Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought the boost upgrade and did pre and post Draggy tests to compare. I have a LR AWD w/ 980 motor, 22k miles, stock aero wheels. Conditions: temp 36 deg F outside. Did pre boost runs then drove home, downloaded the update and re-charged to 94% and did the post boost runs. Drove around a bit to warm up the battery(still had about 5-6 dots pre boost runs and 0-1 dots for post boost runs) and warm up the tires before both the pre and post tests. All times are with a 1 ft rollout and a validated slope.

Pre boost update: 4.07 sec/82% SOC, 4.11/88%
Post boost update: 3.57/84% SOC, 3.65/85%, 3.67/90%, 3.69/90%.

So, pretty much 0.5 sec as advertised. I definitely felt the difference in "kick". Seemed much more noticeable after 20+ mph but still noticeable from launch. Definitely worth it to me. I really want the full unlock(and would pay 2k more) to P levels though. That would be awesome.
If they let us unlocked to P mode I would pay it because I would still be a few thousand better off than if I bought the car as a new stealth. Would be cool if they allowed the full unlock (for money of course) to cars that have the hardware for it.

If they let us unlocked to P mode I would pay it because I would still be a few thousand better off than if I bought the car as a new stealth. Would be cool if they allowed the full unlock (for money of course) to cars that have the hardware for it.

I think the issue would be (yeah here we go again) is that factually (no speculation) we know this:

1.) There are LR AWD models out there with 980 rear motor part numbers.

2.) There are LR AWD models out there (newer) with 990 rear motor part numbers.

3.) There are no 3P models out there with 990 rear motor part numbers.

From there, my extrapolation:

We don't know if the 990 is capable of the same power that the 980 is. I don't claim to know either way. But we know that both the 980 and 990 motors are capable of LR AWD boost mode, because Tesla has released that to the public for all owners. If the 990 isn't capable of the full performance of the P model, then it would definitely annoy a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of LR AWD owners if Tesla releases a full P upgrade to only older 980 motor owners. As it happens, I suspect we won't see any further speed boosts to the LR AWD before we see (if we see) a boost update to the P cars, Ludicrous mode or otherwise.

Time will tell, of course.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
I'm curious how much this will net Tesla just in, say by the end of this year.

Are there any data out there about how many LR AWD's have been delivered to date? I've seen a google doc somewhere a long time ago with people who filled in their car and there was some approximate % mix of LR AWD sales, which I know is probably the next best seller from the SR+. And then we have numbers on the deliveries themselves so maybe with some extrapolation's we could get a rough estimate. We need Ben Sullins to free the data.

If even 50,000 of all LR AWD 3's to date sprung for this - that's $100 million right there. This kind of passive revenue could really be a boost to Tesla's bottom line and I'd imagine if the uptake is good enough, they'll continue to do this and then maybe our chances of seeing another one offered in the future will increase. Just some food for thought.

The LR AWD uses a different part number for the rear motor since earlier this year (990) vs the 3P (980). This argument has been beaten to death. They may be the same. They may not be the same.

All 980s are the same. We know this for a fact based on the parts catalog.

The 980 and 990 are not the same. We know this for a fact based on the EPA numbers.

Moving on from those facts-

It's likely the 990 can't handle P output, because if it's cheaper (or the same price AND more reliable) and it CAN handle P output they'd use it in the P.

They don't.

I know someone suggested maybe they just have SO MANY extra 980s they're using them up before changing that- but they've been using the 990 (starting in Europe) since January 2019, and 0 have appeared in a P.

Nobody keeps an entire year of extra parts in inventory ahead of building anything with them. That's insane from every perspective- logistics, manufacturing, supply chain, budgeting, etc...

So the only thing we can conclude from the 990 still not appearing in a P is that it can't be used there.

Which suggests either:

This is it for AWD owners, as the 990 can't do more than this.

Or

They will indeed do a "980 only" additional $2000 (or whatever) unlock down the road.

All I can say for a fact is that my P3D ran 2.8 ( 0-60 ) 3 times in a row at the Joliet Autoban in Joliet Illinois.

You've been asked for it several times to support this claim and provided none.

It's also almost 0.2 quicker than any other P anyone has ever heard of.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

You haven't even provided the regular kind.

Who measured it? What did they use to do so? Where is the time slip?

Ok so I caved and ordered the boost upgrade...so how long before it’s ready for download.
??....like 5 min later?....next day???...will it show up on your phone Tesla app???

It took our car between 1 to 2 hours to activate the upgrade. Make sure you have the Sport driving mode option showing before you test it.

We purchased Acceleration boost 12/18/2019 at about 7:20 PM. We went out for a drive about 15 minutes later and I didn't feel any difference. We let the car update the firmware from 40.2 to 40.2.1, which showed up during our test drive. Checking the forum again, I saw that we should have Sport mode replacing Standard mode. About 1 hour after purchase our car still had only Standard mode. I tried a scroll wheel reset and it still had only Standard mode. Finally at 10:15 PM we checked the car one last time and it showed Sport mode. A test drive confirmed the extra power. It was nice, noticeable, worth $2k for us, but not outrageous.

Reactions: ZappCatt
If you’re reading this thread and don’t yet own a Model 3, look into the Stealth version. I paid just $1500 extra for 3.0 second 0-60mph time. It’s ridiculously quick. It never gets old. There were LOTS of stealth’s available all over the USA 3 weeks ago when I was shopping for mine.

