Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to Tesla sales today. They said that they expect our non-air suspension models to be produced normally and that it will not cause a delay in our production either. The guy said that the new requirement could be because they wanted to maximize profit. He basically said this is the reason but I can't formally tell you. I asked about upgrading to the air suspension just for the heck of it and they said they could waive the fee so I just did the upgrade :-/
**canon fires** @Brandon332 has left the coil-suspension-island for smoother gliding voyages on his air suspension.
Jokes aside, thanks for the update! Did you shell out $2500 for the ASusp? I wonder if they will let us make other changes free of charge. My DS told me any change will trigger the "new price book" and add 6k to the cost (3k for 75D, 2.5k for AS, 500 change fee)

Last edited:
Sooo here's what happened today. I called back Sales and spoke to the representative that I had spoken to earlier in the week. He said, "here is the official word from Corporate - we still don't have a resolution". I almost fell out of my chair for such a ridiculous response. For those of you catching up, on Monday this rep said a definitive resolution would be communicated Tuesday and yesterday he told me the resolution was pushed to today instead. Of course I pushed back and asked to speak with his manager because I didn't feel it was fair for me to give him a hard time since he's just the messenger (although I did point out to him that he shouldn't be setting false expectations with customers). Then he proceeded to tell me that his manager was busy and didn't have time to speak with me. Clearly, that also wasn't the right response so I said "ok, I want to speak to his manager then."

Long story short I ended up speaking to the Head of Internal Sales Operations. He didn't really have much more to say but sounded sincere. He indicated that he thinks June was a pretty aggressive estimate, but that July does seem fair. He also stated that if the coil suspension impacted the production queue, we would be notified prior so that we don't miss the boat.

I almost pulled the trigger and upgraded the suspension but figured at this point, I might as well wait and see what happens. He did comment that he felt there was more to this new requirement (ride comfort/functionality) rather than only for financial gain. He agreed to contact me as soon as he hears anything going forward.

I know still not much of an update, but figured I would share with the group.

He also stated that if the coil suspension impacted the production queue, we would be notified prior so that we don't miss the boa
Did he imply he will let us know to add the air suspension and not miss the boat as in be sent to the back of the line? And if we do not we should expect more delays.. Not clear to me, sorry.
And did he state the cost for adding air suspension? And that the upgrade fee will be waived?

I know still not much of an update, but figured I would share with the group.

Thanks so much for following up and reporting back! You probably have a better sense of this since you actually talked to them, but between the changing decision dates and the lack of specifics, it sort of sounds like Sales has no idea what is happening with the production queue. Nothing against them, just reads like they are doing the best they can while being very silo'ed into their own worlds of ops and sales.

The reason I suspect that is because neither of your contacts appear to have given you any information that any of us on the outside don't already have. e.g. We don't know why air became required; 75 delivery timing used to be June (aggressive), but is now July (so, "fair"); we should get notified if dates slip (no information about if/why that might happen, but good customer service would imply a notification call); etc.

Overall, it seems like they are doing a reasonable job in the absence of information - and good on them for trying to be responsive and sympathetic when they aren't really in a position to help.

Did he imply he will let us know to add the air suspension and not miss the boat as in be sent to the back of the line? And if we do not we should expect more delays.. Not clear to me, sorry.
And did he state the cost for adding air suspension? And that the upgrade fee will be waived?

Did he imply he will let us know to add the air suspension and not miss the boat as in be sent to the back of the line? - Correct
And did he state the cost for adding air suspension? - $2,500
And that the upgrade fee will be waived? - I did not ask this, but I presume it would be waived

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
I ordered the 75D after the battery upgrade was announced, b/c I figured I don't want to miss out on the next "free" upgrade, lol.
But I did order the tow hitch...I read some people have received the entire tow package instead of just the hitch (that would be okay with me too :)

So...hopefully the air suspension for my 7-seater will be gratis. One can only hope.

Patience young grasshopper.

upload_2016-4-27_20-32-44.jpeg

I ordered the 75D after the battery upgrade was announced, b/c I figured I don't want to miss out on the next "free" upgrade, lol.
But I did order the tow hitch...I read some people have received the entire tow package instead of just the hitch (that would be okay with me too :)

So...hopefully the air suspension for my 7-seater will be gratis. One can only hope.

I have the hitch on order, I need to do some thread searching for tow package. Pointers, if you have them handy, please!

search: $200 tow hitch worth it?

Still kicking myself for not checking that box when I originally ordered in January and it was free. To add insult to injury I neglected to add it a second time when I paid a change fee to go from 7 --> 6 and white seats. I don't have any intention of towing anything but I did not realize they made some cool cargo carriers that could be useful for storing luggage. D'oh!

Last edited:
Also for future readers, $200 for a 2" factory installed tow hitch is the most economical future proof option available for the X. Some of the options are typical bloated option priced, but this one would cost you more aftermarket assuming it is even practical. I wonder if any of the recent production deliveries that did not order a hitch/tow and can report if they have a stealth hitch and or empty panel perhaps?

• Informative
Reactions: loganintx and ssq
Also for future readers, $200 for a 2" factory installed tow hitch is the most economical future proof option available for the X. Some of the options are typical bloated option priced, but this one would cost you more aftermarket assuming it is even practical. I wonder if any of the recent production deliveries that did not order a hitch/tow and can report if they have a stealth hitch and or empty panel perhaps?

And the thing about that is you're risking Tesla changing it to the advertised limited hitch. The original 120 lb limit has to be incorrect (or maybe only correct for the 1.25" hitch that they initially planned to offer). So by all means, $200 is a relative bargain for the accessory capabilities, assuming it is rated for whatever you're carrying. Just don't buy it with the goal of getting the stealth towing package. Know what you're buying.

My personal opinion, if I haven't stated it enough already, is to pay $750 for the full towing package, even if you don't plan to tow. The weight limit is higher, and in the rare case that you need to rent a trailer/u-haul/etc, you can do it with ease. Considering the full towing package is the equivalent price of a cosmetic trim upgrade (assuming SAS is already in the cards), I think it's a no-brainer.

If you ordered full Towing Hitch, you *must* also include Smart Air Suspension. It's been that way from the start.
If you ordered the Hitch Accessory, you don't need to include the Smart Air Suspension.

If you ordered full Towing Hitch, you *must* also include Smart Air Suspension. It's been that way from the start.
If you ordered the Hitch Accessory, you don't need to include the Smart Air Suspension.
I went for the latter => If you ordered the Hitch Accessory, you don't need to include the Smart Air Suspension
Now if the air suspension is getting mandated on the 6/7 seater config, it probably auto upgrades the car to full towing package. I guess thats what is the crux of the thread that @DuplexDianne referred to.

Reactions: DuplexDianne