Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After market rear screen install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
This project started out with the aim of replacing the USB A ports in the rear with USB C, so that the kids could charge and use their devices at the same time.

I bought a harness upgrade from Ali Express for £6, and a replacement rear vent with USB C for £37. The replacement vent arrived very scratched so I returned that for a full refund and started trying to source the part elsewhere. Ebay was over £100 used at the time of looking. Direct from Tesla for a new part was £95.

As an avid Ali Express patron, I'd been seeing rear screens in my feed for sometime. I waited for a sale and used some coupons to pick up an "8.66" smart large screen Rear intelligent control & air purification & entertainment system"....

Cost was £105.83 delivered.

Installed it today and I'm pleasantly surprised. The screen is bright and responsive, the dual USB C ports output 15w, The audio is separate to the main car as it has its own speakers plus bluetooth so the kids can pair their headphones. Full access to play store as well so can install games or other apps for the kids.

In terms of interoperability with the car:

1. It can move the front passenger seat forward/backward/tilt up/tilt down
2. On both front seats it will activate the lumber function (if fitted) to provide a massage.
3. Rear heated seats can be activated from the screen (although I haven't paid for these...yet).
4. Can control aircon in the back which feels far stronger that the regular air con - not sure why.
5. Kids can activate camp mode themselves if left in the car, and a few other modes.
6. Glovebox can be opened - with a pin.

I was very surprised that the functionality to activate lumber massage and moving the passenger seat was available from just the connection to the rear OBD port, had thought that a separate wiring harness plugged into each seat was required for this.

Installation took 10 minutes, was really simple:

1. Power off car
2. Remove bottom cover for OBD port and existing rear vent - Tesla Service Link
3. Disconnect the OBD port

20240613_172031.jpg

4. Feed the two small connectors for the new supplied cable up the channel on the left hand side

20240613_172024.jpg

5. Connect the two small ports on the cable to the back of the new rear screen and push the new screen into place.
6. Plug the bottom of the cable inline between the male and female ends of the OBD cable.
7. Make sure the OBD ports is tucked away in the hole and replace the flap.

Fits really flush at the top and sides. It's obviously chunkier than the original rear vent but worth it in my opinion.

20240613_172237.jpg

20240613_172956.jpg

20240613_172949.jpg

Took a quick reading of the rear ports whilst charging a (nearly full) macbook pro:

Screenshot_20240613_175410_E-test.jpg

This project started out with the aim of replacing the USB A ports in the rear with USB C, so that the kids could charge and use their devices at the same time.

I bought a harness upgrade from Ali Express for £6, and a replacement rear vent with USB C for £37. The replacement vent arrived very scratched so I returned that for a full refund and started trying to source the part elsewhere. Ebay was over £100 used at the time of looking. Direct from Tesla for a new part was £95.

As an avid Ali Express patron, I'd been seeing rear screens in my feed for sometime. I waited for a sale and used some coupons to pick up an "8.66" smart large screen Rear intelligent control & air purification & entertainment system"....

Installed it today and I'm pleasantly surprised. The screen is bright and responsive, the dual USB C ports output 15w, The audio is separate to the main car as it has its own speakers plus bluetooth so the kids can pair their headphones. Full access to play store as well so can install games or other apps for the kids.

2. On both front seats it will activate the lumber function (if fitted) to provide a massage.
3. Rear heated seats can be activated from the screen (although I haven't paid for these...yet).
4. Can control aircon in the back which feels far stronger that the regular air con - not sure why.
5. Kids can activate camp mode themselves if left in the car, and a few other modes.

I was very surprised that the functionality to activate lumber massage and moving the passenger seat was available from just the connection to the rear OBD port, had thought that a separate wiring harness plugged into each seat was required for this.

1. Power off car

View attachment 1056264

4. Feed the two small connectors for the new supplied cable up the channel on the left hand side

View attachment 1056265

5. Connect the two small ports on the cable to the back of the new rear screen and push the new screen into place.
6. Plug the bottom of the cable inline between the male and female ends of the OBD cable.

Fits really flush at the top and sides. It's obviously chunkier than the original rear vent but worth it in my opinion.

View attachment 1056266

View attachment 1056267

View attachment 1056268

Took a quick reading of the rear ports whilst charging a (nearly full) macbook pro:

View attachment 1056269
Pretty impressive that it’s easy to fit and well specced and on an older model too

Reactions: Medved_77

1. Power off car

View attachment 1056264

View attachment 1056265

View attachment 1056266

View attachment 1056267

View attachment 1056268

View attachment 1056269
I'm curious which AliExpress skills give you £20 off!

1. Power off car

View attachment 1056264

View attachment 1056265

View attachment 1056266

View attachment 1056267

View attachment 1056268

View attachment 1056269

My dad would say; Movies? Let the kids count out of state license plates! 🤣

I Spy books…

Looks like they have had a bit of a make over though. I guess trying to spy a Standard Class 5MT is less relevant these days!

I'm curious which AliExpress skills give you £20 off!

Base price is slightly higher now that the sale has finished. During the sale there was a £10 off on spends of £100+ coupon and I converted some coins into another £2 of savings.

Wait... what? There is a lumbar massage functionality in the Model YP?

It just cycles the lumber support up/down and in/out so pretty rudimentary. There are two strengths to choose from.
Main issue is that you need compliant rear passengers in order to activate this functionality :)

Looks nice. The listing states they do not recommend this unit for MY after Feb 2023 with 16v battery. Does your car have 16v or 12v battery?

I've got the 12v battery. Not sure why it wouldn't work on the 16v battery but would probably not risk it!

When my kids don't have their devices, they play "Yellow Car". When you spot a yellow car you then punch your opponent. We determined it was less of a health risk to just give them their devices. 🤣

Presumably the rear screen takes Netflix/music/games etc. from the phone via Car/Android Play and not from the built in infotainment in the car. So it would just be local to the back seat passengers and not interact with the car's data (except for the air conditioner and seats).

Presumably the rear screen takes Netflix/music/games etc. from the phone via Car/Android Play and not from the built in infotainment in the car. So it would just be local to the back seat passengers and not interact with the car's data (except for the air conditioner and seats).
Correct. Media functions are independent of the car with the exception that you can change the volume and skip tracks of the music playing throughout the car.

The rear screen does have android auto and Apple car play is available to install however you can also run apps natively if you didn't want to connect a phone.

It doesn't use the car's data so needs to connect to a mobile hotspot.