Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you think it’s gets more power to go faster???? Magic????

Acceleration Boost did not give you a bigger battery,
it utilizes more battery power to give you a faster 0-60
So you get less miles for your total battery capacity

if your argument held water, the listed range from Tesla would not have decreased by 43 miles.

It’s Range was 353mi at 4.3 sec 0-60
It’s Range is now 310mi at 3.9 sec 0-60

do the Math.

When I put my BMW 3 in Eco Mode, which reduces power, I get more miles with the gas I have. Range increases
When I engage sport mode, which increases power, I get less miles with the gas I have.
Range decreases

it’s just common sense.

It doesn't change the estimated range of the EPA estimate at all. The proof is when the Performance Stealth version with the same wheel package but much more horsepower had the exact same range as the AWD LR version.

If you drove a Performance stealth, an AWD LR, and an AWD LR w/Boost exactly the same, it would get exactly the same mileage. This has been argued ad nausem in prior threads and earlier in this thread. Even Tesla agrees with this by giving the exact same range estimate when the Performance had the same wheel package as the AWD.

How do you think it’s gets more power to go faster???? Magic????.....

it IS just common sense.
You are correct in it "gets" more power. However AGAIN if you DON'T use that "extra" power (by pressing the go peddle more) it will NOT use extra energy.

Analoge:
Buy a 10oz Coke and you drink it all
Buy a 12oz Coke and you drink 83.38% of it

Do the math and which one did you consume more energy from?
Answer: both are 120 kcal of energy. :eek:

Now that is the real common sense.;)

Last edited:
You are correct in it "gets" more power. However AGAIN if you DON'T use that "extra" power (by pressing the go peddle more) it will NOT use extra energy.

Analoge:
Buy a 10oz Coke and you drink it all
Buy a 12oz Coke and you drink 83.38% of it

Do the math and which one did you consume more energy from?
Answer: both are 120 kcal of energy. :eek:

Now that is the real common sense.;)

to compare you would have to have the same size coke.
the model 3 LR battery is the same size

the added power from acceleration boost is a 12% extra drain.

both Coke’s are 10oz

Attachments

• 37BC651F-9466-4CE0-B6FE-0127B8CD32EC.png
    37BC651F-9466-4CE0-B6FE-0127B8CD32EC.png
    439.4 KB · Views: 122
  • F68182C4-C9C0-4F4D-9AC8-84563E49E984.png
    F68182C4-C9C0-4F4D-9AC8-84563E49E984.png
    428.3 KB · Views: 89

both Coke’s are 10oz

You're showing completely different cars. The new Model 3 LR AWD has a different battery and other improvements like a heat pump than one from 3 months ago. Its has 350 miles of range vs. the 310. You're completely off base and i've explained it above. When both the Performance and LR AWD had the same tire package, they had EXACTLY THE SAME RANGE even though the Performance is much much faster than the LR AWD. Its much faster than the Boost LR AWD so you're saying that the Boost will have less range than the Performance?

When driven exactly the same for EPA purposes, they all have the same range if they all have the same wheel / tire combo. The newer Model 3 LR AWD have improvements that bumped the range to 353 miles.

You're showing completely different cars. The new Model 3 LR AWD has a different battery and other improvements like a heat pump than one from 3 months ago. Its has 350 miles of range vs. the 310. You're completely off base and i've explained it above. When both the Performance and LR AWD had the same tire package, they had EXACTLY THE SAME RANGE even though the Performance is much much faster than the LR AWD. Its much faster than the Boost LR AWD so you're saying that the Boost will have less range than the Performance?

When driven exactly the same for EPA purposes, they all have the same range if they all have the same wheel / tire combo. The newer Model 3 LR AWD have improvements that bumped the range to 353 miles.
I read a wrong email estimate on original miles.
Thought I was getting jacked on 43 miles.
thanks

both Coke’s are 10oz
Again, again, again there is 0% extra drain from Acceleration Boost if the cars are configured the same and driven the same.

