TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Album Art over bluetooth not displaying

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by BZM3, Aug 16, 2019.

1. BZM3

BZM3 Member

Very minor problem.. but a bit frustrating as I am listening to music over Bluetooth 90 percent of the time I am driving...

I would say about 70% of the time, the album art doesn't load when playing music/podcasts over Bluetooth. Has anyone else experienced this and have any suggestions on how to improve?

2. Matsayz

Matsayz Member

Same here. I usually play Spotify over Bluetooth so maybe it’s a cell signal issue, not enough to download everything.

3. Airgetlam

Airgetlam Member

I had a brief discussion over mail with the programmer of Overcast regarding, he is also a Tesla owner. He suggests this is a programming choice by Tesla, and has notified them of the issue.

My discussion with him about this was several months ago....I’d recommend that you “bug” it with Tesla as well.

• Like x 1
  4. malou

malou Member

It worked with Spotify for one and a half day when I got the car, then started displaying the wrong album art, then stoped working completely...

5. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

It's never worked the way you'd think it should. Album art doesn't get transferred via bluetooth, although it could. Instead, the car uses one of the free online databases to get the AA from - which depending on what you're listening to, can be a bit hit or miss.

• Informative x 2
  6. focher

focher Member

This is exactly right.

7. malou

malou Member

But I never had premium package where they could load it from? Weird. iOS 13 is supposed to allow them to be transferred through bluetooth apparently.

8. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

I've been running the beta ios13 for a month or so now... in my experience, this isn't happening - although I use it for listening to Sirius and Podcasts.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Active Member

I think it requires the receiving device to support it as well. So Tesla would need to support it on their side as well for this new feature to work. Also requires support from the app, so Sirius, Spotify, etc... would need to support sending the album cover.

• Like x 1
  10. focher

focher Member

The issue isn’t from the device. both iOS and Android support artwork over Bluetooth. It’s Tesla’s software in the car. It doesn’t use the artwork from the phone. It looks up the track online to get the artwork. Sometimes it matches right, often times it matches wrong.

• Like x 1
  11. BZM3

BZM3 Member

Strange choice.. wonder why that is. oh well! I imagine this will be a quick fix one day.

12. newtonfb

newtonfb Member

I would assume ...and hope it's fixed for v10

13. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Source for this?

14. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

Just my personal experience and what I've read here and other tesla forums.

15. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Not entirely convinced this is true, but I'll try and play songs over BT when I'm in a parking garage without signal, and see what happens next time.

FYI, I've had issues where BT music wouldn't display ANY cover art until I rebooted the car.

16. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

I haven't used bluetooth audio for several months, as they've fixed the USB audio system, so I can't guarantee that my observation still stands. And I should reword what I wrote, so that it means what I actually meant - while your phone may be transmitting the AA, the car isn't using that, it's taking the artist and album title from the tag and then looking up the AA from an online database.

17. BZM3

BZM3 Member

Yes, as is the case most of the time for me, it is just the standard grayed out music note. If it's true that they rely on an online database rather than pulling directly off the phone, seems a bit odd and nonsensical.

18. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Think you’re right. I just had a song play completely different artwork (from the single itself) than the actual album artwork my phone displayed.

• Helpful x 1
  19. GypsyItalic

GypsyItalic Member

This has been my experience in every car I’ve ever had a Bluetooth connection and infotainment display so it makes me think it’s more of a tech limitation than a Tesla specific issue.

CarPlay in my old Mazda 3 was really the most consistent I’ve ever experienced with displaying correct album art.

20. focher

focher Member

Artwork is supported over BT. It’s Tesla’s software that doesn’t use it. Don’t be disappointed if it’s not fixed any time soon, including v10, as they haven’t bothered so far.

• Like x 1