Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AEB is too abrupt - I got rear-ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The logic being, “the car isn’t omnipotent, so providing bogus documentation about the car is therefore justified”?
No.

The car makes a best effort attempt at mitigating frontal collision by initiating the AEB functionality, with the knowledge that is available to the car at the time.

Most of the factors involved in the stopping, are unknowable by the car, as the car isn't omnipotent. So it can't perfectly anticipate the unknowable, and avoid all possible accidents.

So like the documentation says, it's purpose is mitigate the severity of frontal collisions. It does, what it says it does.

Show me this "bogus documentation" you are speaking of.

The logic being, “the car isn’t omnipotent, so providing bogus documentation about the car is therefore justified”?
AEB systems are designed to stop the car without hitting the object in front of it if the car is traveling 30mph or less. There's nothing preventing it from performing better than that. When consumer reports, IIHS, or NHTSA tests AEB systems, the systems gets a failing grade if it hits the object when the car is traveling 30 mph.

If you go to the NHTSA.gov website, the link where is shows "how it works", it shows the car stopping like 10 feet from the car in front of it...

Look how far the Mazda stops in the Euro NCAP.

I've never had AEB engage, but I have my forward collision warning set to "early" so it does beep at me from time to time when it detects a threat.

When I am cruising on autopilot, regardless of what I have my following distance set to (7 or 3) it does stop too abruptly for my own tastes and I am constantly looking in my rear view mirror to make sure no one is following to close behind me.

No.

The car makes a best effort attempt at mitigating frontal collision by initiating the AEB functionality, with the knowledge that is available to the car at the time.

Most of the factors involved in the stopping, are unknowable by the car, as the car isn't omnipotent. So it can't perfectly anticipate the unknowable, and avoid all possible accidents.

So like the documentation says, it's purpose is mitigate the severity of frontal collisions. It does, what it says it does.

Show me this "bogus documentation" you are speaking of.
From page 58:
WARNING: Automatic Emergency Braking (if equipped) is not designed to prevent a collision. At best, it can minimize the impact of a frontal collision by attempting to reduce your driving speed. Depending on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death.
Again, notice the words “at best”.

So, after reading this part of the manual and considering whether I want to enable AEB, my immediate reaction is that it is a no-brainer — there’s going to be a collision anyway, the only possible outcome in enabling the feature Is that the collision is softened to some extent By AEB. There’s nothing to lose by enabling that feature.

Now, if the manual straightforwardly pointed out that AEB could cause a collision to be avoided by 5 feet, the decision to enable the software stops being a no-brainer, for me.

Really, you were just writing a quick post on the subject, and if they substituted part of your post for that warning it would probably be less misleading.

If the traffic in front of you suddenly stops and you rear-end the vehicle in front of you, you were - by definition - following too closely.

If the car behind you rear-ends you under any circumstances, then it was - by definition - following too closely.

AEB helps in the first scenario, but it seems silly to “blame” it when the second scenario occurs.

I still get the phantom objects in front of me on open highway where the car will just randomly brake... Super annoying.
Yes Phantom breaking within autopilot is anywhere from Annoying to dangerous. But this is different from the debate within this Thread about the vicissitudes of automatic emergency braking. Phantom braking within autopilot is not typically initiated by the radar sensors. This distinction may not apply to the new cars but on the older cars automatic emergency braking is under the control of the radar system while Phantom breaking may be more visual. It's easy to conflate the two but they are I believe functionally somewhat distinct. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable about Tesla software can clarify or confirm

Reactions: cylonmode
From page 58:
WARNING: Automatic Emergency Braking (if equipped) is not designed to prevent a collision. At best, it can minimize the impact of a frontal collision by attempting to reduce your driving speed. Depending on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death.
Again, notice the words “at best”.

So, after reading this part of the manual and considering whether I want to enable AEB, my immediate reaction is that it is a no-brainer — there’s going to be a collision anyway, the only possible outcome in enabling the feature Is that the collision is softened to some extent By AEB. There’s nothing to lose by enabling that feature.

Now, if the manual straightforwardly pointed out that AEB could cause a collision to be avoided by 5 feet, the decision to enable the software stops being a no-brainer, for me.

Really, you were just writing a quick post on the subject, and if they substituted part of your post for that warning it would probably be less misleading.

So, you'd rather it did what it said in the manual, and actually run into the car in front even though it could manage to stop, you would rather it just ran into the car in front, just to prove your interpretation of the manual?

That's rather perverse logic.

-----

If you actually read the paragraph, as a paragraph, rather than picking individual sentence, or words out of context, it is talking about what AEB is 'Designed' to do. It's "Not designed to prevent a collision" [from the front or the rear]. [In terms of It's design] At best, it can minimize the impact of a frontal collision by attempting to reduce your driving speed.

So, it specifically states, its not DESIGNED to prevent a collision. (Be that a collision from the front, or in this context, neither from the rear). It doesn't say that is "SHALL NOT" prevent a collision, when it is possible. It says that it's purpose isn't to prevent the collision.

It then goes on to say "Minimize" the impact of a frontal collision, by 'Attempting' to reduce your driving speed. Minimizing the frontal collision to '0' impact, is surely successfully minimizing the impact.

-------

So, although it's not designed to avoid the collision (at the front, or the rear - or the side for that matter), that does NOT mean that it is obligated to have a collision if it is activated. That would be a particularly perverse reading.

The fact that a rear collision also occurred, is actually what the Warning particularly highlights as a likely outcome.

"Depending on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death"
i.e. Don't rely on it to avoid a collision, because it's not designed to eliminate the possibility (prevent) a collision, and even it it manages

You may also want to read the whole paragraph on AEB, which gives more than just the highlights on page 28 (Page 113)
Particularly the paragraph saying
"Automatic Emergence Braking does not apply the brakes, or stops applying the brakes when:
You press and release the brake pedal
You accelerate hard
You turn the steering wheel sharply.
etc.etc.
"

So, as has been pointed out, the car actually DOES have the behavior you are complaining it doesn't. It's just that you need to learn how to operate the car fully.

If you want to steer around the obstacle, then just do it.
If you want to continue to move forward, release the brake.
If you want to accelerate, then go for it.

Your driving the car, drive it how you want.

Also, follow up with reading the Obstacle-Aware Acceleration, which is intentionally the next section.

So, if AEB gets you down to 10mph, and then you accelerate the last few feet if you so decide, OAA will then kick in and stop you hitting hard into the back of the car, might be a soft hit, or might hit the brakes right up close. so you don't hit at more than 10mph approx. It may even actually even avoid the collision, and allow you to close that gap.

Then, go on to read the "Limitations and inaccuracies" paragraph. This outlines exactly the sort of things you claim isn't documented.

You might find it beneficial to "RTFM"

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
But my whole point in sharing this was that I could have prevented the accident from happening if I could have prevented the Tesla from braking so hard...

But you don't know that. Even if you had AEB turned off and you were in full control, you still could have been rear-ended. Just bcos you are an alert driver, that doesn't mean the person behind you is.

Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Please never do this. Getting rear ended straight on in a travel lane, even at high speed, is a survivable accident in almost all cases. Swerving is how you roll over and die. Remember the circumstance here is that AEB engaged, which means by definition the driver was not aware enough to have stopped in time to avoid the car ahead. It strains reason to argue the driver is going to be reliably aware of a gap in a lane to the side. Don't. Never swerve.
I disagree with that definition. I have on several occasions been mere milliseconds away from applying the brakes myself when AEB kicked in and would have undoubtedly avoided any incident had AEB not intervened.

I do however agree that bailing from the lane is idiotic.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
People often convince themselves they can always perform optimally in situations, often finding anecdotal evidence to prove it to themselves (and potentially others). Disabling AEB on any car, regardless of manufacturer, is a terrible risk analysis. In the vast majority of situations, it will save both property and lives.

In regards to the moving to avoid an accident, it‘s quite interesting. The car’s own software does it.

Reactions: Sam1 and dfwatt
But my whole point in sharing this was that I could have prevented the accident from happening if I could have prevented the Tesla from braking so hard... That is why I mentioned the 5-10 ft of space in between me and the truck. I would have used that space to create extra buffer in between all 3 cars. AEB just locks the brakes.
You can turn off AEB in the settings if it worries you.

This thread has made me realize that AEB may have triggered recently when a car pulled out in front of me from a side road. I heard the tires slide on the road a bit, and I was surprised that I'd braked that hard.

I'm going to look to see whether it recorded the video automatically.

... No, it didn't save a clip. Shouldn't it have?

Last edited:
This thread has made me realize that AEB may have triggered recently when a car pulled out in front of me from a side road. I heard the tires slide on the road a bit, and I was surprised that I'd braked that hard.

I'm going to look to see whether it recorded the video automatically.

... No, it didn't save a clip. Shouldn't it have?
It wouldn't save a clip automatically in that situation. You either have to hit to horn (and have the feature enabled to save the clip when honking the horn) or physically hit the save icon.

And AEB absolutely will engage from either cross traffic or a vehicle pulling in front of you, if the software thinks you might hit them based on speed and proximity.

It wouldn't save a clip automatically in that situation. You either have to hit to horn (and have the feature enabled to save the clip when honking the horn) or physically hit the save icon.
With the latest firmware, the dashcam will now automatically save when air bags are deployed and in some other emergency events.

Dashcam can now automatically save clips whenever your vehicle detects the occurrence of a safety event (such as an accident or airbag deployment). Recordings captured are stored locally and never transmitted to Tesla. To opt-in, tap Controls > Safety & Security > Dashcam > AUTO. To learn more about how to setup and use Dashcam, please refer to the Owner's Manual.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and focher