It's a 2k difference FWIW (all else being equal like color, interior, etc) but absolutely that makes more sense (if you can find one) for a new buyer.

On the other hand there's huge #s of folks for whom that was NOT an option at all (for the many months the P3D- wasn't sold at all...) or was an $11,000 option (for those who DID have the option to buy one in 2018)- for those folks this 2k unlock is pretty relevant.

So, here's another thought:

Doesn't this now make AWD+ (or whatever we are calling it) significantly faster than a non performance model S? I think the S clocks in at around 4.4 seconds....wondering if model S owners will have an option to opt for this too down the road?

Maybe not since it's a heavier car so likely the power output is already similar to the AWD+...same as how the model x is slower than the S. But I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone ponder what it might mean for non model 3 owners...

...no?

The non-P S lists at 3.7 seconds (which is without rollout since Tesla dishonestly only uses rollout for P models)

So, this was sticking in the back of my mind, and there are a couple things to clarify here....I was referring to older model S cars, not brand new ones. Yes, a brand new long range model S is rated for 3.8s 0-100 km/h (which is about what the AWD+ now measures)....but a 2019 standard range model S is listed at 4.2s. So after this upgrade, an AWD model 3 is faster than a 2019 standard range model S, and pretty much neck and neck with a long range non performance model S....that was the point I was trying to make originally so just wanted to clarify that....there, now I feel better :cool:

upload_2019-12-21_22-18-5.png

Here is my little test.

My car has Heavy 20" Staggered wheels, at the time of the test I had about 280lbs of extra weight in my trunk and SOC was 61% .

For me it was worth it, I used to do 4.37sec with 18" aero wheels and without the 5% power increase of last month, then I added my 20" wheels got the 5% power increase and did bests of 4.44's with 100% SOC.......... now I was able to do 3.97sec with more weight on my car (280lbs of tools) in the trunk and 61%SOC ........... Im pretty sure if I put the 18"s I will be in the 3.6-3.7's easilly.

3C6797D0-6D55-48AD-8E3E-CA21D6245839.jpeg

You've been asked for it several times to support this claim and provided none.

It's also almost 0.2 quicker than any other P anyone has ever heard of.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

You haven't even provided the regular kind.

Who measured it? What did they use to do so? Where is the time slip?

The fastest P I've seen was back in August by the ZerosportHQ guy which was before this recent 5% bump. He's got a thread on these forums with his car stripped out and over 400 lb weight reduction. 2.96 without 1' rollout and 2.74 with 1' rollout. Here's him doing it on instagram.

With a stock P, I find it hard to believe the 2.8 time unless it was weight reduced or the testing is faulty. Or you're a midget or super skinny and weigh 85 pounds soaking wet. I'm not judging. :p

@Garlan Garner do you think you can you repeat this performance with a Dragy or VBOX and show us? I'd be willing to loan you my Dragy as I have for phantasms if you wanted.

If Tesla did a try before you buy deal for the Performance Boost, they might get more people ending up buying it. Personally, I want it but can't see paying $2k because I might be disappointed with the boost. But if I got to try it and was very happy with it, well then I'd want to keep it and buy it. If I could have found a Stealth Performance Unicorn, I would have gotten that instead because I prefer the beefier 18" wheels and no interest in the larger low profile wheels.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
If Tesla did a try before you buy deal for the Performance Boost, they might get more people ending up buying it. Personally, I want it but can't see paying $2k because I might be disappointed with the boost. But if I got to try it and was very happy with it, well then I'd want to keep it and buy it. If I could have found a Stealth Performance Unicorn, I would have gotten that instead because I prefer the beefier 18" wheels and no interest in the larger low profile wheels.

So, this option is only for the LR AWD models. Many folks pick this trim because once the LR RWD was taken off menu it was the least expensive trim to get the full premium interior. For most folks the AWD has way more power than anyone needs. Most folks don’t typically launch hard light after light and if you have passengers they will be giving you an earful after a couple pulls. So, who buys this option? Enthusiasts looking to squeeze some more performance out of the car they enjoy driving or maybe the buyer who really wanted the Performance trim but it was outside their budget, etc. I think it is cool Tesla added this option but I would be surprised if they had higher than a 10-15% take rate.

I suspect they will let this option run for a few months and then increase the boost another few percentage points for all takers...as a way to drive more uptake from new purchasers. They won’t want to tick off the early adopters but will want to drive more revenue. Personally, I want more boost for $2,000 and would pull the trigger if 0-60 was 3.4 seconds...

So, this option is only for the LR AWD models. Many folks pick this trim because once the LR RWD was taken off menu it was the least expensive trim to get the full premium interior. For most folks the AWD has way more power than anyone needs. Most folks don’t typically launch hard light after light and if you have passengers they will be giving you an earful after a couple pulls. So, who buys this option? Enthusiasts looking to squeeze some more performance out of the car they enjoy driving or maybe the buyer who really wanted the Performance trim but it was outside their budget, etc. I think it is cool Tesla added this option but I would be surprised if they had higher than a 10-15% take rate.
According to the poll in this thread the 'yes' votes are around 35%....now that's people on this forum, which is admittedly the more savvy owners, so maybe you aren't that far off when you expand to all AWD owners since I'll bet many of them dont even know that this exists (even though Tesla emailed everyone)....