Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alas, new problem: Windshield Stress Fracture. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
July 17, 2013. Sitting at a light and I hear a creaking sound. Look toward to lower right of the windshield and watched a crake grow EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE VGER has.

I emailed SC, and got a return email that pending their inspection, and assuming it is a stress fracture they will replace windshield. I did like someone here suggested and rolled a ball-point pen along the crack and no bumps or chips apparent. Still, it makes me nervous as I can't get over to the SC for 2 weeks, and what happens if I DO get a chip close tot the crack - plausible deniability by TM?

July 17, 2013. Sitting at a light and I hear a creaking sound. Look toward to lower right of the windshield and watched a crake grow EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE VGER has.

I emailed SC, and got a return email that pending their inspection, and assuming it is a stress fracture they will replace windshield. I did like someone here suggested and rolled a ball-point pen along the crack and no bumps or chips apparent. Still, it makes me nervous as I can't get over to the SC for 2 weeks, and what happens if I DO get a chip close tot the crack - plausible deniability by TM?

Video rolling the pen over the area should document the problem.

Do we have any feel of how many of these have occurred? I was talking with another S owner at a SC station while charging and he has had two windshields replaced.

This past week, my windshield cracked from bottom of passenger side corner sweeping up in an arc to the top corner. At first, I saw no impact mark, but upon closer inspection (with magnifying glass), I saw 3 impact marks, one directly above the crack. My VIN is relatively early (P01564) so it's an older windshield. But there are impact marks so I am going to have to pay the piper.

I wonder though, if the high stress of the early windshields leave the glass more susceptible to cracking with the smallest impacts (I needed a magnifying glass to see the mark). If that is the case, I hope what is being reported is true, that Tesla has resolved the problem. In any case, the windshield will be replaced by Tesla tomorrow.

Put some tape on it, that should protect it against small external impacts.

Uh oh...

It finally happened to me - stress crack found by my daughter over the weekend.

It started in the bottom right hand corner on the passenger side - spread from there toward the top and another line a few inches above the dash towards the driver's side.

I have emailed Rockville, MD service center but not heard back.

There is no indication of anything hitting the windshield.

Now I'll have to get the tint redone as well. :-(

quragu7a.jpg

I got the fracture a few weeks ago--6000+ miles and 6 months after delivery, and the service station was great about replacing it under warranty. The new windshield they installed, however, is NOT the same windshield that was installed originally on the early production cars. They told me this, and it's apparent in the mirror assembly. I assume this windshield change was made in response to this very problem--don't know. BUT. . .the car is now noticeably louder at highway speeds--sounds a bit like a window is cracked (no pun intended). What I don't know is whether this is a function of the new windshield--it just isn't as quiet as the original for whatever reason--or whether it didn't seal properly when they installed it. Has anyone else who got the "new" windshield noticed more noise at highway speeds?

Out of curiosity, anyone can tell distinctly a potentially problematic windshield just be looking at it? I recall seeing a black MS at Teslive that had some weird whitish outlines towards the outer edge of the windshield that I don't have on my MS.

Uh oh...

It finally happened to me - stress crack found by my daughter over the weekend.

It started in the bottom right hand corner on the passenger side - spread from there toward the top and another line a few inches above the dash towards the driver's side.

I have emailed Rockville, MD service center but not heard back.

There is no indication of anything hitting the windshield.

Now I'll have to get the tint redone as well. :-(

I would make Tesla reimburse you for tint.

You can add me to the list of stress cracked windshields. Tesla was hesitant to cover it under warranty at first, stating that my car (12239) is outside of VIN numbers that they cover and because my crack had a piece missing at the point of origin. They eventually covered it under warranty though.
IMG_0753.JPG

I just got the stress fracture in my car today. Approx 14,000 miles on the car, received it in February and just had it in for the annual service.

It must have happened some time today between my morning commute and lunch.

Sousaphil - just had a crack appear on my windshield on the same day as you here in Phoenix. I'm at 11 months and 10,000 miles. Maybe has something to do with the cooler weather?

:crying:
IMG_1060.JPG

17000 miles - 1 year
freezing temperatures, cracked sometime when I wasn't driving this morning/last night
this morning I did preheat my car for a few minutes and noticed that even with the climate set on floor all of the air was coming out of the defrost vents? 5.8 bug? maybe I need a rest, my internet is broken too..

sorry, car is filthy... I was gone for over a week and it has been crazy windy + cold

- - - Updated - - -

Is this affecting all VINs, or just certain range of #'s? Also what is the longest anyone has had their car before the crack appeared?

me?