Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice request: used P100D vs used 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P100D! Range difference is minimal and you get free supercharging. Live a little!

I am torn between two used cars with kind of similar pricing and would appreciate this group’s feedback. Here are the specs:

P100D
60k km
May 2017 delivery
21” summer tires, 19” winter tires
All options except sunroof and FSD
Red exterior and beige interior
Buying from an individual

100D
20k km
Dec 2017 delivery
19” winter tires only
Sunroof
No high fidelity sound
Black inside and outside
Buying from a third party dealer

The price of the P100D is 9k more and I’m struggling to make up my mind. The P100D is locally available while the 100D is about a 2 hour journey away. Help please!

Any S or X that was ordered before 1/15/17 has Supercharging that transfers to the new owner. If the P100D was ordered before that date, then Supercharging would transfer.

look at the delivery of the car.

Its near 2018, infact its close to when i got mine which is a march delivery.
I am 100% sure that 100D will not transfer, and it doesnt hurt to find out.

And wow you thumbs down me because i only stated what you just confirmed?
I will thumbs down you for not reading the delivery dates on the cars or the entire Original POST.

P100D
May 2017

100D
December 2017

BOTH CARS HAVE DELIVERY DATES AFTER 1/15/2017

• Disagree
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
look at the delivery of the car.

Its near 2018, infact its close to when i got mine which is a march delivery.
I am 100% sure that 100D will not transfer, and it doesnt hurt to find out.

And wow you thumbs down me because i only stated what you just confirmed?
I will thumbs down you for not reading the delivery dates on the cars or the entire Original POST.

P100D
May 2017

100D
December 2017

BOTH CARS HAVE DELIVERY DATES AFTER 1/15/2017
Yes, notice how I said ORDERED before 1/15/17. Notice how I also used the word "IF" when mentioning the order date of the P100D.

I did read the delivery date in the original post. Delivery date for Europe for a car ordered 1/15/17 could've possibly been in May. I originally ordered my Model S in 4/16 and took delivery in 12/16.

Needless to say, there's no reason to disagree with the fact that I stated earlier: Any S or X that was ordered before 1/15/17 has Supercharging that transfers to the new owner.

The thumbs down was because you said Supercharging doesn't transfer. Many cars still have Supercharging that transfers.

FUSC last time i knew only applied to original owner for the life of the car.

That's incorrect and is why you got a "Disagree".

• Disagree
Reactions: Naekuh
Yes, notice how I said ORDERED before 1/15/17. Notice how I also used the word "IF" when mentioning the order date of the P100D.

I did read the delivery date in the original post. Delivery date for Europe for a car ordered 1/15/17 could've possibly been in May. I originally ordered my Model S in 4/16 and took delivery in 12/16.

Needless to say, there's no reason to disagree with the fact that I stated earlier: Any S or X that was ordered before 1/15/17 has Supercharging that transfers to the new owner.

AGAIN i have a MARCH 2018 delivery...
I ORDERED in JAN 2018
I WAS TOLD BY TESLA AND THE REP THE FUSC WAS NOT TRANSFERABLE AND ONLY APPLIED TO ORIGINAL OWNER.

When was the last time you ordered your car?
His cars were ordered way past jan. in fact im more willing to guess the cars were ordered MARCH and OCTOBER of 2017, due to the waiting game i have seen in the MODEL S ordering thread.

Why are you telling him its guarentee'd when i am telling the OP to VERIFY.
The last thing the OP should do is go in any purchase without some forms of Gaurentee's.
But even then Tesla has been known to break promises, but if he has it in email writting or some form of documented proof, it will help him in the long run.

Last edited:
I don't know that there is a right answer. For me, it's easy because of what my most important criteria is... RANGE.

So, I would take the 100D for the following reasons:

1. Better Range
2. Less KM
3. Cheaper
4. 19" tires vs. 21" tires = better range on 19" tires.
5. Love my sunroof.
6. Range.
7. Did I mention, Range?

As for the lack of UHFS... I think if that is really important to you, you can upgrade to Light Harmonic system which is at least as good (and probably better). However, lets say speed, power and excitement are your top criteria... can't really beat the P. Not that the 100D is any slouch but obvioulsy the P100D is in a different league where launch is concerned.

Also insurance is also likely less for the 100D.

Reactions: Struja
There is no time when a non "P" should be chosen over a "P"

Except when the P100D causes dizziness and neck back issues as in my case lol. I had to ‘downgrade’ to a 100D as I just enjoyed the P way too much! Chiro’s advice lol. I could have just used chill mode but then why have it? The 100D is no slouch by the way. It clocks real world 3.6/3.7 sec to 100...no battery warming or ludicrous+ needed.

I feel like the power delivery on the 100d is more smooth compared to the launch push of the P.
I also have 2 kids ages 12/10 and they don’t care with either...they enjoy their music settings and being able to listen to what they want whenever.

Range wise we live in Canada and the extra range of the 100D in winter makes a difference.
Overall we like our sunroof so the glass roof would be a no starter for us anyway.

Tough choice! I had my P100D at 50k cnd off as an inventory car so it came to the same 10k price diff of a 100D. You can’t go wrong with either. Just keep in mind the mileage of the P100D vs 100...

AGAIN i have a MARCH 2018 delivery...
I ORDERED in JAN 2018
I WAS TOLD BY TESLA AND THE REP THE FUSC WAS NOT TRANSFERABLE AND ONLY APPLIED TO ORIGINAL OWNER.

When was the last time you ordered your car?
His cars were ordered way past jan. in fact im more willing to guess the cars were ordered MARCH and OCTOBER of 2017, due to the waiting game i have seen in the MODEL S ordering thread.

Why are you telling him its guarentee'd when i am telling the OP to VERIFY.
The last thing the OP should do is go in any purchase without some forms of Gaurentee's.
But even then Tesla has been known to break promises, but if he has it in email writting or some form of documented proof, it will help him in the long run.
I'm not referring to your car. I'm referring to the car mentioned in the OP. For that car, if it was ordered before 1/15/17, then free Supercharging will transfer to the new owner.

Transferable Free Supercharging ended 1/15/17. You ordered yours a year later, so of course your Supercharging doesn't transfer.

We've ordered 7 Teslas so far, with the most recent order made 11/18. We will be ordering another one this quarter.

When I look at the cars we ordered before 1/15/17, they all mention free Supercharging will transfer:
upload_2019-1-25_12-52-9.png

Reactions: Pinot.Noir
When I look at the cars we ordered before 1/15/17

how is this MARCH 2017? You keep saying BEFORE, when his cars order date were AFTER.

UGH... im done with this thread.

OP for safety sake just verify with TESLA that FUSC will Transfer and make sure its in email form so you have a record of it incase they dont give it to you on transfer of ownership.

If it transfers then all good.
If it doesnt, then you can haggle the P100D down maybe another 1000 down since FUSC wont transfer.

how is this MARCH 2017? You keep saying BEFORE, when his cars order date were AFTER.

UGH... im done with this thread.

Once again, any S or X that was ordered before 1/15/17 has free lifetime Supercharging that transfers to the new owner. Cars that were ordered after that date do not have Supercharging that transfers. It's a fact that can easily be confirmed. In 2016 and 2017, many buyers, especially in Europe, Asia and Australia had to wait months between ordering and delivery. It's was also possible to order a car and intentionally delay delivery by several months. I did this myself in 2016 with my first Tesla. Because of this, it's quite possible that a car was ordered in January 2017 and delivered months later in May 2017. Those cars would still have free transferable Supercharging because it is the order date, not the delivery date which determines whether or not free Supercharging transferred to the new owner.

BTW, you are the only one bringing up March 2018 dates. Those have nothing to do with the free Supercharging available for orders through January 15, 2017.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have confirmation that the supercharging transfers. To throw another wrinkle into the mix, what's your view on a new P3D vs the used P100D? The P3D new is $20k cheaper than a used P100D. Cargo space is a consideration but is it worth $20k?

If cargo is mandatory, then MS is obvious.
There are other factors. Ride comfort, dual screens, interior finish, larger screen, sunroof, power trunk and side mirrors.

PM3 is a newer chassis, modern finish, handles more nimble, 310miles range, track mode, full brand new warranty.

All depends on what your looking for for your family. Do you like the ‘feel’ of a 5 series which has a smoother suspension, a bit more luxuries, slightly faster....over a 3 series with a smaller chassis but handles better and easier to maneuver and park?

I’d find a way to test drive the PM3 first and a P100D and see if the differences mean anything to you.

Good luck :) either pick you can’t go wrong!

• Informative
Reactions: BridgeMojo
This discussion sort of illustrates why it is near impossible for someone to pick the right car for another person. I have free supercharging and it will transfer with the car only I do not view is as a bid deal and here is why...

I use the Superchargers about 6-10 a year. I charge at home about 98% of the time so for my next Tesla it wouldn’t be a deal breaker to lose the free supercharging. I also hope to keep this car for 8-10 years. So when I do sell or trade it, it will have depreciated so much that I don’t think the resale will be that heavily impacted by free supercharging. Just not a big deal for me.

However, if I could just magically snap my fingers and get a 100D over my current 90D, I would in a heartbeat because of the 40% range loss I experience on the coldest winter days.

Reactions: Destiny1701
After all this, I ended up ordering an M3 today. The cargo space in the M3 is not as bad as I thought and the interior is really nice. Saving a ton of cash is an added bonus. The only major downside so far is waiting until March for delivery. Thanks for everyone’s input. I guess I better banish myself to the M3 forum now.

Reactions: Destiny1701
After all this, I ended up ordering an M3 today. The cargo space in the M3 is not as bad as I thought and the interior is really nice. Saving a ton of cash is an added bonus. The only major downside so far is waiting until March for delivery. Thanks for everyone’s input. I guess I better banish myself to the M3 forum now.

Congrats and enjoy your new car!

I had to choose between a new X or SP100D or wait for the Porsche Taycan. My other choices were the Panamera Turbo S (very luxurious interior with 1000x choices) and the hideous Lambo Uris. I could have looked at the G-Wagon (just no). Decided on the SP100D out of these cars based mainly on performance: I fell in love after driving the S P100D and bought the car I test drove at a significant discount.

I did not consider the 100D. The P3 was available but never considered it because my 11 yr old preferred the S. Yeah, it’s mostly his ride anyway;)

Buying a car is such an emotional decision. Hope you love your car as much as I do mine!

You don’t have to leave here either:)

Reactions: Argonaut

Congrats :) which variant? Always happy to welcome a new T owner!