Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Desiccant Bag replacement service cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla recommends replacing this every 6 years. estimate shows ~$450.

I have no idea if this is normal or high. If it's high, is it worth cancelling and trying to get estimates from other Tesla service centers?

EDIT: I'm an idiot. It's only be 5 years since I got my car. Nevermind...

Looks like the service involves draining AC refrigerant, then it's a fairly simple job of replacing the desiccant bag. Unfortunately not really a DIY job for most people since you have to refill the AC refrigerant again.
After first completely evacuating the system to recover the refrigerant and be sure there is no moisture. Correct. Not a DIY job at all. And highly illegal. You must be properly certified to do AC work these days.

Reactions: XPsionic
Also not sure why they are calling it a "bag". It's certainly a metal canister on the high pressure loop so there is no way it's a bag. It will set ahead of the expansion valve/capillary tube to keep it from ice-fouling in the event a trace of moisture has entered the system.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
It's certainly a metal canister on the high pressure loop so there is no way it's a bag.

I hate to argue with you but... oh who am I kidding? I love to argue!!

So I went out and popped the frunk, removed the liner, and behold there it was... duct taped to the wooden brackets from Home Depot:

1683582603645.jpeg

Now it *says* DO NOT EAT, but I'll be damned if they're gonna tell me what I can and can't do with my own property... so I ate it anyway. Doh! That bag's gonna cost me $450.

Well ok then, lol. They reinvented something that has worked perfectly for decades. Thanks for the info.
Yep, they are at it again reducing waste. Why throw away a whole big metal unit, when you can just open it, replace the contents, and close it back up again. (Tesla isn't the only one doing this.)

I have never heard of a service requirement like this. The AC refrigerant loop is sealed. The desiccant should only need to be changed if the loop is opened for service or broken in an accident.

Here is a site that says it should be replaced every 5 years as the materials break down with age:

Desiccant is the material that is used as the drying agent to remove moisture from the refrigerant and oil in your a/c system.
The Receiver Drier and Accumulator contains a bag of desiccant which is used to trap system damaging moisture. Moisture inside your a/c system can cause ice formation and corrosion. Acid that forms when refrigerant mixes with moisture can weaken aluminum components such as the Condenser and Evaporator.

Some of the moisture removing desiccants found within are not compatible with R-134a. The desiccant type is usually identified on a sticker that is affixed to the receiver-drier. Newer receiver-driers and accumulators use desiccant type XH-7 and are compatible with both R-12 and R-134a refrigerants.

Because desiccant materials break down with age and the bag that contains it can rupture, you should replace the Receiver Drier or Accumulator if it's over five years old - or - any time the system is opened for major repair.

Here is a video showing removing the desiccant bag in an ICE vehicle:

I wonder if this maintenance is listed because the A/C system is also used as a heat pump.

Assuming that the desiccant bag can be purchased as a part only from Tesla, any decent A/C repair shop should be able to take care of this. Perhaps there are alternate sources for the bag.

Assuming that the desiccant bag can be purchased as a part only from Tesla, any decent A/C repair shop should be able to take care of this. Perhaps there are alternate sources for the bag.
The deiccant bag can be ordered from Tesla as part of a service kit that includes all of the necessary parts. (New cap, snap ring, and cover in addition to the bag.) But I don't know how much it costs.

I suspect that the majority of the cost is labor. (The book time for the job is 1.4 hours and doesn't Tesla charge ~$200/hour? So ~$300 in labor.) I guess refrigerant should be close to $40, so that isn't as expensive as I thought.

As far as other shops, just make sure they follow the service procedure.

1683729283666.png

You even have to go as far as weighing the old/new desiccant bag to determine how much additional oil to add.

1683729329807.png

I suspect that the majority of the cost is labor. (The book time for the job is 1.4 hours and doesn't Tesla charge ~$200/hour? So ~$300 in labor.) I guess refrigerant should be close to $40, so that isn't as expensive as I thought.

And since the battery relies on the thermal management system functioning correctly, can't botching this job also potentially lead to HV battery damage?

And since the battery relies on the thermal management system functioning correctly, can't botching this job also potentially lead to HV battery damage?
It shouldn't. As the car would see that the thermal system wasn't working and prevent you from using the battery in a way that would be harmful. (For example, you might only get slow charging, and have limited acceleration available.)

Reactions: afadeev
I have the gross moldy smell in mine & when I reported it, the SC entered in the estimate that I needed the carbon particulate filter changed. Uh no. I did this myself as I always do. I guess I'll need the ~$450 HVAC service that the OP mentioned.
The desiccant bag has nothing to do with the dirty sock smell.