Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am unfamiliar with that fastener :biggrin: I don't think it needs to be clear for mounting purposes, the edge slot should locate it and it shouldn't be that hard to line up the holes. Or use some studs that attach to the wheel first, then you slide the cover over them and then use nuts to tighten it down.

That makes sense, JRP3. I hadn't considered a two part solution... tie down the inner plate, with j-bolts, then screw in the pie-plate to the studs.

Look up Sex Bolt... made me giggle.

I think a polycarbonate solution would be expensive and maybe even a bit too heavy...

I think a thin aluminum disk (not unlike the pie plates, except designed specifically for this) seems like it would be lighter weight and cheaper to make, and
if molded or pressed correctly, could possible just snap in to the existing wheel structure - with a release lever or bolt(s)

Could also look really awesome if designed just right.

Or uh, am I just re-inventing the hubcap ? :eek: but in this case it's kind of a cap to go over a wheel not designed to otherwise take one...

On another note, I really think the moon wheels look cool - simple and retro.

If someone could design some aero wheels made out of carbon fiber that weren't too expensive and were specifically designed for the model S, well they'd have a real hit on their hands I think (especially if they were more immune to curb rash than the stock wheels.) Heck even just decent aluminum wheels.

I'm sure somebody will come up with some sooner or later -- maybe even Tesla.

I can imagine a simple plastic clip in a "C" shape that snaps onto the spokes for the 19 inch wheels and holds the cover on. The 21 inch turbines would be a bit harder to do but something similar might work where the spokes narrow near the hub.

found these Center Line Wheels

20060725101340_smoothie.jpg

I think I’d personally prefer these from Volvo. From the V60 plug-in hybrid (Might be the prototype/concept. Aren’t sure):

V60_rims.jpg

Credit: Volvo Cars

Volvo_V60.jpg

And here’s the rims from the V50 1,6D Drive:

V50_rims.jpg

volvo_v50_2.jpg

volvo_v50.jpg

This was a diesel optimized for fuel-efficiency. And among those optimizations were these 15-inch rims. Officially for it's last iteration (the V50 D2 Drive) it was labelled with 99 grams of CO2/km on the combined EU cycle. Discontinued a while back and not really replaced for some reason. The new model is more of a five door hatchback – the V40. I don’t think Volvo sold this version in North America.

Last edited: