Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on must-haves & model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready to purchase a Model S. I've been doing lots of research, but wanted to see what you all think are the most important upgrades/options. I definitely want the glass/pano/sunroof, but undecided on everything else.

Also, would you recommend a 2013 with lower miles or a 2014 or 15 with higher miles?

I live in the foothills sw of Denver. This will be our 3rd car (we have a 4WD SUV & 4WD
pickup), so it'll be our "run-around" car.

Thanks!

Miles fall very lightly on the Teslas from what I've seen - the lack of vibrations and thermal cycles seem to make the car hold up better to mileage.

The biggest factor with either older cars or higher mileage ones will be the battery condition.

Newer cars are generally better built, with subtly improved components.

In the foothills of Denver (where I grew up, actually - southern Jefferson County,) I'd want to have AWD if it's as convenient and well executed as it is on Tesla cars - and D cars actually go further on the same amount of battery power, too.

Autopilot is a wonderful thing on road trips and stop and go commutes. The latest cars will eventually drive themselves, too. I'm not entirely sure if your planned use profile will benefit from AP much - but many people find themselves driving the Tesla a lot more than they planned to. :)

The only other option I really recommend is Bioweapon mode - having clean odor free air in the car all the time is wonderful - but that's only available on 2016 cars, so it may not be compatible with your budget.

Reactions: Amykelly
I'd say newer model with a 85 kWh battery, if possible also try to get the subzero package and especially autopilot. Autopilot is pretty hard to find on cpo's because they tend to sell much quicker. If you are going for an older one definitely go for a performance, it shouldn't be too hard to find. Go for the awd if you find one as well (probably expensive). Use the teslainventory.com website it is really useful for new inventory and cpo's.

Edit: What's your price range?

Typically you'd want to go with a higher model for better build quality. If you want some more standard features go with the 14 or better yet a 15.

SAS -- If you have a steep drive way Smart Air Suspension would be the way to go! And for speed bumps
Autopilot -- Would be a yes! for anyone but its not a "Needed" feature unless that's what your buying the Model S for. If you dont have a AP its still a wonderful car none the less.
Performance -- No Tesla is slow so pick any battery pack but 85 kWh would be best for range if looking into a CPO. But if you want to top that get a 90D.
Wheels -- 21'inch wheels have better handling but burn through tires easier. 19'inch wheels are better for "poor" road conditions.
PUP -- Premium Interior and lighting package should be a no brainier for anyone. Brings in much needed features for the 2013 Models but most of that stuff became standard on the 2014 and above models but you should do more research on this package to find out more for your specific model year that your buying.
UHFS -- Upgraded sound. Isn't really needed unless your a real audiophile like myself and that brings in the XM radio (pano roof required)
Subzero -- You would probably need it. But FYI the heated steering wheels wasn't available for 2013 Models. Became apart of this package for 2014.

Hope that helped.

I'll be an outlier.

If you can stretch just a bit...
Consider a new model S with Subzero only. Subzero is MANDATORY in Denver.

That's $72.3k.
After tax credit you're at $64.8k, just above your $60k budget

Only danger is you may end up adding more options:D

Options I have are
Subzero- mandatory.
Dual motors. Mandatory if this is your primary car. But for a runner? You can do without and leave your car in garage on snow days.
All glass roof. I live it BUT it's far bigger impact for people in back seat. It's a wow feature but not required
Leather. I like leather but many love the multi pattern seats.
EAP. I like it but not essential for a runner.

I don't have premium package. Don't miss it much. Yeah no power lift back but no biggie. Trunk and cabin are DARK but it's fine.

I don't have SAS. Don't miss it but Minneapolis is flat

I don't have premium sound, but I cannot tell difference

Only must have is Subzero

Edit... doh! I forgot taxes and destination. Hopefully your $60k budget didn't include taxes

I just bought a CPO 2014 85 kW battery with the tech package. I did not get dual motor, sunroof/pano, upgraded sound, air suspension, autopilot, or subzero. I see all of these as true luxuries. I'm not sure what's so special about subzero. I still have front heated seats, and the heating system works very well. My car had 33k miles, has only had 4% battery degradation in almost 3 years, and is in pristine shape. It only cost me $51.5k plus taxes, and I love the car. The most important parts to me are environmental friendliness, the fact that it's cutting edge technology, and the excellent performance.

I would suggest you look at CPO and decide which options you value most, because you can see people won't agree. With 60k to work with, you could go for the bigger battery and a newer(ish) model (probably 2014), or you could get a smaller battery vehicle (60) if range isn't an issue and instead go for some of these options. At 60k, dual motors and autopilot are probably not available to you. Good luck!

This is all super helpful, thank you. I definitely want either glass or sunroof and leather. I would really like tech & smart suspension because I drive a lot of dirt & mountain roads. Sub-zero is next on the list since front seats are already heated. Everything else would be great but then we get in over my budget.

Question - I'm looking at CPO and also private sale. I've come across a few that have had damage & been repaired (salvage). Thoughts on this? What does that do to the warranty?

Question - I'm looking at CPO and also private sale. I've come across a few that have had damage & been repaired (salvage). Thoughts on this? What does that do to the warranty?

Salvage forfeits all warranties. Worse, Tesla won't repair the car or even sell parts for it unless it goes through a several thousand dollar recertification for structure, which may or may not pass. There are a couple folks on the forum who will help with salvage cars and have the necessary skills and abilities to repair the cars, but it's a much harder road to go.

I thought subzero was a necessity being in the Northeast, as in my last car I loved the heating steering wheel. In my MS, I find that I am using it less since it's harder to turn on, gets very hot and I can PreHeat my car before I get in it. My back seat has 2 child seats, so the rear heated seats is useless for me.

I thought subzero was a necessity being in the Northeast, as in my last car I loved the heating steering wheel. In my MS, I find that I am using it less since it's harder to turn on, gets very hot and I can PreHeat my car before I get in it.

Yes, the amount of eyes-off-the-road work required to get to the steering wheel heater control is way out of line. Every other car I've had with this feature uses a totally intuitive button on the steering wheel. Since Tesla is allergic to hard buttons, they should start making some of these controls voice-activated.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum
Note to the OP re model years: Tesla doesn't adhere to the industry tradition of model years. They make major changes whenever they're ready.

For example, my 90D which I picked up on December 29th 2016 is legally a 2016 model, but it has the HW2 redesign of Autopilot features that just began to ship that month, so it's more typical of a 2017 car.

Yes, the amount of eyes-off-the-road work required to get to the steering wheel heater control is way out of line. Every other car I've had with this feature uses a totally intuitive button on the steering wheel. Since Tesla is allergic to hard buttons, they should start making some of these controls voice-activated.

I'd be content if they just made the heated wheel persistent, like the heated front seats are.

It's really hard for somebody else to tell you what is a must-have...the reason they are options is that some people go for them, and some people don't. By that metric none of them are must-haves. But certainly there are people that wouldn't buy a car without certain options, so by that metric they are must-haves...but only for some people, and we can't tell for sure if you are in that group or not.

My wife has a 2012 Model S. While it was loaded at the time, it doesn't have AWD, autopilot, folding mirrors, parking sensors, the new nose, the glass roof, Next Gen seats, premium seats, and whatever else they have added to the cars over the years. She refuses to even consider upgrading, so presumably none of the new features are must-haves for her.

When I sold my Roadster to buy a Model S a few months ago, I was planning on getting an S60 with no options (well, maybe AWD now that we live on an enormous hill - we have never wanted AWD before. Aside from cost, Tesla has removed the normal downsides), because none of them are that important to me. It turns out I got a fully loaded car; but that was only because it was a demo with a fantastic lease deal that was cheaper than a stripper car. Of course, I ENJOY the options, but not enough that I'd buy them. People don't believe it when they see my cars, but I am a pretty frugal guy.

By the way, our 2012 with 80k miles is smoother and quieter than our new Model S, and as far as I can tell has identical build quality inside and out. New cars are likely better than old cars on average, but definitely not in all cases.

@Saghost re "I'd be content if they just made the heated wheel persistent, like the heated front seats are."

For me persistence wouldn't be all that helpful, because I always turn the wheel heater off once the cabin has warmed up. Otherwise it gets uncomfortably hot and drains the battery too. So the next morning it would be off.

Maybe a better approach would be an option that turns the wheel heater on when the car starts if the cabin is below X degrees.

Sorry, OP, for hijacking this thread. I'll stop.

Reactions: Saghost
This is all good stuff. Of course, I want it all but will have to make some decisions. About the salvage, I may be using the incorrect term. The airbags did not deploy. According to the current owner, there was no structural damage. He replaced the suspension damage, fender & bumper cover. He has pictures of the structure/frame with the parts removed that show no damage. He said Tesla has been to his house to do some warranty things since the repair & it was no issue.