Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension phenomena?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't want to miss my air suspension; I use it every day to get on our steep driveway and never once scraped the curb, as our neighbor does all the time with his Audi.

Having said that, is the air suspension covered under warranty or is it a wear item?

First off, air suspensions usually have tiny leaks in them. So very small that it's virtually imperceptible if you drive the car every 1-2 days. If you leave your car off, and in energy saving mode (deep sleep), and this super slow leak causes the suspension to droop, the car's level sensors are not active to detect this and readjust. Our Benz had this same operation, and I only notice it on the S if I haven't driven the car in a few days. It's a little lower, but will raise back up when you put it in Drive.

I have a VW Touareg with air suspension that "settles" a bit if it's not driven for a while. It pumps back up when started and doesn't affect driving at all. That said, I really love the air-ride. I can't speak to MS air suspension, but in mine, the difference between comfort mode and sport mode is drastic (which I like). I imagine the Tesla unit is more advanced.

I have a VW Touareg with air suspension that "settles" a bit if it's not driven for a while. It pumps back up when started and doesn't affect driving at all. That said, I really love the air-ride. I can't speak to MS air suspension, but in mine, the difference between comfort mode and sport mode is drastic (which I like). I imagine the Tesla unit is more advanced.

It is the electronically controlled dampers in your VW that allow a change from comfort to sport. Air springs can't change stiffness while maintaining a given ride height. Unlike your VW, the Model S does not have adjustable dampers, so I would say it's actually less advanced. :)

Thanks so much for this thread.
As I am, and will probably will ever be, hundreds of miles from the nearest service, if I ever get to configure my MX, I'll opt for coils. It sounds like the ride will be closer to what I'm used to with my last few compact cars. With the parking sensors & higher profile the MX will probably have, rubbing curbs & driveways might not be an issue, plus it's one less thing to break.
You will have saved me $$ I can use for paying down my solar panels!

As an air suspension equipped owner, I'm not glad to see this, but am not surprised. This is one of the systems I'm going to be especially proactive about during our ownership, as we intend to keep the car for a long time.

My March 2013 car with over 53,000 miles has given me no grief with the air suspension. Still good as new. I was also worried when I ordered the car, but back then, it was the only way to go. Coils had not yet been introduced.

I won't get into all the gory details of my experience with Tesla and my air suspension. Briefly, I likened my Tesla to a dog scratching his ass. You know, when the ass is plopped on the ground and uses his front legs to drag himself along to scratch his ass. Well, that's how I felt about my Tesla. After MONTHS and MONTHS of being embarrassed with my car dragging its ass out of every single driveway and Tesla constantly telling me "it's within specs" and refusing to do anything about it. I finally got pissed off, went higher up the food chain. In matter of minutes, I received a call back that my car was fixed and ready to pick up. Took them all but a couple of minutes to "re-calibrate the suspension". Car now sits perfectly level. Pissed me off even more that they put me through hell for several months over a 2 blanking minute fix!!!

Anyway, just sharing for anyone that feels their Tesla sags in the back, you can ask for them to "re-calibrate the suspension"

Mine is like this right now. Everything seems to operate properly, but it appears the rear is too low. The first time I asked about it and pointed out the alignment TSB, I asked them to calibrate it. Their response was that they would check the software to be sure it was calibrated and that they didn't need to measure it. I didn't push the issue at the time, but as an engineer I know enough to know that a simple check of the software is probably not enough to be sure all is well - a measurement must be taken. I asked them to measure it according to the TSB, and they said they did and found it to be OK. I figured I had been enough of a squeaky wheel so I left it alone. But when I measured it myself afterward at home, I found the front ride height to be within 2 mm of spec on the front, and about 25 mm too low in the rear.

I am going in this Friday for a second appointment to fix this. I really, really hope they don't fight me on this. There are few things more frustrating than arguing with a service guy about matters like this.

Kenkamm, I feel for you. I really don't understand what the big blanking deal is for them to make such a simple correction to the car. Sadly I had to deal with the same "it's with specs" answer on other issues as well on multiple occasions. I had pointed it out several times previously to them and they wouldn't fix the air suspension and it just continued to get worse. Only now it was dragging out driveways it never had before. Figured this time they had to see there was an issue!?!?. They sent a ranger to pick up the car and his first comment was "wow, that thing really sits low in the back". Yet again, got the same response and they didn't want to fix it. They called and told me the car is ready and I asked if they fixed it. They said no change was necessary. Finally, I got pissed off on the phone with her and said "that's BS. You show me one other car on your lot that has the same measurements as mine and I'll consider picking up the car, otherwise, I am absolutely not picking it up until it's fixed and I'll return your loaner car when it is. I continued saying how ridiculous this company is in not wanted to fix minor issues to keep their customers happy, mentioning that this was the last Tesla I would own. Finally stated, if the car's not fixed, I will be looking into my recourse options as this is just ridiculous" Of course this was all expressed in not the friendliest of voices. After more than 4 service center visits and the CLEARLY sagging in the back (could fit 3 fingers between the fender and tire in front and barely a single finger in the rear). When I first noticed it, I could still get two fingers in the rear with room to spare. Anyway, I normally don't get that way as it takes quite a bit to piss me off, but I was finally fed up with it and rightfully so.

