Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope that's the case. I won't get FSD for sure, and neither AB, so not worried about that at all when I sell my car. But unfortunately, the word is out that Tesla might cancel those features on privately sold cars, so sellers who have either or both of those options, might have a smaller market when they want to sell. Hopefully there will be legislation soon that if an owner pays for a permanent improvement, not even Tesla can remove it ever (like it should be), and problem solved.

• Disagree
Reactions: Autoxer7 and fjs21
I won't get FSD for sure, and neither AB, so not worried about that at all when I sell my car. But unfortunately, the word is out that Tesla might cancel those features on privately sold cars, .

not sure why the "word is out" about things that aren't actually true.

I think they call that spreading FUD.

AFAIK any car that had FSD removed passed back through Teslas ownership to have that happen- and no cars, ever, had AB removed to my memory.

Nothing special and just par but did a March 0-60 Saturday morning.
IMG_7001.PNG

Hey all, first of all, gotta say, awesome community! So a thanks ahead of time. I'm considering buying our second Tesla at this point, however, i am a bit pulled in multiple directions on multiple accounts. I want to get the performance, however, i am worried about the smoothness of the ride, and the tires having a thin wall is it? I'm in the DC area, and there are harsher roads and bumps.

Can anyone advise about this? Also, would it be easy switching wheels to 18 and selling those? I am not very experienced on all this, but my ultimate is ride quality :) man i wish the model 3s had ajustable suspensions! Oh also, if i opt to get away from the performance, then i DEFINITELY will get the AB.

Thanks in advance!

@maseren I think you answered your own question - Long Range + AB with 18" has the smoothest ride, handles poor roads & bumps much better than the 20"s & 0-60 is so close as to be almost irrelevant. Lower cost tire replacement & insurance too.

It's also fun to drive a 'stealth' Model 3 without red callipers & spoiler giving away what the car can do.

@maseren I think you answered your own question - Long Range + AB with 18" has the smoothest ride, handles poor roads & bumps much better than the 20"s & 0-60 is so close as to be almost irrelevant. Lower cost tire replacement & insurance too.

It's also fun to drive a 'stealth' Model 3 without red callipers & spoiler giving away what the car can do.
Thanks Drew. Yeah I keep going back and forth on this. I'm considering the performance and then changing the tires out for 18inch ones but at the end of the day you maybe right, is it worth the headache of doing all that.

Anyone that tried both cars care to comment?

Thanks Drew. Yeah I keep going back and forth on this. I'm considering the performance and then changing the tires out for 18inch ones but at the end of the day you maybe right, is it worth the headache of doing all that.

Anyone that tried both cars care to comment?
18” vs 20” isn’t the only consideration - you mention ‘bumps’ on your roads. The P model suspension is lower, my next door neighbour has the 3P & in a few places local to us his car scrapes the ground but mine doesn’t. Potholes are also more likely to crack his larger alloy rims so he takes great care on poor road surfaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Npap
18” vs 20” isn’t the only consideration - you mention ‘bumps’ on your roads. The P model suspension is lower, my next door neighbour has the 3P & in a few places local to us his car scrapes the ground but mine doesn’t. Potholes are also more likely to crack his larger alloy rims so he takes great care on poor road surfaces.
That's another good point. More and more in agreeing with you. I think an AB is the way I'll go.

oh definitely should be quicker at higher SOC. There’s a decent amount of power loss at 50%. Try again above 70%! I think you’ll see a substantial improvement

I just got my AWD M3 LR this past weekend and was blown away by the acceleration all over again (compared to when I test drove it 2 months ago). Shocked and excited to read that the power loss is noticable at 50% SOC, because I was driving my car at 50% and it still felt super quick. My wife, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law were amazed at the speed.

Now I have to remember to have the SOC at atleast 80% if I want to really show off the power. This is great to know.

OMFG the boost is awesome don't think I'll be asking for a refund. It feels like the reigns have been unleashed below 60mph. Especially 0 to 30 feels significantly quicker than unboosted, very impressed.
You guys are really making me want to get the AB next year when my bonus money hits! :p

FWIW there was an actual sale on FSD in early 2019.

