Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those of you who have purchased AB, are you glad you did? Would you buy it again or is it something that's fun a few times but you don't really need? I'm asking because I'm close to ordering a LR and trying to decide on this option. Thanks.
I would do it again.. and if they offered more performance for additional money, I would pay that too.. (I should have purchased a Performance version...)

To those of you who have purchased AB, are you glad you did? Would you buy it again or is it something that's fun a few times but you don't really need? I'm asking because I'm close to ordering a LR and trying to decide on this option. Thanks.
I have it and glad I do.
It's fast without the boost but not fast enough (for me). if you are on the fence you can buy without the boost and get used to it. Try it out. You can cancel it within 48 hours of order.

Yes, would definitely buy again. No regrets, $2k for 0.6 seconds is a bargain.

My thoughts exactly! Of course, the Performance version was $16k extra at the time...

Yup same here. Wasn't worth the $15K+ upgrade in 2018 when I purchased. If I was buying today, no brainer on the P. However, if buying today, I would also not have gotten the $10.5K federal and state credit on EVs, so c'est la vie. I have been able to use the savings and slowly upgrading my AWD LR to be better in every aspect in comparison to the P outside of the initial 0-30mph acceleration and track mode. Already have lighter forged wheels, adjustable coilovers and rear arms, with SS brake lines and uprated brake fluid. Up next, brakes!

Yup same here. Wasn't worth the $15K+ upgrade in 2018 when I purchased. If I was buying today, no brainer on the P. However, if buying today, I would also not have gotten the $10.5K federal and state credit on EVs, so c'est la vie. I have been able to use the savings and slowly upgrading my AWD LR to be better in every aspect in comparison to the P outside of the initial 0-30mph acceleration and track mode. Already have lighter forged wheels, adjustable coilovers and rear arms, with SS brake lines and uprated brake fluid. Up next, brakes!

with your upgrades, what do you think you’re looking at for 0-60 for reference? Did the shocks and wheels make a difference?

@elonmusk. Possible to get an Acceleration Boost toggle button to turn on and off Acceleration Boost to allow for increased range?

Sometimes I wanna go fast and sometimes I wanna go far!

(moderator note: moved to acceleration boost discussion thread)

Then don't put your foot i to it so deep.

The S and X model P cars have had larger rear motors which reduce range.

In the case of a software performance unlock all you have to do to maintain range is not use the extra power. Yes they could offer a "chill mode" to dumb down the throttle bit it wont accomplish any more than.you coild controlling yourself.

If I was Tesla i'd raise the AB to $3000.
So all people undecided before will say " If I was skeptical before, now I'm sure I don't want AB for my LR AWD".
Then, later I'd offer another 30-40 HP step in power (maybe raising a bit the rear output already capped with AB and some more juice on front), but still remaining on paper just an hair under P3D power at "only" $1000.
Condition to buy it is having the original AB (now at 3000).
This would be correct for all people that purchased AB since beginning.

just tried AB yesterday. I'm a bit disappointed
I am not sure if they altered the accelerator pedal sensitivity with the Boost upgrade. IMHO yes.
--->No doubt the "WOT" feels strong, no doubt at all. I made a 3.76 0-60 (3.55 1tf) at the very first attempt at about 55% SoC.

But at notmal driving it feels sluggish, lazy (more similar to CHILL in behaviour) compared to previous STANDARD acceleration.
I can' revert to STANDARD to compare because SPORT replaced STANDARD (I was aware of this).
When it was STANDARD, it was like you barely touch the pedal and you get a lot of acceleration!. This make the car feel more jumpy abrupt yes , but it was what I always liked about my LR AWD.
It was (in STANDARD) like I was able get 80% of the throttle out of 50% pedal movement. -yes resulting in less efficient 50 to 100% portion-
Now with AB it seems I have less acceleration when I'm under 50% pedal travel and it "feels" sluggish , less responsive. It seem more proportional ratio acceleration/pedal travel.
I have to t say that I had the boost upgrade just seconds after the 2020.44.15. SO probably is the 2020.44.15 the culprit?.
I want back by instant abrupt "throttle reponse".
I'm the only one experiencing this situation?

Last edited:
just tried AB yesterday. I'm a bit disappointed
I am not sure if they altered the accelerator pedal sensitivity with the Boost upgrade. IMHO yes.
--->No doubt the "WOT" feels strong, no doubt at all. I made a 3.76 0-60 (3.55 1tf) at the very first attempt at about 55% SoC.

But at notmal driving it feels sluggish, lazy (more similar to CHILL in behaviour) compared to previous STANDARD acceleration.
I can' revert to STANDARD to compare because SPORT replaced STANDARD (I was aware of this).
When it was STANDARD, it was like you barely touch the pedal and you get a lot of acceleration!. This make the car feel more jumpy abrupt yes , but it was what I always liked about my LR AWD.
It was (in STANDARD) like I was able get 80% of the throttle out of 50% pedal movement. -yes resulting in less efficient 50 to 100% portion-
Now with AB it seems I have less acceleration when I'm under 50% pedal travel and it "feels" sluggish , less responsive. It seem more proportional ratio acceleration/pedal travel.
I have to t say that I had the boost upgrade just seconds after the 2020.44.15. SO probably is the 2020.44.15 the culprit?.
I want back by instant abrupt "throttle reponse".
I'm the only one experiencing this situation?
I think something is wrong with your butt dyno. My part throttle acceleration with the accel boost feels like the car dropped a few hundred pounds. The torque feels a lot more meaty and it’s even more effortless to get going.