Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people that tow need more than 5K# capacity, especially on a long haul (I would never want to tow anywhere near the upper limit of my vehicle).

Most people don't tow. To the point that the correct vehicle for their needs isn't a F-150, it's not even a Ridgeline, it's an AWD (or even 2WD, a lot of people think they need 4WD and ground clearance when they don't) sedan, like a Model 3 or S.

And, a lot of the F-150's tow rating isn't usable due to low payload ratings on the models that people actually buy (loaded crew cabs) - by the time you've put people and stuff in, your towing is heavily limited by tongue weight, to the point that if you seriously want to tow, you need a F-250 or F-350 to get the payload up.

And, realistically, a BEV pickup with good towing will end up being pushed into the Class 2b or Class 3 territory anyway, as the battery would eat too much payload to be useful in the 8500 lbs GVWR Class 2a unless you can get a lot of weight out of somewhere else. (This is actually worse for pickups than semis, because semis can have better control of airflow over and around them.)

Most people don't tow. To the point that the correct vehicle for their needs isn't a F-150, it's not even a Ridgeline, it's an AWD (or even 2WD, a lot of people think they need 4WD and ground clearance when they don't) sedan, like a Model 3 or S.

And, a lot of the F-150's tow rating isn't usable due to low payload ratings on the models that people actually buy (loaded crew cabs) - by the time you've put people and stuff in, your towing is heavily limited by tongue weight, to the point that if you seriously want to tow, you need a F-250 or F-350 to get the payload up.

And, realistically, a BEV pickup with good towing will end up being pushed into the Class 2b or Class 3 territory anyway, as the battery would eat too much payload to be useful in the 8500 lbs GVWR Class 2a unless you can get a lot of weight out of somewhere else. (This is actually worse for pickups than semis, because semis can have better control of airflow over and around them.)
To your point, I've towed with my Miata! Just keep the weight towards the hitch

• Funny
Reactions: LN1_Casey and JRP3
Not a Ford fan, but your numbers look off. (Unless you are towing an RV or excavator class IV or higher).

2019 F-150 super crew 5.0L long wheelbase 4x4 (lowest capacity wheelbase, non HD* version): 2,080 lb capacity, 3.73 axle ratio towing: 11,600.
Tongue weight should be 10% of load:
Max tongue weightv 1,160 tongue
920 lbs cargo + people. 3x300lbs
6k towing (class 3 hitch max) 600 lbs tongue, 1,480 cargo, 4 people at 370 lbs each.

*HD is 2,410 or 2,640 payload.
Highest super cab non HD 2,260.

Plenty of them are not the longest wheelbase or the 5.0, though - the short wheelbase SuperCrew is the "I really wanted a 1970s sedan".

Payloads for the short wheelbase supercrew 4x4:

High Output 3.5 EcoBoost in Raptor: 1200 lbs
High Output 3.5 EcoBoost in Limited trim: 1270 lbs
3.3 V6: 1680 lbs
2.7 EcoBoost: 1690 lbs
3.0 PowerStroke: 1720 lbs
2.7 EcoBoost with payload package: 1950 lbs
3.5 EcoBoost: 2050 lbs
5.0 V8: 2080 lbs

And, what if you want to put things in the bed in addition to people? After all, you have the bed.

OT
Plenty of them are not the longest wheelbase or the 5.0, though - the short wheelbase SuperCrew is the "I really wanted a 1970s sedan".

And, what if you want to put things in the bed in addition to people? After all, you have the bed.

Well, I'd say picking the smaller engines would make it not a loaded crew cab. Also, people are not typically 300 lbs, so my numbers showed allowable person + cargo weight. With 2 people (or parents with kids), there is a lot of capacity for cargo in the bed.

1680 - 500 tongue = 1180, 3 people at 200lbs = 580 lbs of cargo.

Which isn't to say the small engine super cab doesn't have it's place. Handy if you Scuba or do home projects on the weekends when you aren't commuting to work.

What the payload capacity of the 3? S? X? Around 1100#?

Perhaps many folks don’t tow. I do and have needed a tow-capable vehicle for the past 20 years. Biggest mistake was thinking the Honda Pilot, with a #4500 towing capacity, would work. Heck, the boat ramp I use most often is a shallow slope, I almost need to back in where my rear tires are almost under water completely. If I used an X or a 3, chances are water would pour into the car.

If we’re talking purchasing a vehicle capable of towing and carrying “stuff,” - it’s rather clear that the best vehicle (currently) isn’t a 3, or an X.

With the 3.5L ecoboost, I’d be able to carry 5 adults, 300+ pounds of gear, and pull a 7500# wakeboard boat. none of the other vehicles discussed comes close.

And don’t get me wrong, I want one of the Tesla’s to work for me. We ordered a Y, and I test drove an X, ended up keeping it overnight. I want to replace my Tundra with the X. For my extended test drive, they wouldn’t let me try to tow with it.

So - I’m not arguing for argument’s sake. I’m hoping the Tesla truck can tow 5-7000# and has sufficient clearance for me to back my boat in the water. Or the Ford BEV F-150or the New Ford BEV SUV, or something else . . .

Youtube channel interviews an Australian company that remanufactures brand new RAM and Silverado trucks plus Camaros for the Australian RHD market. At over twice the American price they sell 400 RAMs per month and half that number of Silverados. Up till now thave been selling 2500 and 3500 but will sell 1500 soon.

Imagine Cybertruck at only 10% premium over the American price?

• Informative
Reactions: Don TLR
My numbers for Cybertruck:
460 mile range
10 ton towing capacity
0-60 2.5 seconds.
Truck is very large, huge tires, diameter 73" (close to one meter), wire width 13.5".
Airless tires. Headlights also work as work light.
Tesla probably will sell millions of this truck in long term.
Top end $100k. Base $50k.
Not sure sure if serious......o_O especially the tire size and 0-60

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
Truck is very large, huge tires, diameter 73" (close to one meter), wire width 13.5".
Not sure sure if serious......o_O especially the tire size and 0-60

Think there was a conversion / typo issue there.
1 meter is 39 inches, @TradingInvest did you mean 37 inches?.

I'm not a fan of the airless tires designs I've seen.

Can't wait for the Cybrtrk reveal. Finally no more Mach-E talk :rolleyes:

Spotted a reference to this vehicle on a Fox article; first possibility I have seen which would fit the cyberpunk/bulletproof/APC remit with good aesthetic, crazy looking but also macho/aggressive and cool and it has that sharp sloping windshield. It is called a Carmor Mantis APC

maxresdefault.jpg
85397530991489640360no.jpg

My numbers for Cybertruck:
460 mile range
10 ton towing capacity
0-60 2.5 seconds.
Tesla probably will sell millions of this truck in long term.
Top end $100k. Base $50k.

I'm not sure if you are serious, but what does a truck with these specs weigh? What is the battery size?

An off-road truck needs to be able to reduce tire pressure.

It just dawned on me that every 6'5" and above sports figure in the United States will be interested in this as their daily driver. That's good press right there.

Yeah, I can easily see this being the next "it" vehicle, just like stars and sports figures catapulted the Cadillac Escalade to "must have" status. Especially since I expecting this to be production constrained in the beginning.

It just dawned on me that every 6'5" and above sports figure in the United States will be interested in this as their daily driver. That's good press right there.

Me too!
I'm 6'8", can't jump, and fit in the 3, but visibility is poor. The X would be usable if the seat were designed differently: however, the headrest doesn't move high enough and digs into my shoulders. Hopefully the pickup has taller/ more adjustable/ less contoured seating.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger