Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ad for battery upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I would like to see a photo of that message.

As to the additional range claim, yes by EPA figures the difference is 19%. Perhaps at a steady 60mph the difference might be greater, but the message claim is misleading.

If I had been in your position this morning I would not have been bothered by the ad, as long as it did not appear again for another year!
15007657_10154516217355552_334394019_o.png

Very slippery slope. It's one thing to offer a free trial with option to purchase but quite another to straight up push ads to you. As if you aren't aware of what you bought...

They should offer free trial of the big battery to see if it fits your needs!

Reactions: Paul Carter
Actually all ready on the slope sliding head first: every interaction on the phone, web, etc is really just a way for an advertiser to get real data and advertise to you. They care less about tracking more about selling you stuff....

I'm referring specifically to Tesla using the control unit of a car for advertising in any manner. I can control my browser settings and internet traffic to manage my footprint online. I should not have to do the same with my car. They have access to an unprecedented amount of data.

They should offer me $10K to turn off ludicrous for holiday shopping money :)

Hey... if these ludicrous/75/whatever licenses are an asset, maybe we should ask for the rights to transfer ownership? Then we could get one joint license for a group - and whomever is planning on a long trip, or maybe to scare the snot out of some visitors, could grab it from the group for the weekend.

One of you guys should run that past Tesla, and let us know how that goes. :)

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Ads.....
certainly we should be able to opt out of them...

but! what if there were ads, say for their weathertech mats or various accessories, and with each purchase you earn a reward. For instance, this reward might be 50 kWh of supercharging.

So I know the Tesla logo weathertech mats are out of stock right now. You get into the car in the morning and there is an Ad that these mats are now in stock. Click "Buy" and also get a few kWh reward. Honestly, I might actually seeing what Tesla has available.

Or... order a pizza on the way home, get 5 kWh.

Don't like it? opt out!

Reactions: JPUConn
Ads.....
certainly we should be able to opt out of them...

but! what if there were ads, say for their weathertech mats or various accessories, and with each purchase you earn a reward. For instance, this reward might be 50 kWh of supercharging.

So I know the Tesla logo weathertech mats are out of stock right now. You get into the car in the morning and there is an Ad that these mats are now in stock. Click "Buy" and also get a few kWh reward. Honestly, I might actually seeing what Tesla has available.

Or... order a pizza on the way home, get 5 kWh.

Don't like it? opt out!

At McDonalds drive thru too often? The in-seat weight sensor notices that you've been gaining a bit? Maybe you'd consider 25% on this gym membership. The HEPA filter detects tobacco smoke? Maybe a deal on Nicoderm.

Air bags deploy? Here's an ad for a tow company and a body shop.

The opportunities are endless.

:)

Hey... if these ludicrous/75/whatever licenses are an asset, maybe we should ask for the rights to transfer ownership? Then we could get one joint license for a group - and whomever is planning on a long trip, or maybe to scare the snot out of some visitors, could grab it from the group for the weekend.

One of you guys should run that past Tesla, and let us know how that goes. :)

Got a hot date this weekend? long roadtrip? You can use Ludicrous and 100 kWh this weekend!

All jokes aside, a system where we could 'rent' higher capacity battery for road trips would be a cool perk.

When I got in my S this morning, there was an ad on the center display asking me to upgrade to the 75 kWh battery.
There was no offer of a discount (still $9,000 incl. tax). It also said "Adds 25% more range," which by Tesla's own numbers is BS.
The 60D is listed at 218 miles and the 75D is listed at 259 miles. That is a difference of 41 miles, or a 19% increase.

I'm not sure how I feel about this ad. Tesla has my email address for special offers or announcements. I don't think this ad was particularly special (i.e., it was telling me about something I already knew, and offered no discount or incentive). Not to mention that the ad made claims that were blatantly false. If they were offering a limited-time $1000 discount on the upgrade, or something to that effect, I would have felt a lot less negative towards the ad. But treating our center console as an avenue for milking more money out of us is unacceptable in my opinion.

I also got the ad this morning and thought it was very odd.
Who gets into their car in the morning, sees the ad and decides to make a $9k purchase on a whim
?
How many 60 drivers do they think aren't aware they can upgrade to the 75?

As the commenter above said if you are going to start doing pop-up ads you got to at least have some sort of discount incentive attached. You do a pop-up of the option for $5k and you might have my attention. It is a relatively minor thing to dismiss the pop-up, but the whole thing just doesn't feel right. Sending me a reminder email about the option seems reasonable, but putting ads on my launch screen should not be a new normal.

Tesla also now has an advertisement for AutoPilot upgrades :cool:

AP offer .JPG