Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert for leaving phone (key) in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 BMW X3 had a wireless charging pad in a similar place as the Model Y’s, and if I turned off the ignition and opened the driver's door while my phone was still on the pad, the car would chime incessantly and display a message on the instrument cluster saying something along the lines of “don’t forget your phone”. It was a helpful feature.

Reactions: DriverOne
Buy a key fob

I use the keyfob daily, and don't have my phone-as-key setup (call me old-school). Unfortunately, about 20% of the time the car doesn't detect the keyfob upon approach and I have to physically press the fob to unlock the car. (shows tap to unlock animation on display). I don't know if its a bluetooth issue or fob issue.

Once, at a carwash, I left my keyfob, phone and wallet inside the car and stepped outside for just a few seconds. The door closed due to wind and the car locked itself a few seconds later. I noticed right after it locked and it was too late. I was completely locked out of my car. Had to borrow a helpful stranger's cellphone (difficult during covid!) to look up & call Tesla Roadside Assistance. After they verified my identity, they remote unlocked. The Roadside Assistance agent said maybe the fob was not detected because it was inside the cupholder 🤷‍♂️.

Needless to say, the entire situation was quite embarrassing. :rolleyes: So now, I never step outside the car without the fob in my pocket. Lesson learned!

I might be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, my Audi only beeped if you close the doors and they are locked, essentially locking the car with the keys inside. That’s a near impossibility in a Tesla as you would have to press lock on the touch screen since there is no physical lock switch.

My guess is there is no beep on Tesla’s on walk away is there is no way to tell you have actually walked away if the phone is still in the car. Yes it can tell you are not sitting in the car, but what if the driver gets out of the car and walks to the trunk, or walks around to the passenger side to let your girlfriend or mom in the car? Could it then be timer based? If timer, how long would it have to be without beeping unnecessarily and becoming annoying in those situations? Might someone get far enough away where they don’t hear it?

Might be a simple feature to implement to beep when you leave the car and lock with the keycard and the phone key is still inside...but honestly how often would someone have both setup and use them like that?
My wife's 2020 SQ5 displays (and verbally indicates) there is a phone left in the charger. This would be a simple fix for Tesla. I have forgotten mine a few times, and she walks off and leaves her phone in the passenger side as well from time to time (if I forget to grab it)--this really wouldn't be that hard to implement. Don't overthink it--just a quick message.

Since the car uses the phone as a key and to determine if you're in the car or walking away -- how exactly do you envision the car will know that you left your phone in the car? You'd have to have some other type of sensor or device on yourself for the car to be able to do this. In all the examples of other manufacturers that have this ability with the key left in the vehicle, it comes up when you try to lock the door using the external button on the handle of the car etc. -- there is no such lock button on a Tesla. As someone said just before this, have the walk away lock sound activated and listen for it each time you walk away from your car (and/or look for the folding mirrors) -- that will let you know if you left your phone behind.

I use the keyfob daily, and don't have my phone-as-key setup (call me old-school). Unfortunately, about 20% of the time the car doesn't detect the keyfob upon approach and I have to physically press the fob to unlock the car. (shows tap to unlock animation on display). I don't know if its a bluetooth issue or fob issue.

I was surprised with this as well. I wanted to like the fob, but my phone is far more reliable. FOB sits in my drawer most of the time and only comes out when I am bringing it for service or pan to valet. I expected the opposite.

Tim

Not that difficult. If you open and close the driver door with the phone in the car (as detected by BT) flash the lights and beep the horn.

In case of lockout there should be a fancy door handle routine you can program to pull door/trunk handles to let the car know it's you and unlock ;)

Reactions: sleepydoc
Not that difficult. If you open and close the driver door with the phone in the car (as detected by BT) flash the lights and beep the horn.

In case of lockout there should be a fancy door handle routine you can program to pull door/trunk handles to let the car know it's you and unlock ;)
Well, that's why you carry the key card in your wallet....

In the days before key fobs my Toyota would not let me lock the car with the key in the ignition - that was over 20 years ago.

Reactions: oktane