Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adhesive dripping from under the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EclecticCitizen

House call doctor for families.
Apr 15, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Anyone else seen this?
2013 Model S
Since it got hot this summer (3 weeks), I have had clear sticky fluid (like an adhesive) dripping from below the screen, into the cubby, and down into my center console. At first I thought it was from the rearview mirror after my windshield had to be replaced recently, since he left a drip oozing down the windshield itself. But nothing is present at the mirror attachment.

I wiped the top edge of the cubby and my sunglasses case inside repeatedly, and the clear honey-consistency adhesive keeps appearing freshly in drips. Now it seems clear that it is coming out of the center stack/touchscreen.

Yesterday what seems to be large air-fluid levels appeared on the right border of my touchscreen (see photos). When I push on the area, nothing happens, it is not displaceable. My theory is that adhesive layers in the touchscreen mounting have broken down, allowing air into a space that is supposed to be sealed. Is my touch screen melting in the heat? It is still working fine so far.

Other thoughts?
Should my extended warranty cover this?
I have a pre-scheduled appointment with service next week for a tire rotation and will add this to the punch list.

Long screen bubble.jpg
Up close screen bubbles.jpg
zoomed out air bubbles.jpg

regular warranty really should cover this.
i am pissed that it isn't a recall

my car had this happen while it was at service in the sun @ my 4th annual. really disturbed by this since they added the overheat protection that month as it was a known problem.

recall is necessary IMO!

they should fix it no questions asked w/ extended warranty + not charge the $200 or whatever per item

At least my screen does work fine & fortunately I haven’t seen anything dripping down anywhere. Kind of wondering where it has gone if something always leaks out.

It is a bummer though taking people for rides who have never been in a Tesla before. It is happening more now than anytime over the last 6 years

I've only gotten second hand information from very reliable sources and have not dealt with the liquid myself. As long as the glue does not get on any electronics I would imagine you would be fine. Rich Rebuilds has a video where his screen leaks and got onto a module what is under the MCU, however he was missing a piece above that electronic that would protect it. If you still have some of the leaking glue, and a digital multi-meter you can check it for conductivity and see if you want to continue allowing it to leak. However the tech might be totally right and there is enough protection where the leaked glue wont get on any electronics.

They fix these, no need to worry. Just call service.
Sure.
Mine happened just as my car was going out of warranty, I thought it was water under my screen protector at first and said that to service if the wash people could be more careful.
I still want a warranty fix. I don’t think anyone ever responded to my calls or emails years ago regarding that since my sunroof was a bigger concern then

I had this happen to my 2013. Warranty expired 05/2017, bubbles started 08/2017, so I chose to ignore it. Adhesive eventually began leaking out which was very annoying because it is so difficult to clean. This year in 05/2019 I was fed up with all the adhesive leaking out so decided to finally pay for a new screen.

Prior to my service appointment, I took out the cubby to clean the adhesive and found about 1/4 cup of adhesive, way worse than the photo upthread. It was a huge pain to clean it out.

I got the new screen and thought all was good. Now it's 90 degrees here, and more adhesive than ever is leaking out, worse than before. Adhesive from the old screen had collected somewhere else inside the dash where I can't see, and it is leaking out again with no end in sight. And I can't clean it because I don't know where it's coming from, and don't know how to disassemble the dashboard. It is very irritating.

I caution anyone with these bubbles against waiting too long for a replacement, as a lot of adhesive may leak out and collect where you can't see, which will be very irritating later on.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Have you gotten this resolved? Its happening to me now...

I had this happen to my 2013. Warranty expired 05/2017, bubbles started 08/2017, so I chose to ignore it. Adhesive eventually began leaking out which was very annoying because it is so difficult to clean. This year in 05/2019 I was fed up with all the adhesive leaking out so decided to finally pay for a new screen.

Prior to my service appointment, I took out the cubby to clean the adhesive and found about 1/4 cup of adhesive, way worse than the photo upthread. It was a huge pain to clean it out.

I got the new screen and thought all was good. Now it's 90 degrees here, and more adhesive than ever is leaking out, worse than before. Adhesive from the old screen had collected somewhere else inside the dash where I can't see, and it is leaking out again with no end in sight. And I can't clean it because I don't know where it's coming from, and don't know how to disassemble the dashboard. It is very irritating.

I caution anyone with these bubbles against waiting too long for a replacement, as a lot of adhesive may leak out and collect where you can't see, which will be very irritating later on.

Did you ever get this resolved? Its happening to me now....

Anyone else seen this?
2013 Model S
Since it got hot this summer (3 weeks), I have had clear sticky fluid (like an adhesive) dripping from below the screen, into the cubby, and down into my center console. At first I thought it was from the rearview mirror after my windshield had to be replaced recently, since he left a drip oozing down the windshield itself. But nothing is present at the mirror attachment.

I wiped the top edge of the cubby and my sunglasses case inside repeatedly, and the clear honey-consistency adhesive keeps appearing freshly in drips. Now it seems clear that it is coming out of the center stack/touchscreen.

Yesterday what seems to be large air-fluid levels appeared on the right border of my touchscreen (see photos). When I push on the area, nothing happens, it is not displaceable. My theory is that adhesive layers in the touchscreen mounting have broken down, allowing air into a space that is supposed to be sealed. Is my touch screen melting in the heat? It is still working fine so far.

Other thoughts?
Should my extended warranty cover this?
I have a pre-scheduled appointment with service next week for a tire rotation and will add this to the punch list.

This just started happening to my December 2013 Model S three days ago. Started in upper left hand corner, then yesterday was across the full top edge (see attached), and later that day I noticed that there was goo dripping from the bottom of the screen. Today no significant change on the screen, but more goo coming out. I also noticed some debris in my center console that I'm thinking may be the original adhesive that might have been designed to keep that goo up in the screen...

I called the 877 number, where they now make it VERY hard to talk to a live person now! The first available service appointment is in THREE WEEKS! At this rate, I will have goo everywhere! I called the local service center to move my appointment up, and they too make it very hard to talk to someone live - so I left a message. This seems like it will be expensive if they don't agree to cover. I would love to hear about others experiences with getting this resolved. Thanks!!

p.s. I lived in Scottsdale for 4 years with the car, where it is HOT, and I never had any issues. I've been in Orlando for 2 years, also hot, but its winter right now.....so heat doesn't seem like the issue.
IMG_1458.JPG

This just started happening to my December 2013 Model S three days ago. Started in upper left hand corner, then yesterday was across the full top edge (see attached), and later that day I noticed that there was goo dripping from the bottom of the screen. Today no significant change on the screen, but more goo coming out. I also noticed some debris in my center console that I'm thinking may be the original adhesive that might have been designed to keep that goo up in the screen...

I called the 877 number, where they now make it VERY hard to talk to a live person now! The first available service appointment is in THREE WEEKS! At this rate, I will have goo everywhere! I called the local service center to move my appointment up, and they too make it very hard to talk to someone live - so I left a message. This seems like it will be expensive if they don't agree to cover. I would love to hear about others experiences with getting this resolved. Thanks!!

p.s. I lived in Scottsdale for 4 years with the car, where it is HOT, and I never had any issues. I've been in Orlando for 2 years, also hot, but its winter right now.....so heat doesn't seem like the issue.
View attachment 500461

You can try driving to Service Center if they are close to you and see if they can fit you in. However since your under warranty I would think they fix that, and anything the glue damages.

In our research we have found what we believe is Tesla (or actually screen manufacturer) used a standard adhesive. If that is the case, we noticed in different screen repairs, the glue will start leaking out if not cured properly.

One thread has noted that the UV lamps have a limited usable life, and we believe some times the lamps were not changed out quick enough, causing some screens not to cure properly. The is inline of the "random screen failures" people are reporting.