Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had test RIDES in the X. (That was in the evening in LA, perhaps that is what you remember?)

The next step is test DRIVES, which will be after the safety testing is completed. With the S, they accomplished that at the multiple Get Amped events, so that reservation holders could experience the car in person.

I would be gobsmacked (hey, Nigel!) if test drives happened anytime in the next few months - but they do need to show a production-intent Model X soon. And I cannot fathom an entire event wrapped around just that.

Sorry I meant drives. I seem to remember an early video clip of the first Model S drive event where people were driving a short obstacle course in the dark. I remember because that video showed the curve lights coming on and off as you were turning the car and you could see clearly because it was dark outside.

Also, I could totally see an entire event around the first model X test drives for reservation holders.

Agree. That's why the event will last all the night long. IMO there will be test drives both of the Model X and of the Model S D.

No, I meant that the first Model X test drives will be clearly announced as just that in a separate event. Not as a just a mysterious tweet, a "D" or "something else". I hope Tesla respect the early X reservation holders' time that much.

How about November 18?

Home | Los Angeles Auto Show

Yes, you eventually have to show it, but I think the changes are going to be small enough that you don't even make it the +1 of a major announcement; you just roll it out matter-of-factly at an auto show, which gives you at least a few lines of press coverage there, too. And having it at the LA show would give it a lot more public exposure than a private event at Hawthorne.

You could even do a special preview in advance of the show for the reservation holders, if you wanted.

Tesla is not on the exhibitors list for the LA Auto Show: Floor Map Exhibitors | Los Angeles Auto Show

Noticed the event showed up in this calendar:
events1.png

my two cents: at first I thought this would be Model S all-wheel drive, and details on driver assist including glimpse of features beyond what other automakers have done.

I've now come to think revised Model X is about 75% likely to be included in this event as well. I'm very excited about this. While I do have a reservation for an X, I think the X will be such a wow, it will be a big reveal even for the public in general. Could be like the overhyped leasing program last year, but a couple months back, Elon was very glowing about the X, pretty much saying people waiting on X rather than buying an S now were right even if they don't know why they are right. ​I know I may be let down, but I'm expecting quite the X.

My out-there wish, a hybrid battery that adds a metal air range extender. I know, but I did say "out there" and "wish."

I think Model 3 is very unlikely to be revealed. Would be quite happy to be wrong about that.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant drives. I seem to remember an early video clip of the first Model S drive event where people were driving a short obstacle course in the dark. I remember because that video showed the curve lights coming on and off as you were turning the car and you could see clearly because it was dark outside.

Also, I could totally see an entire event around the first model X test drives for reservation holders.

I think you're forgetting that the Model S test drives happened AFTER the first Model S were delivered to the early Signature reservation holders. Your timeline is skewed. I fully expect that when I take delivery of my X, it will be the first one I've ever driven.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, you eventually have to show it, but I think the changes are going to be small enough that you don't even make it the +1 of a major announcement;

Based on what I have heard, disagree. I think we'll see some major changes. "Bonnie, you will be BLOWN away when you see what you're getting. BLOWN AWAY!!!."

From those that have seen it. Not me. Not that I'd sulk about that or anything. I mean, I've only had my Sig deposit down for 2+ years, why should I get to see it? I'm glad Tesla employees can see it and torture me with how great it is and everything. -grrrr- I'm truly happy for them. Yes, that's it. Happy.

- - - Updated - - -
Based on what I have heard, disagree. I think we'll see some major changes. "Bonnie, you will be BLOWN away when you see what you're getting. BLOWN AWAY!!!."
From those that have seen it. Not me. Not that I'd sulk about that or anything. I mean, I've only had my Sig deposit down for 2+ years, why should I get to see it? I'm glad Tesla employees can see it and torture me with how great it is and everything. -grrrr- I'm truly happy for them. Yes, that's it. Happy.

This was absolutely PRICELESS. Here's hoping they put you behind the wheel on Oct 9th, as a surprise.

I'm really worried about Model X pricing now....

Elon has always said the X would be priced slightly higher than A SIMILARLY EQUIPPED MODEL S. If the S AWD is a big premium over RWD, what will that do to entry level Model X pricing???

I've always assumed that the base configuration Model X will be priced slightly higher than base configuration Model S with AWD - I don't see anything changing there from what Elon has always said.

The Presidential (VIP) TFR NOTAM appeared for Obama being in LA Thursday Night. Except for Military, Emergency, Police, etc, Hawthorne Airport will be in the No Fly zone Thursday Night.

4/4241 NOTAM Details

BTW, for those not in to FAA Pilot Speak:

TFR = Temproary Flight Restrictions
NOTAM = NOtice To AirMen​

Elon and Tesla must have known that there would be a TFR due to the DNC fundraiser. Obama and Biden are attending....... I did not get my invitation :tongue:

Actually HHR is in area B I believe that still allows IFR and VFR flight plan arrivals and departures.

Last edited: