Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Plaid powertrain is the Pickup powertrain and the standard powertrain going into the S/X and Roadster. I keep going back to Elon's statement about the X being a Faberge Egg, ie expensive to build. Would a SUV version of the Cybertruck take the place the X? It would surely be cheaper to manufacture, higher gross profits, look futuristic and have the CT latest features.

As for the S, they could just replace the battery pack and keep the same body, which is most likely to happen.........................Or a new S will sharing its mechanicals with the Roadster will debut next year with production in 2021. Since we are all guessing.

If there is a "one more thing", it will be a SUV version of the truck.

Reactions: Hank42
Adrian!

Come check out this awesome truck!

On the Waterfront may be a fit for the rest of the industry:
You shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me, just a little bit, so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money...I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.

Reactions: JustMe
The most unbelievable claim about the cyber truck, is that it is supposed to be a better sports car than a Porsche 911. I was absolutely convinced this is impossible, and that Elon really only meant the acceleration. After reading this tweet from 2012, I am now starting to have high hopes that he actually meant what he said.

Twitter

Reactions: ladysbff
The most unbelievable claim about the cyber truck, is that it is supposed to be a better sports car than a Porsche 911. I was absolutely convinced this is impossible, and that Elon really only meant the acceleration. After reading this tweet from 2012, I am now starting to have high hopes that he actually meant what he said.

Twitter

With a low CG because batteries and a long wheelbase, yeah its possible.

Reactions: kbM3
The problem is of course range. Towing large loads with a heavy truck means even with a huge battery your range will be cut in half.

I don't think the Cybertruck is intended for regular large load, long-distance towing. The supercharger stations are not set up for that. And, in terms of pick-up sales, that's far less than half the market (even including pick-ups used for once/year travel trailer towing). I think Tesla is looking at the 30-40% of the market that doesn't need to do that.

It will be more of a rugged utility vehicle.

I just published this article with background and informed speculation on the AC power outlets that could be featured in the Cybertruck.

Tesla plans to innovate AC power outlets on Cybertruck

Tesla’s Cybertruck, set to be unveiled tonight, will push the boundaries on conventional pickup design. One likely innovation will be the number, type, and capability of its AC power outlets.

Tesla has hinted that pricing on the new truck could be targeting the $50,000 price point which would be a challenge with a large truck with a substantial battery pack. What if Tesla could provide over 10,000 Watts of 120 and 240V power at multiple outlets at minimal added cost?

Marco Gaxiola thinks they can. He’s an engineer at GM’s Cruise Automation subsidiary that’s developing a fully automated driving system using Chevrolet Bolt EVs on the streets of San Francisco.

But prior to joining Cruise he worked at another company that did one of the early teardowns of a Tesla Model 3....

I just published this article with background and informed speculation on the AC power outlets that could be featured in the Cybertruck.

Tesla plans to innovate AC power outlets on Cybertruck
I do hope it is correct, but I personally don't see that something that supports 120 VAC to 400VDC @ 48a is guaranteed to support 48a in the opposite direction - generating AC. It's a very different circuit.

From an investor perspective on the Cybertruck, I thought you folks would find it interesting that the truck is attracting interest from non-Tesla owners already.

Spotted this in the CYBRTRK thread:

The real question:
When does the pre-order page go live???
:D
(and can I pre-enter all my CC details even though I own no Tesla vehicles?)

From an investor perspective on the Cybertruck, I thought you folks would find it interesting that the truck is attracting interest from non-Tesla owners already.

Spotted this in the CYBRTRK thread:

I would really not recommend using myself as a non-Tesla (the vehicles) owner data point.
So much TSLA
So many posts
So little fitting in current cars

I would really not recommend using myself as a non-Tesla (the vehicles) owner data point.
So much TSLA
So many posts
So little fitting in current cars

I did notice the massive number of messages to your name, but you're still a data point! Despite your enthusiasm about TSLA, nothing yet has encouraged you yet to buy one of their vehicles. So I think this fills a gap in their offerings that many people will want filled.

I did notice the massive number of messages to your name, but you're still a data point! Despite your enthusiasm about TSLA, nothing yet has encouraged you yet to buy one of their vehicles. So I think this fills a gap in their offerings that many people will want filled.
How much overlap will be there between pickup and X/Y market ? I hope won't wait for Pickup instead of buying X or Y now.

ps : X & Y are actual models, and not variables ;)

Reactions: willow_hiller
It only has occurred to me that this will be a bigger hit than the likes of a Hummer H2, Mercedes G500 4x4 squared, or even possibly Mercedes G-wagon 6x6. Those things were ugly looking boxes on wheels that people with money and silly priorities wanted. Their used market resale values are worth noting.

Another way to look it is at the number of lifted pick up trucks, Ford Raptors, 4Runners, Land Crusiers, heck even the Jeep Gladiators; they are just littering the streets. If Tesla puts a reachable price point, it will sell if the looks are as crazy as it sounds from Elon.