Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost upgrade, no software update needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly, and that is why I think it is even more likely for them to raise the price. Simply because they never have. Even if they don't add track mode to it, based on inflation alone, they are selling it for less than it was 2 years ago in real dollars.

This evening, I decided to take the plunge, and purchased the acceleration boost upgrade on my phone for my 2022 M3LR. For context, my vehicle sits in my apartment building’s parking garage (no Wi-Fi). When a software update is needed I typically let the car take care of itself while I’m at work as my office as my parking space is in range of my company’s Wi-Fi network. In the past I have connected the car to my iPhone’s data connection via tethering, but rarely.

Back to tonight - I purchase the upgrade and, obviously, am eager to experience the fruits of the damage to my credit card. I get in the car and connect it to my iPhone’s data connection. After a few seconds of the car’s data symbol indicating I’m on Wi-Fi, I start puttering through the settings to see if there’s an available software update. Nothing is showing as available. When selecting the drive settings, I notice that the car’s acceleration setting now has “sport” available (an indicator that the acceleration boost package has been enabled).

Strange, right? As the car hasn’t had a software update since I purchased the upgrade 4-5 minutes ago on my phone.

I check the “software” tab and the vehicle indicates “acceleration boost” package being enabled.

Huh.

I take the car out for a spin and - woah - yes the car is unquestionably accelerating faster!!

What gives?

Perhaps a recent software update placed the upgrade in a local folder, to make the purchase experience quicker, so that the car only had to receive an “unlock signal” from Tesla’s servers once the purchase has successfully executed? The app on my phone did show a disclaimer that the car may take several hours for the software to upgrade itself. But - no update took place.
Same here -app says it can take hrs to get update -I just saw it appear under my car setting after like 5min. -just hope it doesn’t degrade my battery quicker :/

Im still getting used to 'STANDARD' setting and the expressions of bewilderment on all passengers when ramping onto a freeway. Not sure why I'd need a few more fractions of a second worth of performance when Im still scared of 'STANDARD' and mostly drive on 'CHILL'.

Is there any functionally relevant reason to get it?

All depends on how quickly you adjust to doses of adrenalin...

I'll tell you why I went with it originally (besides enjoying fast/quick vehicles). One of the dirty little secrets about almost EVs, is that all the performance stats they quote you are under ideal circumstances which have things that need to align to get the stated performance that you might not be aware. This is not even accounting for production variations.

Let's list 2 of the key things that can easily impact your acceleration times.
  • Battery pack charge level
  • Battery pack temp
You'd be surprised (until you understand it) how much these 2 variable can impact your acceleration performance. Unlike a ICE engine, the performance usually varies as your "fuel tank" runs dry. With an ICE car, less fuel in the tank doesn't hurt the engine's performance and as the tank empties, less weight helps the power to weight ratio. All times Tesla, or other EVs companies list, for acceleration runs are with the battery pack at, or very near, 100% charge. As the charge level goes down, the performance starts to fall off.

If the battery pack is not at the optimal temp, it can't provide all the power it is capable of even if 100% charged. When battery temps are not optimal (usually when too cold), they can't deliver the energy as fast as the motor can use it, thus resulting in reduced acceleration.

So take a cold day, cold battery pack, at 50% charge and now your M3 Long Range (LR) won't do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. It might have turned into a Model Y Long Range and now runs 0-60 in 4.8 instead. We don't want to charge to 100% all the time for battery chemistry in the Long Range models as it is bad for degradation. As a result on the street, you will almost never see the claimed times in most of your driving that Tesla advertises.

I like to call those times, and seat of the pants feeling, the "freshly charged feeling." The car just feels a bit zipper and sharper when you hit the throttle. As the charge level falls off so does the fun.

With acceleration boost, I basically have the freshly charged feeling all the time when compared to the stock LR. I could be at 50% charge level with a boosted LR and have a cold battery pack (but not frozen) and it will still outperform the stock LR. That is why I love boost. I still have a very quick car no matter what the charge level. Even at 75% charge level, my M3 LR ran 0-60 in 3.73 second with no rollout. The battery pack was at about 50F too. Not exactly optimal temps.

Compare that to stock under ideal conditions of 4.2 seconds. You WILL notice the difference. For the time I had it full charged for a trip and a warm pack, it had an even fresher charged feeling.

That is why I love the boost, no matter what the charge level, it is an absolute blast to drive.

Depends on your driving style.
If you find yourself doing full accelerations up to 60 mph, like freeway on ramps, passing on large city streets, or like to zoom off when the light turns green - then you will notice a difference with boost.

Or if you like to drive other people and show off the speed, that's a reason.

