Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TN is in the stone ages. No rebates, and it costs *more* to register an EV than an ICE here. Also no EV exemption for HOV lanes (doesn't matter as HOV lanes are not enforced at all). In AZ there were no state rebates, but a 5 year registration was $50 and you got single driver HOV access as well.

And FWIW I paid just under $6k to trade up from my AWD to a slightly newer, lower mileage used P3D. @phantasms if you're willing to pony up another $4k you may want to keep your eyes out for similar opportunities.
Same here in MO... no state rebates, I got mine when it was $3,750 federal credit, but nothing else. We also have to pay I think $150? $175? a year for a EV registration sticker, so all the people saying EV's need to pay their fair share for not paying gas taxes and sorely wrong.

TN is in the stone ages. No rebates, and it costs *more* to register an EV than an ICE here. Also no EV exemption for HOV lanes (doesn't matter as HOV lanes are not enforced at all). In AZ there were no state rebates, but a 5 year registration was $50 and you got single driver HOV access as well.

And FWIW I paid just under $6k to trade up from my AWD to a slightly newer, lower mileage used P3D. @phantasms if you're willing to pony up another $4k you may want to keep your eyes out for similar opportunities.

Very interesting. I applied for a trade in price on my Tesla account but never heard back.

Very interesting. I applied for a trade in price on my Tesla account but never heard back.

Don’t go through Tesla. I found a good used option from a fellow TMC member and then contacted local higher end used car dealers to see what they would offer for my car. Once I got a dealer to offer a good price, I was able to negotiate for them to buy the car directly on my behalf and processing mine as a trade so I had a very small tax liability. That saved me $3k.

it costs *more* to register an EV than an ICE here

It should.

EVs don't pay gas tax, which is how states typically fund their highways.

(even that that, the additional EV registration fee here in NC is significantly less than I used to pay in gasoline tax in a year....dunno if that's true for TN or not.... and not that I like taxes, but I DO like funded and maintained highways)

Reactions: arghx7

I just got mine back. They were about $3-5k below what I would have expected, but I guess there's no shortage at this point. If I didn't have FSD, I may have considered the upgrade to P, but I'd have to repurchase that, my PPF and window tint and that's a $10k add on. So all in for me, it's not worth trading in a 1.5yr old car to lay out $20k ($10k delta on the cars, $10k in FSD/etc) to get the extra 1 second. I'd rather spend $8k on the Boost upgrade, MPP coilovers and a nice set of 19's and forgo the extra .5 seconds 0-60, 20" wheels and track mode.

I bought the boost for $2k. I would pay $2k for an additional boost all the way to P, but not any more than that. $4k used to be the delta between an AWD and a Stealth P. So it's surely pricing that can make sense for Tesla.

4k has never been the AWD->P Delta AFAIK.

It was $11,000 in 2018 to go from AWD->P3D- and $16,000 for P3D+

Later the P buyers got an unexpected, after-the-fact, 5k refund if they gave up free lifetime supercharging... so that made it 6k and 11k net difference.

In 2019, it was still about that for the P3D-, eventually into this year it's down to $8000....

For brief periods of 2019, if you could find yourself an inventory one (since you couldn't order one) a P3D- was a 2k difference if you knew to ask for it....but nobody really understood why this was happening.

4k has never been the AWD->P Delta AFAIK.
In 2019, it was still about that for the P3D-, eventually into this year it's down to $8000....

For brief periods of 2019, if you could find yourself an inventory one (since you couldn't order one) a P3D- was a 2k difference if you knew to ask for it....but nobody really understood why this was happening.

The current delta is $8k on the AWD to P3D+, but what's the value on the wheels, spoiler, brakes/suspension and track mode (at least in the consumer's mind)? At one point, Tesla said that hardware was worth $5k. I'm just struggling how Tesla prices half of the acceleration boost at $2k and the other half at $6k ($2-3k maybe, but not $6k).

The current delta is $8k on the AWD to P3D+, but what's the value on the wheels, spoiler, brakes/suspension and track mode (at least in the consumer's mind)? At one point, Tesla said that hardware was worth $5k.

Yeah but at other times they said it was worth $0 :)

I'm just struggling how Tesla prices half of the acceleration boost at $2k and the other half at $6k ($2-3k maybe, but not $6k).

That'd be the beauty of offering a full P unlock to the 980 owners now for another 2/3/4k whatever... since there's no more LR AWD 980s being built- you don't hurt FUTURE P sales at all... so it's not like people would run out the get a "cheaper" P via this route buying a new LR AWD.

Personally I'd say 3k is probably the sweet spot because thinking the "other" half second is worth 2k is easy to get your head around, then another 1k for track mode isn't nuts.

The downside of course is it tells new LR AWD owners "Hey you're buying crappier, downgraded, hardware"

True, but what % of Tesla owners have any idea there is a difference in rear motors. The handful of people on this forum that care are probably a small fraction of total owners.

That's the point.

Right NOW very few 990 owners know they got an inferior product.

But suddenly Tesla announces a P unlock for LR AWD. Excited 990 owner wants to buy it.

But sorry you can't have one since you got a 990- NOW they know.

I would be less annoyed if I believed I was being given good/complete information on how our roads and highways were actually being funded instead of bromides about how gas and registration taxes were used. And, in relation to the maintenance need created by our vehicles as opposed to the need created by long haul trucks.

Reactions: Scott7
Right NOW very few 990 owners know they got an inferior product.

But suddenly Tesla announces a P unlock for LR AWD. Excited 990 owner wants to buy it.

But sorry you can't have one since you got a 990- NOW they know.

Personally I don't care if someone else got a performance upgrade that I can't get. Granted I live in Europe and there are very few (if any) AWD 980's here so its not like that would be an upgrade path to the Performance anyway. Same for Asia I assume.
I would only consider the 990 inferior from the moment that there is an actual upgrade that the 990 is unable to get.

Reactions: silverflash
They changed the power distribution towards the front some, but power was still increased overall. Wugz CANbus readings that I linked in one of my prior posts show you that.

Did anyone who purchased the Boost upgrade pull CANbus data before and after? I'm going to purchase the Boost upgrade later this week, but was wondering if anyone attempted to replicate Wugz results? At 90% state of charge, my max front power is 133.5kW and my rear is 228.0kW. I'm going to try some runs tomorrow at 50% and 95%, and this will run the same tests after the Boost upgrade is downloaded. Just curious if anyone else did the same.

Did anyone who purchased the Boost upgrade pull CANbus data before and after? I'm going to purchase the Boost upgrade later this week, but was wondering if anyone attempted to replicate Wugz results? At 90% state of charge, my max front power is 133.5kW and my rear is 228.0kW. I'm going to try some runs tomorrow at 50% and 95%, and this will run the same tests after the Boost upgrade is downloaded. Just curious if anyone else did the same.

See Wugz first post in this reddit thread for both before and after values.

See Wugz first post in this reddit thread for both before and after values.
Thanks - I'm familiar with the Wugz reddit post, I was just curious if anyone else had data points to show how consistent the numbers are across cars given we've heard some people have unicorns that run better times and others worse (e.g. the 0-60 leaderboard that exists somewhere in the Dragy app).

Welp. I guess 980 AWD to P isn’t happening.

A37E7609-992C-4EB7-9CB6-2BE434DE7272.png