Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the M3P is not that much faster but is quite a bit more expensive and comes with wheels I don't want. SO it would also cost me 3k for new wheels plus I would have to try to sell the wheels it comes with. The LR AWD with the ingenext module is still $5,600 cheaper than the model 3 perf and comes with wheels I like and plan to keep. 0-60 in 3.7 is still a lot of fun and not that much slower than 3.1. IF they still offered a stealth performance model 3 I would have definitely gone for that.

from a performance perspective, 3.1s is way faster than 3.7s. It’s about 2-3 car lengths instantly from a dig which is quite a bit. Dropping 0.5s is hard to do once you are under 4s. I ran a P100D and it’s about 0.5s faster from a dig without Ludicrous on and it felt like the car murdered me easily. Pretty sure that’s what a Boost LR AWD would feel like

Reactions: Arctic_White
from a performance perspective, 3.1s is way faster than 3.7s. It’s about 2-3 car lengths instantly from a dig which is quite a bit. Dropping 0.5s is hard to do once you are under 4s. I ran a P100D and it’s about 0.5s faster from a dig without Ludicrous on and it felt like the car murdered me easily. Pretty sure that’s what a Boost LR AWD would feel like

isn’t it 3.1 with rollout on performance vs 3.7 without and 3.5 with on a boost LR. So it’s really only about a 0.4s difference

Again, again, again there is 0% extra drain from Acceleration Boost if the cars are configured the same and driven the same.

You are comparing Coke and Pepsi or Apples and Oranges.

I agree that there should be no difference if they are configured and driven the same. Even if the extra 'boost' acceleration is used, the difference should be minimal because these are electric motors and not internal combustion engines. They don't become wildly inefficient at high power settings. At the end of the day, the kinetic energy change is exactly the same whether you are getting from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds or 3.7 seconds. There are undoubtedly SOME inefficiencies, but I'd wager its in the low-single-digit arena.

Well the M3P is not that much faster but is quite a bit more expensive and comes with wheels I don't want. SO it would also cost me 3k for new wheels plus I would have to try to sell the wheels it comes with. The LR AWD with the ingenext module is still $5,600 cheaper than the model 3 perf and comes with wheels I like and plan to keep. 0-60 in 3.7 is still a lot of fun and not that much slower than 3.1. IF they still offered a stealth performance model 3 I would have definitely gone for that.
I'm in the same camp. I'm going with LR AWD but would really, really, really prefer the stealth. Anyone know why they stopped offering it? Tesla, if you're listening, please offer a M3P with the ability to choose smaller wheels at a reduced cost. That would save many the hassle of having to sell the big wheels and tires.

I'm in the same camp. I'm going with LR AWD but would really, really, really prefer the stealth. Anyone know why they stopped offering it? Tesla, if you're listening, please offer a M3P with the ability to choose smaller wheels at a reduced cost. That would save many the hassle of having to sell the big wheels and tires.
That was my dilemma also. I got the LR AWD + boost and happy with it. I didn't want the 20's nor the hassle of changing the wheels myself.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Anyone know if the LR boost model 3 has similar 0-60 as MYP? Seems on paper they both do 3.5 with 1ft rollout. I’d be curious to see a drag race lol. Has anyone found any youtube videos of this?
Looks like it would be close between a 3AWD w/AB vs Y Performance. Here is a Dragy of a Y Performance 0-60 and my last 0-60.

Little 1/4 fun in MY PUP
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 6.42.58 AM.png

IMG_6039.PNG

Looks like it would be close between a 3AWD w/AB vs Y Performance. Here is a Dragy of a Y Performance 0-60 and my last 0-60.

Little 1/4 fun in MY PUP
View attachment 623097
View attachment 623098

I was looking up numbers for each, turns out even the quarter miles are almost identical as well. 11.9 at 116mph. I'm taking delivery of an Accel boost 3 in a few days, and i was worried it would not have that neck snapping acceleration of the Performance models, but i drove the MYP and I thought it was more than fast enough, i felt queasy after like 4 0-40 red light launches haha. I'm excited!

So, I got my Boost 50 installed. That was kind of challenging, with the angles to get the harness attached to the MCU. Used a channel lock to hold it and get it to the right spot.

Anyway, it’s pretty sweet. I did 0-60 in 3.9, no rollout. That was at 50% SOC, and on an incline. So I guess that’s the same as when everyone quotes 3.7 with rollout. Whatever. Maybe it could do 3.7 without rollout if I had a higher SOC, and a flat surface. It literally made me nauseous. I will never need to accelerate that fast, but it’s fun to know I can, and know I can light up almost any car that pulls up beside me.

I have a 2018 AWD, so I could do the ghost, but honestly, why? This thing is nuts fast.

Playing with the other settings. I noticed that when you use the window button for the rear seat heaters, the on state is not reflected on the center display. So no way the know if on or off, or how high, unless you use the app.

I haven’t gotten the door unlock to be just right yet, but I’m zeroing in on it. The frunk and trunk open is cool, but I don’t have springs to lift it, so not terribly useful for me.

wiper cycling with the left stalk works too, but again, no UI feedback, so not terribly useful for me.

overall, a fun way to make your friends and family barf when you accelerate.

So, I got my Boost 50 installed. That was kind of challenging, with the angles to get the harness attached to the MCU. Used a channel lock to hold it and get it to the right spot.

Anyway, it’s pretty sweet. I did 0-60 in 3.9, no rollout. That was at 50% SOC, and on an incline. So I guess that’s the same as when everyone quotes 3.7 with rollout. Whatever. Maybe it could do 3.7 without rollout if I had a higher SOC, and a flat surface. It literally made me nauseous. I will never need to accelerate that fast, but it’s fun to know I can, and know I can light up almost any car that pulls up beside me.

I have a 2018 AWD, so I could do the ghost, but honestly, why? This thing is nuts fast.

Playing with the other settings. I noticed that when you use the window button for the rear seat heaters, the on state is not reflected on the center display. So no way the know if on or off, or how high, unless you use the app.

I haven’t gotten the door unlock to be just right yet, but I’m zeroing in on it. The frunk and trunk open is cool, but I don’t have springs to lift it, so not terribly useful for me.

wiper cycling with the left stalk works too, but again, no UI feedback, so not terribly useful for me.

overall, a fun way to make your friends and family barf when you accelerate.

oh definitely should be quicker at higher SOC. There’s a decent amount of power loss at 50%. Try again above 70%! I think you’ll see a substantial improvement

Reactions: Npap