Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just the messenger. :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

I'd expect that everyone would be tweeting from the event, include pics / video.

Another messenger here...with some past history.

The Model X reveal on Feb 9, 2012 was posted to YouTube on Feb 16:

The Supercharger Event on Sept 24, 2012 was posted on YouTube on Sept 25:

The Battery Swap announcement on June 20, 2013 was posted on YouTube on June 21.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at these videos... remember when they were revealed? Remember feeling like Tesla and Elon were like modern day magicians? The excitement and appeal of Tesla was palpable. Not saying they aren't now. But back when super charging was revealed everyone was like "WHAT!? Impossible!" Now the sentiment is "When are we going to get one near me?"

The things you take for granted sometimes.

Cant wait to get more details when they do the x reveal, am going to be under jury sequestor during the event and the next days though! SON OF A FEMALE CANINE,i will be the last guy on the planet to find out about my beloved x.

I will just go awol from my court case, nothing could possibly go wrong there :frown:

I hope Tesla, or someone else, does a live feed! I for sure will stay up (middle of the night here)

If someone will get me a invite and a plane ticket to get there, I will broadcast it live. My youtube channel is big enough I have full use of the Live Broadcast, and event broadcasting features, and the equipment to do it!

If someone can, call 414-852-7526

Last edited:
If someone will get me a invite and a plane ticket to get there, I will broadcast it live. My youtube channel is big enough I have full use of the Live Broadcast, and event broadcasting features, and the equipment to do it!

Make sure to clear it with Tesla first though! Very cool if you could.

Perhaps check with Ben Sherman(? Maybe I'm remembering the name wrong) who did a live broadcast of an event a year ago or so.

Last edited:

I think the big challenge will be internet connection/bandwidth for a livestream. I was at the battery swap event and there were so many people using their cell phone internet connections that internet connection grinded to a halt. It took me 10 minutes to post a photo to TMC. Before the event started it was alright, but right when the event started (ie, when Elon started to speak) I couldn't post basically anything, not even a text post or tweet. And I have Verizon.

I think the big challenge will be internet connection/bandwidth for a livestream. I was at the battery swap event and there were so many people using their cell phone internet connections that internet connection grinded to a halt. It took me 10 minutes to post a photo to TMC. Before the event started it was alright, but right when the event started (ie, when Elon started to speak) I couldn't post basically anything, not even a text post or tweet. And I have Verizon.
I have options for bandwidth. And if it does get that bad, I can then do a immediate upload right after (not optimal, but possible). Just thoughts and options...

I also have access to the youtube maker center in la with 10 gigabit direct connection to the youtube server farm if need be :)

Last edited:
(a) I didn't realize the "limiter" kicked in during a 0-60 run, (b) which is where the added traction of AWD would make the largest difference, and make the P85D the fastest, or more accurately, the quickest, Tesla. (c) I don't expect the AWD to assist at all in top speed.
(a) It can. I've seen it in my car.
(b) If 0-60 is the reason for AWD, then it's misspent money (buyers) and R&D (Tesla) IMO.
(c) Agree.

- - - Updated - - -

As I understand it, the power limiter in the Model S is based on a computer model/lookup table for the rotor temperature in the main drive motor, right?
We don't know. Tesla hasn't said. We're all making guesses (some of them quite educated). Some think it's the motor. Some says it's battery protection. Some say inverters. Some say raw timer. Etc.

(a) It can. I've seen it in my car.
(b) If 0-60 is the reason for AWD, then it's misspent money (buyers) and R&D (Tesla) IMO.
(c) Agree.

I don't see the problem. faster 0-60 adds to the 'wow' factor to show electric cars aren't golf carts and helps justify the premium price the car demands because of the expensive battery pack. The AWD will also help in traction on snow and ice which is the main reason to have it. Plus they already developed it for the Model X so why not?

Last edited:
I don't see the problem. faster 0-60 adds to the 'wow' factor to shop electric cars aren't golf carts and helps justify the premium price the car demands because of the expensive battery pack. The AWD will also help in traction on snow and ice which is the main reason to have it. Plus they already developed it for the Model X so why not?
I think we're on the same page. Let me elaborate.

(Point 1)
If 0-60 is the reason for AWD investment by Tesla, it's a foolish investment as they have better things to do.
If 0-60 is the reason for AWD for a buyer, it's a foolish choice as well.

(Point 2)
If traction/safety/etc. are the reason for AWD investment by Tesla or a buyer, that totally makes sense.
If 0-60 improves as a natural consequence of the physics (and design) for Tesla's AWD implement in Model S, that totally makes sense and has some 'wow' for the EV transition.

(Point 3)
Should Tesla invest in AWD for Model S? I think yes for the two reasons you mention: learning/experience for X and traction.

We might diverge significantly on the below.

Getting back to Point 1, if Tesla wants to earn more racing cred they need to do two things IMO: (a) embrace it and (b) solve the acceleration limiter issue. The 0-60 is just glitz not something important, IMO, from the behavior of the car in a high performance sense.

For (a), I'm referring to what Audi, Porsche, and some other brands do. Support the hobby/enthusiast high speed activities and embrace the idea. "It's a daily driver, nothing more" is the vibe that Tesla currently gives off (presumably for legal / self-protection reasons). If you want to win over people, embrace the "but what can it do at the track" question. Plus was offered along these lines, and it was a good sign.

For (b), it's not about the daily driver and that's ok. I'm not talking about a substantial investment. I'm talking about opening up the discussion between Tesla and the track enthusiast audience. Offer some tuning knobs in the firmware, or consider a track tuning beta program (perhaps under NDA). Something. Having a presense in the driving enthusiast arena is significant and shouldn't be ignored or avoided; doing it right (heck even at all) puts them in a better position when Model 3 rolls around. I (and others) don't want to have to bow to (ok, not bow but "let by") the ICEs after lap 1 because Tesla seems to not care about improving this area. My skills are relatively new in this area (started HPDE Feb 2013) and the car is already limiting what I can do in terms of skill growth.

If they announce dual motor, AWD, improved performance and a larger battery, my Sig is in for early retirement. That said, my wife is going ballistic over the prospect of me getting a new car this soon...we generally sweat these assets 8-10 years.

Last edited:
You don't pre-empt the marketing department of a car company that is keeping its cards close to its chest so it can surprise the public, unless you really know what is going on.

I think the reputation of this guy Trip Chowdhry, which is already on thin ice... will suffer some serious hurt if Tesla doesn't show the Model 3.

Literally a decade worth of publishing from Apple "analysts" like Rob Enderle proves analysts can make up whatever they feel like every week, nobody ever bothers to check their track record the next.