Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added convex side mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I just can't wait for FSD to render my mirrors useless like Tesla intends....

I wasn't happy with the limited size of the factory mirrors. While aerodynamic, they really only provide minimal blind spot visibility. I really like to see both my blind spot and even the next lane when I perform a lane change and I just wasn't getting enough from the OEM mirrors.

I chose the abstract ocean mirrors because they were edgeless (never had that before). I can say I was genuinely impressed by the clarity of these mirrors when I received them. Definitely not cheap plastic. I struggled with the placement of the mirrors because I normally put them on the bottom outside edge of my mirror, but on the Model 3, that would result in seeing lots of the housing in the mirror, limiting the added value. So I temporarily stuck them on my mirror in various locations and settled on what you see in the photo. I decided losing sky was the best comprise... It maximizes the usability of the fisheye view without staring at lots of housing. Between the edgeless design and the clarity of the mirror I really love the final result and don't know how I lived without them. I always use them now.

Hope this helps someone thinking of doing the same.
IMG_20190730_141223.jpg

Looks better than I would have expected. Not for me though. I always turn my head to check blind spots when I’m changing lanes, even when I’m Navigate on Autopilot. Plus if you have your mirrors properly angled there are virtually no blind spots to speak of.
I will agree that technically even without the extra mirror my mirror setup allows me to see my blindspot. But not more. Again, for me to see a bit more of the scene is valuable and worth the addition.

I guess I just can't wait for FSD to render my mirrors useless like Tesla intends....

I wasn't happy with the limited size of the factory mirrors. While aerodynamic, they really only provide minimal blind spot visibility. I really like to see both my blind spot and even the next lane when I perform a lane change and I just wasn't getting enough from the OEM mirrors.

I chose the abstract ocean mirrors because they were edgeless (never had that before). I can say I was genuinely impressed by the clarity of these mirrors when I received them. Definitely not cheap plastic. I struggled with the placement of the mirrors because I normally put them on the bottom outside edge of my mirror, but on the Model 3, that would result in seeing lots of the housing in the mirror, limiting the added value. So I temporarily stuck them on my mirror in various locations and settled on what you see in the photo. I decided losing sky was the best comprise... It maximizes the usability of the fisheye view without staring at lots of housing. Between the edgeless design and the clarity of the mirror I really love the final result and don't know how I lived without them. I always use them now.

Hope this helps someone thinking of doing the same.
View attachment 435912
I would be interested to know how it is usable at night?
It seems to me that a convex mirror might be impractical at night because it spreads the high beams headlight coming for other cars.

Reactions: RBowen
Looks better than I would have expected. Not for me though. I always turn my head to check blind spots when I’m changing lanes, even when I’m Navigate on Autopilot. Plus if you have your mirrors properly angled there are virtually no blind spots to speak of.
Yeah, but I can't seem to get my mirror to swing wide enough to see my blind spot. A few others have mentioned the same issue, so it's not just my car, or at least it's more than just mine.

I would be interested to know how it is usable at night?
It seems to me that a convex mirror might be impractical at night because it spreads the high beams headlight coming for other cars.
Actually, I've found the opposite to be true. Since the rest of the mirror dims at night, these kinds of mirrors tend to look brighter at night, which helps.

I did forget to mention that as @boriszima mentioned, the mirror helps with parking lines too...see below how lines that are otherwise not visible to the driver are now visible. You aren't always in reverse when you want to see them!

BTW, When I took this last photo, I realized that it's more representative because I took it from my vantage point. The pic last night was taken closer to the actual side mirror and result in the OEM mirror looking more "fisheye" than it really is. I confirmed this by moving my head closer to the OEM mirror and was surprised how much more scene was revealed!

IMG_20190731_080830.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: android04 and KenC
I just use the rear camera (not as convenient as the Model S where you can keep it on without overlapping the entire screen). And it shows such a wide angle that it helps show those hidden areas. I should say I also adjusted my mirrors to show blind spots too though.

Reactions: XLR82XS
This is my first message in the page, but I have to say that it looks as if no1 of the people caring for the blind spot adjusts their mirrors correctly... The way to adjust them is so that you can still keep looking a bit of the car at the bottom of the mirror... The mirror shouldn't be pointing at the complete left, it should cover so you see what is behind... the OP is actually having the mirror wrongly positioned.

Btw, the blind spot is covered by moving your head (you learn it in every driving school) not by adding more stuff to the car surroundings... What if that mirror (which is actually not OEM falls? you can't drive) would u stop? it's not how it should be

• Disagree
Reactions: N.Y.R.