Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, it's not an engineering issue with 6/7 seats requiring SAS (since Canadian reservation holders are not offered this deal). And the "earlier" delivery is only about 1 month ahead of those sticking with coils.

Still confused as to why it's required on the design studio except that's how new orders will have to be configured for higher price points.

Spoke to inside sales today. The difference in price between a 5 seater and 6 seater is significant at this point. this air suspension requirement is pretty annoying. I told them If I don't get my X by July I will have to wait until September. I just want my X before August. If it fills to August I can't receive it until September so I may as well have stuck with the coil.

Note- I was told I'll be receiving July. Not June -July. Looks like June is booked.

I was told I have until Friday to decide. $1250 + $750 for tow package. I've never towed anything before and don't really have the need to. I wanted a luggage rack so I was thinking of doing the hitch accessory but now I'm thinking of just doing the full tow package.

I was told the hitch accessory cannot tow anything. What should I do?

Last edited:
Yes, it's only $550 if you already paid $200 for the accessory hitch like I did. I left the inside salesperson a voicemail that I would like to upgrade to SAS and full tow package, and to call me back with confirmation of my change.

...and then I started to second-guess my color selection...(sigh). I am still in love with Midnight Silver Metallic, even though I like the Blue and Obsidian as well (just not as much)..

Spoke to inside sales today. The difference in price between a 5 seater and 6 seater is significant at this point. this air suspension requirement is pretty annoying. I told them If I don't get my X by July I will have to wait until September. I just want my X before August. If it fills to August I can't receive it until September so I may as well have stuck with the coil.

Note- I was told I'll be receiving July. Not June -July. Looks like June is booked.

I was told I have until Friday to decide. $1250 + $750 for tow package. I've never towed anything before and don't really have the need to. I wanted a luggage rack so I was thinking of doing the hitch accessory but now I'm thinking of just doing the full tow package.

I was told the hitch accessory cannot tow anything. What should I do?

I am in the same boat and am leaning towards just the accessory hitch. I have never towed anything and don't foresee myself doing so in the next 3 years (time I plan to have this version of the X). The only foreseeable need I have is a place to store luggage which the accessory hitch would provide. I also have a larger SUV that can tow should I find a need.

Also, based on all of the comments it seems at least probable those that order the accessory hitch would receive the full tow package anyway - at least in the immediate future. I'm sure they could change any time though.

Like you, I am still wanting to make sure I am not overlooking anything.

Regarding the reason that air is being required for 6-7 seaters, my DS wrote this:

"It is recommended so that the Model X can get the correct leveling when adding weight / passengers to the back seats. The vehicle should have a certain ride height and level for aerodynamic reasons."

Regarding the reason that air is being required for 6-7 seaters, my DS wrote this:

"It is recommended so that the Model X can get the correct leveling when adding weight / passengers to the back seats. The vehicle should have a certain ride height and level for aerodynamic reasons."
It doesn't sound like "recommend" is what they're doing. They could always add more spring in a 6, or 7, passenger configuration.

It doesn't sound like "recommend" is what they're doing. They could always add more spring in a 6, or 7, passenger configuration.

It's mandatory for new orders but recommended for those of us who already confirmed prior to the change.

I don't know if adding more springs would help, but it makes sense to me that it is something that would need to be dynamic to adjust for differing weights that may be riding back there at a given time.

Really, what happens when a person with a coil Model S loads up the trunk with stuff? They are un-level? I ordered 5 seat, coil specifically because I want to carry "stuff" not people. Isn't that why most people would order 5 seats? So a 5 seat, coil loaded with stuff instead of people is going to be unbalanced. Oh come on, can't you design an SUV on coils? I think they are trying to pump out as much profit as they can and are taking advantage of people's inability to delay gratification. Repeatedly I've heard/read "Air suspension is expensive to fix and will break at some point." Count me in for Sept, Oct, Nov.......5 seats and coils, thanks for the free 75 upgrade, but deliver what you promised.

Got the call from my DS too. I love a deal, and 1/2 price is attractive, but I'm just not buying the July delivery. Even my DS agreed that it's probably too aggressive, considering I'm on the East Coast and will most likely be August vs. October or so for coils...

My tesla sales rep said as early as June. I'm tempted to believer her since I really want the X NOW!!
Just don't see that happening.
I confirmed my car on March 28th and it will go into Production the week of May 23rd (or later) 1-2 weeks of build and QC and then 10 days to ship via rail/truck to Texas. That puts it at Mid June at the earliest. Just don't see them getting out any 75D models that fast unless they jump them into the queue ahead of 90D models that already have VINs and production slots.

Doubt this also since Canadian reservation holders are not offered this deal. Perhaps the Canadians are not as heavy as us 'mericans.

Last edited:
Reactions: beths11
@ssq I put the deposit for my X in late 2013. It was confirmed/finalized 7 days after I took a test drive in Costa Mesa. 2/27.

I have it scheduled for pickup at the factory. I plan on taking a road trip with the family. Fly to SJC airport, take a tour of the factory, get the X, drive to Sequoia or Yosemite, drive to Santa Barbara, then back to Los Angeles. We'll take it slow but should be lots of fun.

It's a bonus since it's a one way trip which makes it more tolerable for my wife.

Reactions: ssq