Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange that the shudder disappears at very low suspension settings. The wheel camber is most aggressive at that stance. I will wonder if you have a flat spot on the tire. Tire defect maybe? Have it checked out.

Strange that the shudder disappears at very low suspension settings. The wheel camber is most aggressive at that stance. I will wonder if you have a flat spot on the tire. Tire defect maybe? Have it checked out.
I started noticing the shudder a few weeks ago. Stopped by my service center and they detected it too on a test drive, so I'm booked for service next week. After seeing this thread I tried the different suspension settings and can confirm it goes away on very low only.

I have the standard wheels and the shudder is better at very low and low. It is terrible above that. It's started to make some things squeak it vibrates so much.

I had it in to the service center. They couldn't fix it. Told me to drive in low suspension setting. That's a crappy fix for a $140k car. I love the car otherwise, but may sell if they can't get this fixed. Maybe go to a model S where there is less to go wrong.

I'm a bit frustrated because I live in idaho so it's a major deal for me to get it to a service center.

I agree that driving on low suspension is an unacceptable band-aid. I'm frustrated too, especially upgrading from an S60 to an X90D. I'm used to the smoothness of the S and not happy with the shudder at all. Mine is starting to do it under light acceleration and when I accelerate from a stop with the wheel turned, I hear a pop noise. I'm quite confident that it is the half-shafts, at least on my car.

When I had it in the service center for this, I accepted their suggestion about putting it in low at the time, but realized that it is not practical to drive around in very low all the time.

I will be going back to fight this fight.

I have the standard wheels and the shudder is better at very low and low. It is terrible above that. It's started to make some things squeak it vibrates so much.

I had it in to the service center. They couldn't fix it. Told me to drive in low suspension setting. That's a crappy fix for a $140k car. I love the car otherwise, but may sell if they can't get this fixed. Maybe go to a model S where there is less to go wrong.

I'm a bit frustrated because I live in idaho so it's a major deal for me to get it to a service center.

But then again your new MS could have exactly the same issue...

I have 12,000 miles now. The shudder started around 6,000 and was a dampened vibration on acceleration. The last 1000 miles it sounds much more metallic, like the rat a tat tat of antilock brakes. SC center said I had the proper axles and every looks okay. I'm waiting for 12,500 and am going to be a bit more insistent.

I have this as well, and it started on my 90d, april delivery, at around 6k miles. lowering suspension helps, but not always. I brought it into my SC about 1.5 months ago when it first started and they said the sound was normal and would go away with more use. I just tried bringing it into my SC again today and they said replacing the half shafts wouldn't help, but it's a known problem and they'll let me know when they have a solution.

so now i'm waiting on a fix for this and ghosting in my windshield.

previously I had my front door latches fail as well as an incredibly loud AC unit and both times they said it would be fixed with a software upgrade, but that didn't end up being the case for either of those issues.

I have a shutter as well. I have about 5000 miles and lowering the suspension helps. My rims are the small basic 20's ones the car comes with. I asked them about it at service months ago and they had no idea what I was talking about. Hopefully now that all of us are experencing this they will find a fix. I haven't had time to bring it in but will soon.

We've been chasing this issue on my P90D for nearly a year now.

As of yesterday, I **think** that it's fixed. Just got the car back from the SC, where they replaced both halfshafts.

For reference, I have coil suspension with 21" Grey Turbines. This issue was reproduced on both my winter (Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 XL) and summer (Continental) tires.

We've been chasing this issue on my P90D for nearly a year now.

As of yesterday, I **think** that it's fixed. Just got the car back from the SC, where they replaced both halfshafts.

For reference, I have coil suspension with 21" Grey Turbines. This issue was reproduced on both my winter (Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 XL) and summer (Continental) tires.

Sounds "normal" to me.

90D. 20 inch wheels. We have had the shudder since day 1. Service center says our half shafts are fine. They said it is a suspension design issue, and they are working on it. They said it should be better with suspension in low setting, but with the big dips in our neighborhood, going all the way down is not practical.

90D. 20 inch wheels. We have had the shudder since day 1. Service center says our half shafts are fine. They said it is a suspension design issue, and they are working on it. They said it should be better with suspension in low setting, but with the big dips in our neighborhood, going all the way down is not practical.

I have same configuration. I've had my half shafts replaced once and sound began again within about 1000 miles. I just got the car back from service and was told all they could do is set the suspension to always be low. Even that doesn't eliminate the issue completely. They would not replace the half shafts again due to mine being the same revision being installed on the assembly line.

It seems more noticeable after the car has sat idle for a while (e.g. over night) and when paired with heavy acceleration. There have been a few instances where the sound was so severe that passengers asked if the car was falling apart.

Interesting, we've had it since day 1 as well and when brought up was told it was probably wheel spin we were feeling. Clearly it's more widespread than that.