Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alcohol OK on Touch Screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all it's winter here and that unfortunately means colds. I was told by my delivery person to use the microfiber cloth and nothing else to clean the touch screen. I now have a cold and don't want to spread germs to my family, so am wondering what can I use to disinfect the touch screen without damaging it.

My initial thought was to put a tiny amount of 70% isopropyl alcohol/ aka rubbing alcohol on the micro-fiber cloth and wipe the screen. Does anyone see any potential issues with this?

This PhD in organic chemistry seems to think it's probably okay with most plastic displays:
Why isopropyl alcohol is best for cleaning electronics displays - iCloth Avionics Wipes

Tesla Owners manual says to use the cloth only, NO cleaners:
"Clean the touchscreen and instrument panel using a soft lint-free cloth specifically designed to clean monitors and displays. Do not use cleaners (such as a glass cleaner)" (page 149)
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

Just got off the phone with Telsa. The support person chatted with her associates and despite thinking this is an important problem (effectively disinfecting the screen). She said she'd never heard the question and didn't have an answer for me, due to the technical service people being out for the holiday weekend. They told me to expect some sort of follow up after the holiday, so I'll let TMC know what I hear.

Now in the "real world" I don't see why a slightly damp disinfectant wipe would hurt. As some say "test it in an inconspicuous place and do so at you own risk". I would use what people use on a computer and peripherals.
That might be okay, but there's also the chance that chemical damage could be slowly progressive in nature, ie crazing or clouding over time, but difficult to detect after a couple uses, so testing in an inconspicuous place might not reveal anything immediately, but after time it could show up as damage.

Last edited:
This applies to any electronics: a cloth lightly dampened with isopropyl alcohol will do the trick. Light enough that it doesn't leave behind any residue after your wipe.

Don't forget about the steering wheel and other control surfaces. Though personally... I wouldn't be too concerned. Unless you're constantly disinfecting everything you touch and breath on, you're not going to be able to stop the virus's spread.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
I used to work on handheld scanners/computers and we cleaned touch screens with isopropyl alcohol all the time. It was some industrial stuff so not sure if it was 70% or purer, but the store bought stuff should be fine. You'd be shocked how often they came in with blue ink pen marks on the touch screens. One came in with an actual nail in the stylus holder...

• Informative
Reactions: SnowFlyer
  • Informative
Reactions: gigglehertz
Had a discussion with a Tesla service rep about and was told that alcohol is fine to use for disinfecting the screen as long as its a applied by spraying on the microfiber towel and wiped on to the screen, but not to spray it directly onto the screen.