Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Convincing Husband to Go Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be interesting if the visualization would show Teslas as Teslas and not some generic vehicle.
my kids are always disappointed when other Teslas don't show up as a Tesla. there's little reason they can't figure it out other than time investment and little ROI. however, it would be a really cool "promotional stunt" to be able to spot any and all Tesla in that way.

i don't think, however, they should be shown like a Waze user report (nearby Wazers). That's too creepy (and unsecure).

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: DWhatley and KenC
my delivery date! 3/21/2020

Maybe too early to mention this, but when you pick up your 3 and before you sign off all the paper work, INSPECT the car thoroughly! Note any paint defects, panel misalignment, etc. ... see if the doors shut/close without binding ... check door seal alignment ... check interior fit/finish for defects, etc. ... press all the buttons (what little buttons there are), check and play with all the settings. Take your time inspecting the car and don't feel hurried by the sales people.

I'm sure others will jump in on this, adding from their experience ... I hope :)

Our bills greatly impacted (for the better) by going time of use. Matters not just for the car but other boring things like when does the washer & dryer get run, etc. It's been a while since we had a place in NJ but I recall there are plans that can make charging less costly.

Also N.J. launches $5,000 rebate for electric vehicles purchases

Yup, definitely applying for that when I can. They're still working it out but vehicles purchased after 1/17/2020 can apply for the rebate come July. After July it's taken off at purchase. So awesome.

Thanks for the reminder about time of use. I looked into it and am not sure I'm ready to switch to it yet, but depending how charging affects my bill I might!

my kids are always disappointed when other Teslas don't show up as a Tesla. there's little reason they can't figure it out other than time investment and little ROI. however, it would be a really cool "promotional stunt" to be able to spot any and all Tesla in that way.

i don't think, however, they should be shown like a Waze user report (nearby Wazers). That's too creepy (and unsecure).

Besides time investment. The main model that's used for our car is much more detailed then the other gray car models. So if the hardware showed multiple teslas with the detail of our main model there's a chance it could lag the system or cause problems when there are multiple teslas on the screen. (depending on the hardware). So it could be that it might not be able to handle it at the moment.

It has been a bit since I posted in this thread but I got my delivery date! 3/21/2020.

Husband is much more excited about it now. I'm going on a trip in mid-April with my family, so I jokingly told him "Don't drive my Tesla when I'm gone!" He is absolutely going to drive it while I'm gone.

I also set up my insurance as well. Since my current car is so old, I had minimal coverage. Definitely getting a better comprehensive and collision package for this one. Overall it's an increase of about $45 per month. No problem for protection!

I'm having an electrician who is a friend come out tomorrow to take a look and give me a quote for a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Another electrician quoted us around $500. I'm thinking I can get a lower quote than that based on estimates I've seen around. But it'll have to be done soon, as the turnaround time was so quick! Ordered 2/29/2020 so it will be 3 weeks exactly!

Wow it only went up 45 a month? Thats so cheap! Who do you have? I have Geico and it went up so much.

Besides time investment. The main model that's used for our car is much more detailed then the other gray car models. So if the hardware showed multiple teslas with the detail of our main model there's a chance it could lag the system or cause problems when there are multiple teslas on the screen. (depending on the hardware). So it could be that it might not be able to handle it at the moment.
maybe. it's already rendering cars. the detail is just a map.

Wow it only went up 45 a month? Thats so cheap! Who do you have? I have Geico and it went up so much.

I've been with USAA for years. They offer quite a few discounts, too (new car discount, auto-home bundle discount, safe driving discount, etc.) I've heard Progressive has competitive rates, if you haven't checked them out yet. Are you in NJ? Could also be a difference state vs state.

I've been with USAA for years. They offer quite a few discounts, too (new car discount, auto-home bundle discount, safe driving discount, etc.) I've heard Progressive has competitive rates, if you haven't checked them out yet. Are you in NJ? Could also be a difference state vs state.

Yeah I'm in NJ. I've never heard of USAA, I'll have to look into it.. yeah.. I've really been dropping the ball on looking into other insurance companies since I've been with Geico for so long.

Yup, definitely applying for that when I can. They're still working it out but vehicles purchased after 1/17/2020 can apply for the rebate come July. After July it's taken off at purchase. So awesome.

Thanks for the reminder about time of use. I looked into it and am not sure I'm ready to switch to it yet, but depending how charging affects my bill I might!

Just be careful with those TOU plans. They sound good, but keep in mind things like A/C usage in the summer. I found that the JCP&L time of use plan would’ve cost me an extra arm, leg and maybe thyroid. But that’s just me.

One other thing to note, if you’re installing a 14-50 outlet. Don’t go cheap - get a high quality one. There IS a difference, especially for an outlet that’ll get plugged/unplugged repeatedly.

Here’s a great guide written by our own @gilscales : Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

Simply - if the receptacle itself is $80-90, that’s OK. It’s worth spending the extra bucks for one that makes a good, solid connection every time.

Yeah I'm in NJ. I've never heard of USAA, I'll have to look into it.. yeah.. I've really been dropping the ball on looking into other insurance companies since I've been with Geico for so long.

USAA is for military and families. I didn't serve, but my mother (and father-in-law) did so I got in through her. If you or an immediate family member is currently in or has served, you might be eligible.

Just be careful with those TOU plans. They sound good, but keep in mind things like A/C usage in the summer. I found that the JCP&L time of use plan would’ve cost me an extra arm, leg and maybe thyroid. But that’s just me.

One other thing to note, if you’re installing a 14-50 outlet. Don’t go cheap - get a high quality one. There IS a difference, especially for an outlet that’ll get plugged/unplugged repeatedly.

Here’s a great guide written by our own @gilscales : Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

Simply - if the receptacle itself is $80-90, that’s OK. It’s worth spending the extra bucks for one that makes a good, solid connection every time.
This. Don’t skimp on the outlet and the work to put it in. And make sure the electrician is licensed. If ANY kind of electrical malfunction causes damage I think it’s a foregone conclusion that Tesla would do their damndest to get out of it by claiming you didn’t have a properly installed electrical system.

I'm having an electrician who is a friend come out tomorrow to take a look and give me a quote for a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Another electrician quoted us around $500. I'm thinking I can get a lower quote than that based on estimates I've seen around. But it'll have to be done soon, as the turnaround time was so quick! Ordered 2/29/2020 so it will be 3 weeks exactly!

Congrats on everything!

For what it's worth the 14-50 is cheap until you factor in work that potentially needs to be done on the circuit breaker and the length of the line needed to be run and the complexities of that line. I think mine was $500 but I also needed to run the line through multiple walls out to the outside of the house, so it was the distance and time involved that really cost. My panel wasn't in the garage.

But based on what I heard you can get a really inexpensive and good 14-50 plug installed close to a panel in the garage for a fraction of the cost - definitely more economical than a wall connector.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Me 2. Great service and rates (have all your discounts above too :) It probably helps that 3 is the safest car there is per IIHS tests

Anyone here do better than USAA?

• Love
Reactions: ellienovember
Tesla Insurance saved us 1/3 even though we now have 2 separate policies for 9 vehicles. You'd think a standalone policy for 1 additional car would be dumb, but hey, it paid. They even mentioned they are working on expanding to non-Tesla.

In our Tesla purchase decision, it was my wife who talked me into a Tesla, I nearly bought a pickup instead. I will drive the MX until "my car" becomes available (either Rivian or Cybertruck at this point, but who knows?), then she will get it.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Husband is much more excited about it now.

That's how it went with my wife's car. I was initially against it, then was pretty into it by the time we picked it up .. and shortly afterward I was a full blown kool aid drinker.

I'm going on a trip in mid-April with my family, so I jokingly told him "Don't drive my Tesla when I'm gone!" He is absolutely going to drive it while I'm gone.

I also put more miles on my wife's model 3 than she does. :oops:

I used Geico prior to picking up my 3 and they quoted almost $400 per six months higher than Progressive. Definitely shop around and see who can give you the best rate.
If you're a Costco member, I'd recommend trying Ameriprise. I had them quote a Model Y and two current vehicles. Currently with Geico, 2 cars at $750/ 6 months. With Ameriprise, 3 cars at $1350/ 6 months. They didn't break out down per vehicle but it came in lower than what I expected. Geico wants $1300/6 months.

As I get closer to my delivery I'll quote just the Model Y since I'll be selling the other 2 vehicles.