Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they have had enough real life data to conclude that the 85kWh packs are in fact so well built, cooled etc. and consisting of such high quality cells that it is in fact "safe" to allow for an even higher C rate of discharge than they initially dared believe, when trying to balance performance vs. longevity/capacity/degradation of the battery?

Perhaps.

I would have thought the contactors and wiring and pyro fuse were more of an issue than the discharge rate on the cells; GM uses a 7C rate on the Volt cells, even higher on the ELR. Full power on the P85D only looks to be about 6.3C. I'm also not sure what output level the individual cell fuses allow before they blow.

My guess is there are now 85 kWh "E" packs out there with uprated internals and higher discharge rates. But it's just my guess. :)
Walter

It doesn't work. At least that is the case with all other similar systems on the market. Rain, badly marked roads, etc. all mean you will do the driving like the rest of us...;)

What happens when the autopilot is on and the road becomes bad. Does the driver get enough of a heads up to be ready to take over? I'm imagining the scenario of airplane pilots that relied too much on autopilot and didn't have enough time (or didn't know how) to react to the scenario.

I don't mind it. Not sure how much range mode helps but, I think it would be cool to have the "insane" mode automatically begin super-cooling the battery below normal operating temperatures in order to allow it to run longer before any limiters kick in. I could see where I wouldn't want to run in this mode normally due to the fact it would likely run the A/C system full blast and get poor range. And it would likely get full performance in "normal" mode, but just full performance for longer period in "insane" mode.
I wasn't sure initially if he was serious about this - but it appears he was. I think having different modes is one way that they can advertise more range, more performance, more speed. You tell the car which thing is important so they could implement ideas like the ones mentioned here - they would use more power but presumably if you're using insane mode you dont care. I very much doubt anyone will need to switch into insane mode to pass cars etc. normally. The existing performance of most model Ss is insane by most conventional car standards. I'm thinking that for day to day driving insane mode might also be too aggressive. As it is in my P85+ I occasionally give my passengers whiplash - though to be honest that is sometimes deliberate.

- - - Updated - - -

Overall I'm blown away by some of the major changes but the list of additional features mentioned in the blog include a few pretty cool things that many people have been asking about for a while. One was mentioned earlier but the full list is:

• Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection
  • Improvements for a quieter cabin
  • Wider rear door opening
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S
  • Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror
  • Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard
  • Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity
  • Updated steering column
  • Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad

Per Elon, the car can see through fog, snow, rain etc...

There isn't likely a scenario or question that Tesla engineers haven't thought of and either solved or will solve down the road.

This brings up a question (sorry if this has already been answered). Are the lane markers on the road detected with the radar, the camera, or both? I think only the radar can see through fog, rain, snow, sand, etc.

There isn't likely a scenario or question that Tesla engineers haven't thought of and either solved or will solve down the road.

Although, in context I believe he was speaking of the radar/sonar that can see other objects for stopping or avoidance.

The painted lane markers are detected by the optical camera, which I suspect can be stymied by snow, fog, etc... The thread where an owner got a message that the camera was being obscured by a fogged up windshield reinforces this.

he means blowing snow, falling snow, blowing sand.

It can see through the less dense particles that are enough to stop visible light but not dense enough to stop radar/sonar.

It might be able to find lane markings under a dusting but it won't find them under several inches.

Yes, yes, of course he meant blowing snow and such and it was in the context of seeing objects. That doesn't mean because a speed sign is covered by snow, or the lines on the road are covered by snow that suddenly the car's autopilot features cease to work. There are four systems that work together and/or back each other up. In the example given, if a sign is covered by snow then the car will logically revert to nav/Google/Garmin/fill in the blank info.

From a purely realistic view, having driven in snowstorms, the posted speed of a road is of zero relevance. If you want to stay out of the ditch, you aren't driving the speed limit, let alone over it. You drive at a speed dictated by the weather conditions. Posted speed limits are obviously for ideal driving and road conditions. This is not autonomous driving, it's autopilot which requires human supervision. It will continue to advance as the months and years go by, such that those things that aren't yet worked out will get worked out.