but the vehicle dynamics gains are still all there and subject to improvement/refinement as they do software updates.

Relevant to P85D -> P85D+, and future proofing in general, I explained I was a Roadster 1.5 owner (and lived through the big changes as the 2 and 2.5 were released) and asked how solid/final the configs and engineering was for the P85D in terms of likely changes over the course of the next couple years. We went into quite a few different aspects of the platform, but bottom line was it sounded like it wasn't likely there would be an even more powerful drivetrain available "soon" and that the design was solid and unlikely to change for a couple years. A lot of effort was spend on "getting it right", at the chassis, drive train, and sensor suite level such that it would be a stable base for the X (though asking/saying anything about the X was strictly off limits) and S through to the Model 3 era. He expected any changes they made to be more about lowering their cost or improving reliability (again to lower their cost of warranty work) vs. new functionality or higher power. No promise new battery packs or tech would or would not be available that would obsolete the current packs, but I definitely got the impression it wouldn't happen in the next year (implication to me therefore is that the X's will not have new battery options in 2015 - though again there was no faster way to shut down a Tesla employee than to ask about the X, "strict orders", etc.)

My bottom line is I expect continued improvements and upgrades in the interior over the course of the next year, but nothing new in the drivetrain. Maybe some additional suspension tweaks, but I think those would tend to be retrofittable at a service center. Definitely expect performance tweaks and improvements to the dual motor intelligence but fully expect it to be via software updates. I suspect but had no confirmation that there will be more paint options coming for S and X, but probably not in the next couple/three months. Certainly not for the first P85D's

You don't want AWD, but according to current sales and sales trends many people do. Importantly, because the S is single-geared, the AWD systems increases efficiency. So, AWD, slightly improved performance, slightly improved efficiency and slightly improved range. I don't really need AWD myself, even here, because my driving is in cities and on main roads, but personally I think that the addition of real AWD to a real BEV at a reasonable premium that pays a little back through efficiency and increased range is an extremely big deal. I agree with Elon Musk that many people are not appreciating the magnitude. It's also an important pointer for Model 3/Y: now people know that AWD is going to cost no more than $4k and in all likelihood less than $4k.

My reaction to the 3.2s thing was "OK, that's impressive but ...", and I'm very glad that there's substance beneath the headlines.

This is an important insight. For those that aren't watching closely, we just saw an echo of something like Moore's Law strike the traditional auto manufacturing industry last night. Namely, Tesla took an already incredible car by many measures (but not all, and not for all people), and they made it:
- faster (low 4s to low 3s 0-60 time)
- faster top end (now 155 mph)
- more efficient (slight improvement to overall efficiency at 65 mph due to different gearing, despite the car getting heavier by the amount of 1 motor)

Outside of hybrid technology, where car makers started incorporating regenerative braking, small batteries, and small motors; when was the last time a car improved this much from 1 version to the next? Or maybe a more accurate way to think of it - improved this much over a 2 year period (decent volume shipments in late 2012, initial shipments expected in decent volume in late 2014)?

And none of this happened due to battery chemistry changes - the primary thing that we've all been thinking about as the primary driver of performance and range improvements in the car.

And these are just the easy to measure stuff. How about the idea of all of the control interfaces in the car being digital instead of analog? Think that will prove important to other companies as they try to get auto-pilot and later autonomous driving going? I don't know, but my hypothesis / guess is that digital will prove better / faster / easier / cheaper to work with.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that it's $50k more than my current Model S and about $100k more than my previous car will go a long way to help me resist. That said, I'm excited to think about the fact that many of those features and performance characteristics will be on my wife's Model X when we get that next year.

You sure you aren't going to start plotting now how that Model X next year is yours 'efusco, and how the current Model S becomes your wife's now? :)

They popped the frunk for me at the demo car last night at the event. The picture below shows there is still the 'microwave' area, but maybe it does not go back as deeply as before? When I asked them where the front motor was, one employee said that he thought it was just a demo car to show the new seats but was not dual motor - this is in spite of the badging and the dashboard clearly saying P85D. I found the employees at the event were much less knowledgeable than people on TMC, as expected. Just curious to see what others think:

IMG_8386.JPG

The new D edition...

Well i love the new D model from Tesla.

What i don't like is that now my P85 i just bought is old news. I guys we should all be ready for new rollouts every 6 months like smartphones. That's why they sell these cars at malls. LOL

Looks like I'll be on the list for a new one considering i really need something AWD.

It does suck all of us that want to upgrade our "old" cars with the front drive motor and drivetrain won't be able to. i personally think it's possible with a little elbow grease and new software.

Oh but what's a trade-in on a new P85 for a P85D....it's just $120,00+. no biggie.:tongue:

Agree with some of your concerns but range is listed at 65mph not 55mph.
View attachment 61125

I swore it said @55 last night. In any case those numbers are not certified and Tesla plays loose with the facts (i.e. the normal p85 has 470 HP now but no improvement in 0-60 compared to the supposedly 416 HP of the "old" p85)

- - - Updated - - -

They popped the frunk for me at the demo car last night at the event. The picture below shows there is still the 'microwave' area, but maybe it does not go back as deeply as before? When I asked them where the front motor was, one employee said that he thought it was just a demo car to show the new seats but was not dual motor - this is in spite of the badging and the dashboard clearly saying P85D. I found the employees at the event were much less knowledgeable than people on TMC, as expected. Just curious to see what others think:

View attachment 61157
I think that's not an actual AWD model. Looking at the design of the front motor and gearbox I think it would have to occupy most, if not all of that space.