If you don't do these things, then you don't need the boost.

Realistically you don't need it. The LR is very fast as-is. I never had that disappointing feeling - I wish this car accelerated faster. Unlike my old car back in the day.
And while the boost is noticeable, that's only for a day or so, then it just becomes normal.

That said, I'm happy with my boost purchase. I use it frequently and appreciate it.
Accelerating like that though, takes some % hit on the range, but it's worth it to me.

Compare that to stock under ideal conditions of 4.2 seconds. You WILL notice the difference. For the time I had it full charged for a trip and a warm pack, it had an even fresher charged feeling.

That is why I love the boost, no matter what the charge level, it is an absolute blast to drive.

Realistically you don't need it. The LR is very fast as-is. I never had that disappointing feeling - I wish this car accelerated faster. Unlike my old car back in the day.
And while the boost is noticeable, that's only for a day or so, then it just becomes normal.

That said, I'm happy with my boost purchase. I use it frequently and appreciate it.
Accelerating like that though, takes some % hit on the range, but it's worth it to me.

I think as we have more and more EVs on the road those fractions of seconds at any charge level will count. For now, sadly, its mostly ICEs around you, and Im really just yawning when dealing with them on lane changes or otherwise, even with the stock car on 'CHILL'. Still Ive had less than a month of ownership and the delta I feel between now and then is strong.

Damn that sucks. I would position it in a way that you need boost sometimes to avoid collisions on the highway like when someone is about to merge in your lane lol
^ is a good point, but will eventually become irrelevant as more and more EVs are adopted, more so if most of them get the boost.

Can I just say...I do not have boost...the wife will not let me have boost...she has even banned fast acceleration while she is in the car 😡😢

need4speed.jpg

Sorry, can't help you with the temptation. If there is ANY car in the Tesla lineup that needs boost it is the YLR. It basically turns it into a 3 LR for performance.

Drop the 2k so you won't regret getting into it every time. My YLR without boost, and a lower state of charge, was in the 5-second range 0-60. That was just too slow for me to really enjoy.

Reactions: TomT
i bought a 3P so i wouldnt buy the AB on my wife's YLR. no need for the AB right?
why am i still tempted every time i get in her slow car?
someone sway me into saving my 2k please :)
I know you're pain. I bought a MYP a couple months back. Then the wife loved it so much she decided she would take the MYP and I "could" have her car. So I promptly ordered a LRAWD M3. Now I'm constantly looking at videos of Acceleration Boost for the M3 and I don't even have it yet. AAAARGHHHHH.

I know you're pain. I bought a MYP a couple months back. Then the wife loved it so much she decided she would take the MYP and I "could" have her car. So I promptly ordered a LRAWD M3. Now I'm constantly looking at videos of Acceleration Boost for the M3 and I don't even have it yet. AAAARGHHHHH.
In your situation though, if you add boost to the M3LR, it will be just about as quick to 60 as the MYP. The launch in the MYP is just a touch harder in the MYP than a boosted 3 LR. Above that, the 3 will be quicker. The overall fun-to-drive factor is far better. Since getting our 3, I almost never miss the Y when it comes to driving enjoyment. Factor in the efficiency gains of the 3 vs Y and it was a win-win in my book.

As long as you have something bigger if you need to haul stuff. The thing I miss about the Y though is with a kid in a car seat, they can kick your seat MUCH easier on the 3.

In your situation though, if you add boost to the M3LR, it will be just about as quick to 60 as the MYP. The launch in the MYP is just a touch harder in the MYP than a boosted 3 LR. Above that, the 3 will be quicker. The overall fun-to-drive factor is far better. Since getting our 3, I almost never miss the Y when it comes to driving enjoyment. Factor in the efficiency gains of the 3 vs Y and it was a win-win in my book.

As long as you have something bigger if you need to haul stuff. The thing I miss about the Y though is with a kid in a car seat, they can kick your seat MUCH easier on the 3.
Oh, we're keeping the Y and adding the 3. The wife's previous car was a Subaru that she told me I could drive. It's a nice Subaru but, no thanks I'll order the 3 and sell the Subaru.

Reactions: Bouba
Just bought it this weekend myself- having an absolute blast especially with more responsiveness at higher speeds. I found it odd there was no download, but did notice the pedal options now read sport vs chill (previously standard vs chill)
This may be a bit of a misnomer / placebo effect; the acceleration boost upgrade does give a delightfully dramatic boost off the line, but at higher speeds the benefit drops off pretty quickly.

0-60mph acceleration has been documented to show an approx. 12% speed increase. 18-60mph increase is just over half of that at 7% increase. It drops off pretty dramatically after that. Check out this video w/metrics to learn more.