It was widely acknowledged, including by Elon, to be a mistake they would not repeat and was killed after about 10 days.

Despite that people seem to keep thinking there's gonna be more sales any day now on SW.

What do you mean a sale any day now on "SW"? What's SW stand for?

I just got my AWD M3 LR this past weekend and was blown away by the acceleration all over again (compared to when I test drove it 2 months ago). Shocked and excited to read that the power loss is noticable at 50% SOC, because I was driving my car at 50% and it still felt super quick. My wife, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law were amazed at the speed.

Now I have to remember to have the SOC at atleast 80% if I want to really show off the power. This is great to know.

You guys are really making me want to get the AB next year when my bonus money hits! :p

What do you mean a sale any day now on "SW"? What's SW stand for?

SW is software.

Acceleration boost, FSD, etc.

People keep thinking there'll be a sale soon on one or more of those- but excepting that one case I mention they later said was a mistaken, they just don't really do that.

I'm curious if it's possible to make M3P faster than the stock settings.

Currently, no.

The only "boosts" offered in the aftermarket are on slower trims, and are basically just copying existing Tesla trims patched on (like patching the tesla accel boost code on to a car that didn't buy it- or patching the LR RWD code on to an SR RWD car)

Since there's no faster-than-P code to copy, there's no upgrade available.

One is allegedly being worked on- we shall see if it happens.... (it remains unclear how much, if any, added performance the system is safely capable of)

I am pretty sure its buried somewhere in this 130 page thread but will still ask.

After purchasing $2k upgrade of Acceleration Boost, has anyone notice their "range" or efficiency assumes continuing the same driving behavior pre-puchase of AC ? Still on the fence and researching if this is something I need.

Had the option for stealth for 2020 model 3 lrawd, however did not want to change my configuration as it may had delayed my delivery pick up date and missed my rebates.

I am pretty sure its buried somewhere in this 130 page thread but will still ask.

After purchasing $2k upgrade of Acceleration Boost, has anyone notice their "range" or efficiency assumes continuing the same driving behavior pre-puchase of AC ? Still on the fence and researching if this is something I need.

Had the option for stealth for 2020 model 3 lrawd, however did not want to change my configuration as it may had delayed my delivery pick up date and missed my rebate
If you change your driving behavior (more aggressive acceleration), then yes, this will impact your range/efficiency.
If you do not change behavior materially, your efficiency should stay roughly the same.

How does the "feel of acceleration" compare to the Model 3 Performance? Did you try both the P and the LR + AB? I've tried P and really enjoyed acceleration feeling, but not sure if the LR + AB feels the same ...

P owners say "P is way better!", and LR + AB owners say "it's almost the same!". But, I would like to hear from someone who tested both. Do you think I'll miss the P acceleration feeling if I buy the LR + AB?

How does the "feel of acceleration" compare to the Model 3 Performance? Did you try both the P and the LR + AB? I've tried P and really enjoyed acceleration feeling, but not sure if the LR + AB feels the same ...

P owners say "P is way better!", and LR + AB owners say "it's almost the same!". But, I would like to hear from someone who tested both. Do you think I'll miss the P acceleration feeling if I buy the LR + AB?

This will forever remain a subjective thing though so really nobody can give you an answer that will necessarily apply to you. G forces are not noticed the same to everyone as we all have different tolerances and sensitivity to these physiological forces depending on many individual factors.

I have tried every iteration of the LR and P (through the Ingenext mod) and yes the P pulls noticeably harder than even LR with AB. It pushes you back with almost 1G of force. The difference is primarily felt in the low end - maybe up to 30 mph, then past that to about 45 mph or so - it's still pulling harder but the difference is degraded. I noticed the difference going from LR to LR+AB a bit less than I noticed going from LR+AB to P. It's just a matter of understanding that every half second you shave off becomes exponentially more G-force acting on you. How well you pick up on that is completely dependent on the person.

Check out this video from youtube, will visually explain the difference.