Anyway, just sharing the details of what it took to finally get them to listen. As I unloaded all of my ammo in one round on her, I'm not sure if one particular thing I said triggered her to get it done or just the overall conversation and knowing how much they pissed me off. I would start off by proving you are correct and simply measure it in front of them and compare it to another car on their own lot. Point out that this is not how the car was designed. It's added camber to the rear wheels, wearing out my tires faster. At this rate, the tires will be junk in 4,000 to 5,000 miles. I am respectfully going to ask one more time for you to PLEASE re-calibrate the rear suspension to level the car back out to original specs. You can mention my story and note that it solved the problem in a matter of just a few minutes. If they still refuse, then that's when it will probably be time to get pissed off too. Hopefully it won't come to that if you just sternly request that it be re-calibrated as they've done for their other customers.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you.

What do you mean 'powered up', did you actually power off the car when you left on vacation, or just walk away from it locked?

Pressed the brake pedal to turn the car "on."

I walked away from the car when I went on vacation with the charging cable plugged in.

I have already been in touch with the Rockville SC and this is on the list to be investigated at my October service visit.

I won't get into all the gory details of my experience with Tesla and my air suspension. Briefly, I likened my Tesla to a dog scratching his ass. You know, when the ass is plopped on the ground and uses his front legs to drag himself along to scratch his ass. Well, that's how I felt about my Tesla. After MONTHS and MONTHS of being embarrassed with my car dragging its ass out of every single driveway and Tesla constantly telling me "it's within specs" and refusing to do anything about it. I finally got pissed off, went higher up the food chain. In matter of minutes, I received a call back that my car was fixed and ready to pick up. Took them all but a couple of minutes to "re-calibrate the suspension". Car now sits perfectly level. Pissed me off even more that they put me through hell for several months over a 2 blanking minute fix!!!

Anyway, just sharing for anyone that feels their Tesla sags in the back, you can ask for them to "re-calibrate the suspension"

Tesla has to unfortunately hire from the same pool of buffoons that work at your standard ICE dealership. Knowing more than the local service adviser and/or mechanic is truly frustrating.

From your description I take it that this was a mere calibration issue and nothing was inherently wrong with your rear air suspension system.
Is that a correct statement?

I think you were asking me. Yes, after the calibration, the air suspension has been great. They had instructed me to pick up the car without fixing it. After my tantrum, LOL, they called back within a few minutes and said it's fixed. I went to the service center immediately. Car is now perfectly level and has remained that way. It's been about three months since the re-calibration.

I arrived at the Rockville MD service center an hour ago with 3 complaints:

1) Vibration in rear at about 70 MPH+
2) Rear ride height about an inch too low
3) Faint milling noise

Two techs took the car for a short drive and said they agree the rear ride height looked too low and they would measure and correct it. In addition they said they could hear the milling noise and recorded it and would be sending the data to Tesla for analysis and further instruction. Finally, they will dismount the rear tires and re-balance them for me.

The last time I was in for service, they happily adjusted the rear toe to my requested settings of .1 degree per side. This morning I asked them to restore those settings after changing the ride height, and they said "No can do. It's outside the published specs." I guess it just depends on which tech you talk to. Last time the tech said, "Whatever you want sir."

So they're working on the car now. We'll see how everything turns out.

I arrived at the Rockville MD service center an hour ago with 3 complaints:

1) Vibration in rear at about 70 MPH+
2) Rear ride height about an inch too low
3) Faint milling noise

Two techs took the car for a short drive and said they agree the rear ride height looked too low and they would measure and correct it. In addition they said they could hear the milling noise and recorded it and would be sending the data to Tesla for analysis and further instruction. Finally, they will dismount the rear tires and re-balance them for me.

The last time I was in for service, they happily adjusted the rear toe to my requested settings of .1 degree per side. This morning I asked them to restore those settings after changing the ride height, and they said "No can do. It's outside the published specs." I guess it just depends on which tech you talk to. Last time the tech said, "Whatever you want sir."

So they're working on the car now. We'll see how everything turns out.

I received the same response regarding alignment when I asked for increased castor to the front wheels - they said they can only adjust to Tesla specs.

Well they fixed my vibration issue and my ride height was calibrated again, apparently properly this time! The car looks like it has the proper rake now. They said they measured the rear ride height and found it to be 20mm too low (I had measured 25 with my highly accurate eyeball and tape measure method.) They would not agree to set my alignment specs back to what I asked for. I'll have to throw it up on ramps and adjust it myself, I guess. Where did I put my toe plates...?

Overall I'm pleased because they didn't argue with me about the ride height issue.