Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would guess we are around 100k reservations. Of these probably only 50k will convert. But this car will need some time to be processed and a lot of the market are not TMC-readers but ICE-guys. Give it a few weeks for the conversations to happens, for the design to sink in and for the specs to be understood. The Cybertrk is super compelling with regards to total cost of ownership. With it expect that the second hand market for ICE-trucks will plummet, making it even better.

Sure it’s not for everyone today. But in the end of 2022, when today’s reservations have been worked through, it’s a totally different world. A lot more Model 3s on the road, many Model Y on the road, Roadster2 killing records, Plaid Model S test drives, a lot more superchargers, a lot more non Tesla chargers from VW, Ford, Ionity etc. Semis on the roads hauling heavy loads. More non Tesla BEV-ads everywhere. And by then the ICE-truckers will have had a chance to see it in person. This is the car they are selling, not what we see today.

I am thinking production targets of >200k cybertrks for 2022.

I think the market may be smaller, but I admire positive thinking when many are being unnecessarily negative.

I think the aesthetics are challenging and can evoke an emotional rather than a rational response..

The design is rational and elegant from an engineering and cost perspective, it probably can't be more rational.

I see the market as 50K-100K in 2022 but slowly growing and very easy for Tesla spin up additional production as needed in a capital efficient way.

Overtime people will develop more accessories to leverage the longevity and efficiency of this model...

Personally I think we need a row of trolleys that respond to a summon like app on a smart phone, roll out of the central corridor on site, and go wherever their owner tells them .... hopefully without going through any walls :) And they have to be able to platoon like baby ducks...

Here is an idea. Form a car company that will change the world. Make electric vehicles that look like a stylish ICE car, or even close to it.

Sell a lot of them, gain a loyal if sometimes mistreated following. Make money before anyone thinks you actually will. Then....

Let your ego get totally in the way, and make a pickup truck, pickup truck buyers are to my inexperienced marketing eye the most conservative and least likely of your early adopters, that is completely what a science fiction writer in the 60's would have a truck of the future look like.

Wonder why people are not flocking to them. Or....

Set your ego aside, make a truck that looks pretty much like any other truck but has all the cool things that make a Tesla a Tesla, stack the floor with batteries.

Wonder how you are ever going to fill the demand.

Just saying.

Mark my word, very likely 200,000+ truck orders in the first 24 hours. It's a great truck/SUV at a great price. Some people will love it right away, others will switch slowly. In the long run they will sell millions.

Last edited:
Mark my word, very likely 200,000+ truck orders in the first 24 hours. It's a great truck/SUV at a great price. Some people will love it right away, others will switch slowly. In the long run they will sell millions.

A dedicated SUV form with the same sort of stainless exoskeleton could probably be done much more elegantly.

Really hard to predict what sort of volume this model will see. With the change in reservation terms from the old, larger deposit. It might be hard even for Tesla to predict it right. I wonder what volume they used to make the price targets?

I was just about to say the opposite. Short interest was almost 60% today!!! What the hell do they need to dump that many shares on a day when it should tank itself. Looks more to me like there was not much fall out at all except for the shorts making it look like a lot. That's impressive.

I was seriously expecting to see short interest down in the mid 30s today because people didn't like the truck. I am not real impressed with it but I didn't sell any TSLA. There will be plenty of Posers and Bro-mobile owners buying this thing.

I didn't sell any of mine, either, but if I really thought that the James Bond/Bladerunner talk was serious I would have shorted myself for a day. The stock went down what, 7% today? No other news, just the truck. I did post that I thought it was going to be bad for the stock, so I'm not doing revisionist history. If you or I or anyone else can do 7% a day they can call us Sir Mister Buffett:)

I didn't sell any of mine, either, but if I really thought that the James Bond/Bladerunner talk was serious I would have shorted myself for a day. The stock went down what, 7% today? No other news, just the truck. I did post that I thought it was going to be bad for the stock, so I'm not doing revisionist history. If you or I or anyone else can do 7% a day they can call us Sir Mister Buffett:)
That's the thing and the only reason I disagreed with the idea that it was all about the weak longs jumping ship. Most Longs are holding no matter what.... so we didn't sell. All the weak longs actually bailed the day before to take profits and jump back in later.

I think... and this is only opinion so all are welcome to disagree... the drop was a result of an appearance of weakness so day traders and manipulators want to take FULL advantage of it. Yah those people that loaded up on the short prior to the event and the day trading longs that sold and want a lower reentry point ALL used Friday to get the price down to a buy level they want for Monday (or if Macro says different Tues or WED). They don't care. They are out now and want back in at the lowest price they can push it down to. If it turns quickly, they come back in quickly.

This video is good:-

He has sold me off the off-road capability.

He looks at the off road capability based on a spec sheet for stock vehicles and really only compares ground clearance and approach/departure angles. I'm sure you'll be able to drive the cyber truck off road but a good off road vehicle is the sum of all it's parts and there are key missing pieces such as the practical breakover angle (long wheel base can make this poor) and the performance of the speed control system. Ordinarily AWD would not compete with 4x4 but it's possible an electric AWD can offer the low end torque and descent control to compare favorably. I think you need to see some field tests before giving it too much off-road credit.

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ
This car is going viral in so many ways! Elon must hurry up with his battery plans!

Love this one:

BackToTheCybertruck.png

There will be plenty of Posers and Bro-mobile owners buying this thing.

Ummm, buying something with superior specs at a better price is the opposite of a poser.

It is the people who continue buying F150 et. al. in spite of higher running costs, less functionality, less durability, less tech... just because they need to conform, who are the “posers”.

I wonder if they designed the Cybertruck to use the single casting from the huge casting machine?

If it was cast it could be any shape....

This is folded like Origami, I am hoping it will be folded from a single sheet of metal.... but that is a very optimistic point of view...

To be clear the prototype wasn't made that way, they need a new machine, or a number of machines for this process.

Reactions: davepsilon
It appears by heating stainless it can be many different colors and they look pretty cool. I really wish they would have spent more time on the reveal.... but I guess they are getting the pre-orders so what do they care. The stock will tank for just a short time.... if not bounce right back up Monday.
I think the 730 degrees is matte black.
I like the blues a lot.
650 is a teal I think.

I don't know what this does when welded it though. I wonder if you can put it all together and then put the body in white through a special oven. Could make for some really cool color outcomes. It might be a feature that no truck is exactly the same color except silver and black.

Think about a water-color mix between the last four.
or a mix water-color mix of 3 through 6.

(edit... Google: heated stainless artwork )

They could be like works of art where people send them to stainless artists who take torches to them and create mosaics.
heat tempered stainless.jpg

Last edited:
It appears by heating stainless it can be many different colors and they look pretty cool. I really wish they would have spent more time on the reveal.... but I guess they are getting the pre-orders so what do they care. The stock will tank for just a short time.... if not bounce right back up Monday.
I like the blues a lot.
650 is a teal I think.

I don't know what this does when welded it though. I wonder if you can put it all together and then put the body in white through a special oven. Could make for some really cool color outcomes. It might be a feature that no truck is exactly the same color except silver and black.

They could be like works of art where people send them to stainless artists who take torches to them and create mosaics.
View attachment 480930
Holy crap, that is f-in awesome.

Reactions: Sudre
I like the blues a lot.
650 is a teal I think.

View attachment 480930

Those temperatures might mess up the properties of the cold rolled stainless steel.

I like the blues a lot.
650 is a teal I think.

View attachment 480930
Trying to repair these colors would be tough. The welds won’t be the same color. I’m thinking a wrap of you want color.

Reactions: mongo