You are comparing Coke and Pepsi or Apples and Oranges.

Reactions: JBT66
Apologize in advance if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if the newest 2021 "refresh" Model 3 LR AWDs are coming with the 990 or 980 motors? Or is it still random chance? I am very interested in the ghost upgrade from igenext and haven't picked up my model 3 yet, so curious if it's worth checking the motor codes before I accept delivery? Thanks!

Apologize in advance if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if the newest 2021 "refresh" Model 3 LR AWDs are coming with the 990 or 980 motors? Or is it still random chance? I am very interested in the ghost upgrade from igenext and haven't picked up my model 3 yet, so curious if it's worth checking the motor codes before I accept delivery? Thanks!
As far as we know only 2021 performance 3’s have the 980 motor. Can’t say for sure if Y’s are still coming with the 980 motor though.

As far as we know only 2021 performance 3’s have the 980 motor. Can’t say for sure if Y’s are still coming with the 980 motor though.
Thanks! And darn;) I'm cool with the 2k acceleration boost though. So, with the 2021 LR AWD starting out at 0-60 4.2, we can expect 0-60 3.7 after the upgrade?
I was close to buying a Model YP which gets 0-60 in 3.5, so I'm pretty pumped that I'll get that close to a performance model y with a much cheaper Model 3 and I'll have a lot better range. The space in the rear won't be as good, but this car is mainly for my daily driving to and from work, so don't need all that much space anyway.

Thanks! And darn;) I'm cool with the 2k acceleration boost though. So, with the 2021 LR AWD starting out at 0-60 4.2, we can expect 0-60 3.7 after the upgrade?
I was close to buying a Model YP which gets 0-60 in 3.5, so I'm pretty pumped that I'll get that close to a performance model y with a much cheaper Model 3 and I'll have a lot better range. The space in the rear won't be as good, but this car is mainly for my daily driving to and from work, so don't need all that much space anyway.
3.7 is without rollout and Tesla is switching to rollout or back and forth between, who knows. The Model Y Performance is with rollout so it is very close. Here is mine doing 3.74 and 3.53 with rollout.

If you are debating between a Performance Y and an AWD 3 why not just get a Performance 3???? That would be my choice if I had to make it now.

IMG_6039.PNG

Yesterday I was looking at some strange Scan My Tesla readings, but im not sure if these are related to new software Acceleration boost or related to the Supercharge charge just performed at V3.
I was reading 1144 Amp at Max Discharge Current
Since 2019.36.2.1 firmware. Max discharge current went from 1200 to 1340 and I was accustomed to see this value.
Now a day later I see again 1144 Amp

Related to this the reading of Max Discharge Power" was at only 344 kW at 93% SoC and over 50°C mid battery temp. I have read in the past values over 400 easily even without AB.
In addition i read that the power delivered should be near 370 kW (after AB install).
I was limited in POWER?

So I tried some WOT and I recorded on Scan My Tesla an awesome 374 kW delivered. and 374>344...
Someone with scan my tesla has same strange readings?

Last edited:
3.7 is without rollout and Tesla is switching to rollout or back and forth between, who knows. The Model Y Performance is with rollout so it is very close. Here is mine doing 3.74 and 3.53 with rollout.

If you are debating between a Performance Y and an AWD 3 why not just get a Performance 3???? That would be my choice if I had to make it now.

View attachment 618520
Well the M3P is not that much faster but is quite a bit more expensive and comes with wheels I don't want. SO it would also cost me 3k for new wheels plus I would have to try to sell the wheels it comes with. The LR AWD with the ingenext module is still $5,600 cheaper than the model 3 perf and comes with wheels I like and plan to keep. 0-60 in 3.7 is still a lot of fun and not that much slower than 3.1. IF they still offered a stealth performance model 3 I would have definitely gone for that.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute