Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ahh! I locked my key fob in the car while 70 miles from home!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the way to Vancover BC and on my first stop, my daugther took my key fob and left it on the back seat and the car locked. I panicked for 30 seconds and realized that I have the iPhone app that can unlock the car. And it worked! Whew!

Thanks to everyone who made the unlock feature!!

I am on the way to Vancover BC and on my first stop, my daugther took my key fob and left it on the back seat and the car locked. I panicked for 30 seconds and realized that I have the iPhone app that can unlock the car. And it worked! Whew!

Thanks to everyone who made the unlock feature!!

i've used the unlock/lock several times already to stash shopping, whathaveyou, in my car while valet parked and i had no access to the key. super handy. not to mention never having to worry about remembering where i parked my car ever again.

The fob was on the back seat, non-driver side, taunting me :)

The handles retracted and I assumed it locked. Maybe not? Maybe I could have pressed on the handle to open it? I won't experiment until I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

I also realized now that I am in Canada that since US cars loses 3G in Canada, the app does not work. Bummer.

I'm surprised they would allow the fob to become locked in the car. Both my current Lexus and my wife's Leaf do not allow this. In the case of the Lexus the car beeps in a particular way when you attempt to lock it with a fob inside and does not lock.
Yeah. Ditto. Toyota's w/smart key system emit a very LONG beep if you try looking it inside (from my experience w/my Prius). Nissan's emit a series of rapid beeps (from my mom's Altima Hybrid).

The fob was on the back seat, non-driver side, taunting me :)

The handles retracted and I assumed it locked. Maybe not? Maybe I could have pressed on the handle to open it? I won't experiment until I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

I also realized now that I am in Canada that since US cars loses 3G in Canada, the app does not work. Bummer.

Having played wtih a MS in Arizona with the FOB in the car, the car was not locked.

Yeah. Ditto. Toyota's w/smart key system emit a very LONG beep if you try looking it inside (from my experience w/my Prius).

Yes, but there are a couple of dead spots in the back of the Prius and if the fob just happens to be in one of them... I suspect most cars have one or more dead spots. However because you normally never take the fob out of your pocket, it's not normally an issue.

I'm just imagining now leaving the the key in the car AND my iPhone attached to the USB as the car locks itself. I guess I'd have to find a stranger and ask "Can I install an app onto your iPhone so I can unlock my car?" :confused:

Just remember to log out of the stranger's Tesla Model S app.

I have done this on purpose before when taking my car to the car wash. I just touched the handles and they extended and I opened the door. I wasn't too worried since I knew that I had the app as a backup way to unlock the car if it did not let me in.

I will be more carefull where I leave the FOB realizing that there are deadzones in the car