Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does a fifth wheel hitch fit in that bed? Can you turn 90 degrees with the fifth wheel camper without hitting the sides of the bed?

Not even. The sides are simply too high and I don't see how you'd get a fifth wheel hitch mounted in the bed due to the battery. Even with a Superglide, you wouldn't be able to make any kind of turn.

Even if you could swap out the bed for a cargo / flat bed option, we'd have to see the frame in order to try to mount a fifth wheel there, and I don't think they're going to go with giving us that much room - plus we normally go under the bed to get to the frame and in this case, the battery is in the way so it would have to come prepped from the factory.

I think we're stuck with 2" hitches and ball joints. And weight distributing hitches, hopefully.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Look at a shot of it on the road in the distance, it looks better... so possibly a few minor tweaks can improve the aesthetics..

If they can't change the shape perhaps paint can do the trick...
Stainless steel is hard to paint, and it defeats the purpose of having an unpainted surface which doesn't get scratched, and eliminates the entire painting process, speeding up and lowering the cost of manufacturing.

They said it has a hard exoskeleton.. so perhaps that material isn't easy to shape..but they could stick on some trim pieces, it is shipping late 2021 .. so I think they can add trim... but not make major redesign changes in that time-frame..
Again, why try and complicate/add cost to the design and manufacturing? Plenty of people will buy it as is.

"Jumping the shark is the moment when something that was once popular makes an attempt at publicity, which only serves to highlight its irrelevance. Originally, the phrase was used to describe an episode of a television comedy with a gimmick or unlikely occurrence desperately attempting to keep viewers' interest. Moments labeled as "jumping the shark" are considered indications that writers have exhausted their focus; that the show has strayed irretrievably from an older and better formula; or that the series as a whole is declining in quality. The usage of "jump the shark" has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, franchise, or creative effort's evolution declines, or when it changes notably in style into something unwelcome."

Hope I'm wrong.
Robin

Motortrend had an interesting take on the truck
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing/

If the Cybertruck is a shock to the eyes, it's a jump-start to reimagining the foundational assumptions about vehicle appearance, engineering, and manufacturing. Remember Elon Musk's plans to leapfrog car assembly with a high-speed, robotic, alien dreadnaught "machine-that-builds-the-machine" that would fire-hose Model 3s out its tailpipe? He had to sheepishly remove some of the robots and conveyor belts to speed things up. Now, the "machines-that-will-build" the Cybertruck will go dramatically skinnier, scaling the dreadnaught down to simple dinghies that groove and bend (with the $200 million paint shop getting an auditor's line drawn through it). Real progress is assembled from the debris of failures.

Last edited:
Motortrend had an interesting take on the truck
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing/

If the Cybertruck is a shock to the eyes, it's a jump-start to reimagining the foundational assumptions about vehicle appearance, engineering, and manufacturing. Remember Elon Musk's plans to leapfrog car assembly with a high-speed, robotic, alien dreadnaught "machine-that-builds-the-machine" that would fire-hose Model 3s out its tailpipe? He had to sheepishly remove some of the robots and conveyor belts to speed things up. Now, the "machines-that-will-build" the Cybertruck will go dramatically skinnier, scaling the dreadnaught down to simple dinghies that groove and bend (with the $200 million paint shop getting an auditor's line drawn through it). Real progress is assembled from the debris of failures.
Duplication of post number 290

Really? Wow, thanks. Fantastic.

Of course he didn't say when they would build it, and schedules are where I trust Tesla least...but it is heartening that he said they will build it. Perhaps necessary given that existing products won't work with the Cybertruck's shape.

I went ahead and put down a deposit on the truck, given that the camping accessory is supposedly coming. Of course we'll take a look at the accessory's pricing and availability in a couple of years before actually placing the order...

Last edited: