Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While a delay would be annoying, my main concern would be to fully understand why the Air is now required for 6/7 seat models. Assuming they do ship some number of our orders with coil suspensions, I'd have some questions. If there is some engineering or quality reason for now making Air required for 75's with 6/7 seats, I'd want to know why some of us would be getting coil.

It's of course possible the reason is just money, but if so, they could have continued to make coil an option, just with a later delivery expectation than Air.

Reactions: mlouie23
I am back on the boat but with 20k less
But you didn't only get priority delivery with that 20k. Don't get me wrong - the situation with the seats and the quality that delayed everything sucks. And the way it worked out for you was far less than ideal. I definitely feel for you. But you do get more range and faster acceleration. I'm hoping there's a day soon after delivery where you take a road trip and realize you wouldn't have made it with the 70/75D. Then you'll be thrilled with your choice!

But you didn't only get priority delivery with that 20k. Don't get me wrong - the situation with the seats and the quality that delayed everything sucks. And the way it worked out for you was far less than ideal. I definitely feel for you. But you do get more range and faster acceleration. I'm hoping there's a day soon after delivery where you take a road trip and realize you wouldn't have made it with the 70/75D. Then you'll be thrilled with your choice!

I hope so, but now the 20k is starting to hurt (just a little) when I think about it. Since I can basically get the M3 for $25k with tax credit. I hope once I get my X I won't regret anything.

Just 5 years earlier, I couldn't even afford a car for $20k.

Reactions: Diavel and ssq
I hope so, but now the 20k is starting to hurt (just a little) when I think about it. Since I can basically get the M3 for $25k with tax credit. I hope once I get my X I won't regret anything.

Just 5 years earlier, I couldn't even afford a car for $20k.
. I can relate to you and probably still "not there yet" to be able to have pulled off the upgrade that you paid for. I feel for you, they essentially misguided you and are not able to keep their promise (it seems). But then as @ohmman said, you won't regret your choice once you get your car. I wish I had the flexibility to go for the 90D myself but hey..I cannot so I justify my choice with a dozen reasons ;) cutting down on all nin essential options on the X is financing my Model 3 for instance.. :)

While a delay would be annoying, my main concern would be to fully understand why the Air is now required for 6/7 seat models. Assuming they do ship some number of our orders with coil suspensions, I'd have some questions. If there is some engineering or quality reason for now making Air required for 75's with 6/7 seats, I'd want to know why some of us would be getting coil.

It's of course possible the reason is just money, but if so, they could have continued to make coil an option, just with a later delivery expectation than Air.

My sentiments exactly. Tesla's current distribution methods are to provide for the most optioned out vehicle first.

I just hope reservation holders get first vehicles at least.

Speaking of which, some X p90dl decided to use the same parking stall as me when the whole supercharger is empty while I type this. Had to move my car to not slow charging. I also saw another ludicrous with my same color today. I'm getting anxious... at least an announcement is coming.

Speaking of which, some X p90dl decided to use the same parking stall as me when the whole supercharger is empty while I type this. Had to move my car to not slow charging. I also saw another ludicrous with my same color today. I'm getting anxious... at least an announcement is coming.
If you were there first, your charging rate would not have been affected. Only the newcomer gets metered down. You did them a favor, though.

Reactions: Diavel and MP3Mike
I'm planning to call Tesla soon on my break to see what the status is. Other people should call too as it seems that every time someone calls they learn some new interesting piece of info. Good luck to all of us! :)
I call this morning and got someone inexperienced. She told me she had to check around then called me back. She told me that since I did not order the towing package, I do not need the air suspension. I told her the website is now requiring it for 6 and 7 seat configurations and she it does not apply to me since I ordered in December. Clearly, she did not know much about this issue.

I call this morning and got someone inexperienced. She told me she had to check around then called me back. She told me that since I did not order the towing package, I do not need the air suspension. I told her the website is now requiring it for 6 and 7 seat configurations and she it does not apply to me since I ordered in December. Clearly, she did not know much about this issue.
I had the same experience yesterday. So I am not so keen on calling today again. I would email buildmyX@tesla.. I think that would go to people who are more aware of this whole air suspension deal vs. generic sales reps.

My DS is on vacation until may 3rd. I called and spoke to someone in vehicle delivery in Fremont. He said he had another customer that Inquired about why the air suspension is required (engineering or quality issues) and he will email us around the end of the week regarding changes. Still update thread as soon as I find out.

I told them I Cannot pick up the vehicle between august and September and they said I should still be slated for a July delivery. Orders that come after even with the air suspension should take a back seat. However I doubt this is the consensus but more his opinion.

My DS is on vacation until may 3rd. I called and spoke to someone in vehicle delivery in Fremont. He said he had another customer that Inquired about why the air suspension is required (engineering or quality issues) and he will email us around the end of the week regarding changes. Still update thread as soon as I find out.

I told them I Cannot pick up the vehicle between august and September and they said I should still be slated for a July delivery. Orders that come after even with the air suspension should take a back seat. However I doubt this is the consensus but more his opinion.
Whats the deal with DS's being on vacation ? Mine too is gone and I know we don't have the same DS. When you say he will email us - you imply everyone with coil-75D will be informed, right ? July delivery confirmation again - I am stoked!!

I talked to Tesla sales today. They said that they expect our non-air suspension models to be produced normally and that it will not cause a delay in our production either. The guy said that the new requirement could be because they wanted to maximize profit. He basically said this is the reason but I can't formally tell you. I asked about upgrading to the air suspension just for the heck of it and they said they could waive the fee so I just did the upgrade :-/