Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't noticed it on acceleration but I did notice a pronounced shudder on some very new sections of pavement (asphalt) at highway speeds (70+) on a drive a few days ago. It was already scheduled to go in for service for some outstanding aesthetic issues from delivery (trim not fitting well and passenger door lacking led's). I reported this to them and got a software update notice an hour or so after dropping it off. Coincidence? Likely.

Anyway, we'll see what they say.

I haven't noticed it on acceleration but I did notice a pronounced shudder on some very new sections of pavement (asphalt) at highway speeds (70+) on a drive a few days ago. It was already scheduled to go in for service for some outstanding aesthetic issues from delivery (trim not fitting well and passenger door lacking led's). I reported this to them and got a software update notice an hour or so after dropping it off. Coincidence? Likely.

I think the SC pushes the latest update to the car once they start working on it. I had the same experience when I recently had them look at the shudder issue. Moments after they received it at the SC, I got a notification of an update. I think this shudder is either coming from a software parameter they are actively tweaking or possibly a part that did not cooperate with an update and needed to be replaced. As of yesterday, I have not had the shudder. I did change my steering to Sport as well, not sure if that affected it.

Heard today that it has been isolated (manufacturing says) to a parts issue......Also, there supposedly is a list of vehicles in service system that needs to be inspected. Apparently, mine was one.

Key point: was told that this is not a safety issue but rather a driving hassle....

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
Had mine in for service yesterday and had them also address the shudder concern while it was there. I picked it up today. Here's what the work order says:

"Concern: Customer states: Under hard to semi-hard acceleration, there seems to be a
"shudder" of some sort coming from the drive line. Customer rode with technician.

Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis Conclusion: No Trouble Found
Confirmed presence of slight drive line shudder during acceleration to be normal
operation. This is due to the angle of the half shaft as it is rotating. This condition may be
reduced by operating the vehicle at a lower ride height."

Notice it says "slight". It's more than slight.

On the way home, I tried low on the air suspension and it still shuddered, but on "very low" it didn't. The car doesn't ride very nice on "very low" so I'm hoping there's another fix. I'll be following this thread in hopes that someone reports a solution.

In the meantime, I guess I'll be riding on very low and deal with the bumpy ride. NVH is very important to me and one of the reason I love EV's so this is somewhat disappointing.

I think the SC pushes the latest update to the car once they start working on it. I had the same experience when I recently had them look at the shudder issue. Moments after they received it at the SC, I got a notification of an update. I think this shudder is either coming from a software parameter they are actively tweaking or possibly a part that did not cooperate with an update and needed to be replaced. As of yesterday, I have not had the shudder. I did change my steering to Sport as well, not sure if that affected it.
Quick update on my issue. Apparently my tires (Pirelli Scorpion Assimetrico) I believe, "failed" their road balance test and are being replaced. To reiterate, my shudder wasn't under acceleration but was really noticeable at >70 on very smooth brand new asphalt.

• Informative
Reactions: systemcrashed
O5Ws5Nr.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Quick update on my issue. Apparently my tires (Pirelli Scorpion Assimetrico) I believe, "failed" their road balance test and are being replaced. To reiterate, my shudder wasn't under acceleration but was really noticeable at >70 on very smooth brand new asphalt.

Wow I must be lucky, I had both of these issues, both have been resolved thankfully without much of any delay. I had the Michelins though.

This is the response from my service appointment.
Concern: Customer states:" rumble, shimmy only when accelerating at about at slow
speeds 10mph -40mph. Verified on test drive with Glenn. W.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
Removed and replaced right front halfshaft. Test drove vehicle and found vibration is no
longer present.
The shutter is back. Seems to be getting worse. I believe the SC only replaced one of the halfshaft's. Maybe need to replace both. Have about 8500 miles.

Same issue. Very noticeable under hard acceleration. Have about 4500 miles. 22's with Goodyear F1.

I'd love to have it set to low at all times (looks better) but unless there is sufficient camber adjustment to get it back to factory specs at that ride height then it's gonna eat tires. I'm already going to have rears dismounted and swapped from side to side to increase tire life.

@scottf200, do you disagree that the service center techs that worked on your X were very good?
I apologize of the confuse. I was looking at your post on my smart phone (vs PC) and accidentally hit 'disagree' instead of the 'agree' response. I was very happy with results of that. I've had other issues with the techs not solving my concern and just doing some "adjustments" or "recalibations" and checking off the service as done.

What I find interesting about this problem is that for me, it didn't start until around 4000 miles. It wasn't there and then it was. I can't see how a balance issue with the half-axles would behave this way. This is why I think it's firmware related.
You make a valid point. Perhaps there was some shifting or loosening of something. I don't "hotrod" mine all the time so I'm not sure exactly when it started. I know it has not always been there. I have 16K on in 6 months.

What I find interesting about this problem is that for me, it didn't start until around 4000 miles. It wasn't there and then it was. I can't see how a balance issue with the half-axles would behave this way. This is why I think it's firmware related.
I also noticed it around the 4-5k mile mark. But I also feel like it was related to an update, it came about suddenly as if it was overnight. Service replaced both half axels, when SAS is set to Very Low it's not noticeable. Since the last service I have a new noise coming from the frunk area as if the AC fan blades are hitting the cowling. It changes as the G forces shift while driving.

I'd love to have it set to low at all times (looks better) but unless there is sufficient camber adjustment to get it back to factory specs at that ride height then it's gonna eat tires. I'm already going to have rears dismounted and swapped from side to side to increase tire life.

Doesn't the car automatically lower itself on the highway? If what you say is true, then wouln't the car eat tires when driving at highway speeds anyway?