Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Compressor Replacement + Air Line & Air Shocks inspection DIY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd post this as it may be helpful for others. Especially if you can DIY and don't want to pay Tesla many £1000's to fix these air compressor/suspension-related issues.

I started to hear my air compressor turning on a lot more than it used to and it was getting a lot noisier than it used to be. At the same time, I started getting 'Air Compressor Disabled, Car Cannot Raise' messages, these increased as the temperature dropped to 0c and below.

The other issue I noticed was that the front left suspension was losing pressure and making the car sag on that front side. Clearly, this air shock or the lines to it were leaking and in turn making the compressor run a huge amount more than it was designed for.

To test the lines and suspension I got some leak detection spray and covered all the lines, connections, pumps and tank with it to see if anything was leaking. It wasn't. On to the shocks and the suspect shock created a nice foam party :) The other front one is fine as were both the back ones.

Good one:

IMG_3005.jpg

Bad one:

IMG_3008.jpg

Next thing to tackle was the Air Compressor itself. I would have loved to rebuild this but I can't find the parts, unfortunately. I found that this pump is used in the Audi Q5, Lamborghini Huracan, Porshe Panamera and probably others. It's made by Wabco with the motor by Lucas. I took it all apart and it was full of rust and most probably the press-fit piston ring shot. I have pics of this dismantled if anyone wants me to post them. I ordered a 3rd party part for £300. It has arrived and I fitted it today. It works well and is super quiet! The replacement air shock won't be with me for another 10 days so it will have to handle being used a little bit more than usual for a few days.

While changing the compressor I found another issue. One of the lines from the pump had been rubbed away by its surroundings. It's probably 0.1mm away from a pinhole! I'll order a new piece of line for this and move it away from the rubbing parts near it.

Compressor location (after I removed it) and 2nd pic circled where the black line had been rubbing against the electrical connector:

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

You need a few hours to troubleshoot, take things apart, and remove and reinstall the air compressor but it's an easy job. You do have to jack up the car (put it in jack mode) and remove the FR wheel so for anyone attempting this, make sure you use the right safety measures, Jack stands etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 777
My MX has blown the 40A compressor fuse twice this winter.. It then shows the "air suspension compressor disabled" message. Seems to happen after warm period when it suddenly gets much colder. Must be water somehow freezing in the compressor!

If I change the fuse right away, it will blow instantly again. But if I drive the car to some warm garage and try again after a while, fuse doesn't blow and compressor starts! For me it's not necessary to power off/on, just sit in driver's seat and press the brake pedal.

I don't seem to have any leaks in the struts. I can ignore the blown fuse for days and drive height doesn't change, car looks normal.

But OP thanks for these pictures and write-up! I'll check the compressor to see if there's anything wrong there. I assume a small leak could allow water to get in..

My MX has blown the 40A compressor fuse twice this winter.. It then shows the "air suspension compressor disabled" message. Seems to happen after warm period when it suddenly gets much colder. Must be water somehow freezing in the compressor!

If I change the fuse right away, it will blow instantly again. But if I drive the car to some warm garage and try again after a while, fuse doesn't blow and compressor starts! For me it's not necessary to power off/on, just sit in driver's seat and press the brake pedal.

I don't seem to have any leaks in the struts. I can ignore the blown fuse for days and drive height doesn't change, car looks normal.

But OP thanks for these pictures and write-up! I'll check the compressor to see if there's anything wrong there. I assume a small leak could allow water to get in..

Yes, it sounds like just an air compressor in your case, pulling too many amps due to having water ingress and being rusted and/or frozen like mine. You can take it out and apart to check. Some of it is press fit together so be prepared to use your vice and a hammer and probably order a new one!

Please do, I'd be interested to see what you found in case I ever need to do this.

Will upload some pics soon.

great explanation thanks. Can you provide part numbers for shock and compressor.

I just searched eBay and found the parts that way.

As requested, the compressor disassembled. Shame there isn’t a rebuild kit available. Plenty of rebuild kits for others. Lots of corrosion and rust but saveable with the right bits, although not 100% sure with this press fit piston ring.View attachment 905839
View attachment 905840
That’s why they want you too use nitrogen in the system is to help remove the moisture and regenerate the intake filter by drying it out …good find on that black reservoir hose leak I bet a bunch of air compressors and springs have been replaced because of that hose leaking

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun