Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you think there won't be a strong demand for this vehicle then yes, you're wrong.
First, while I do think there will be demand, at the end of the day this design seems very much a niche effort; one that will not put too many new demands on an already stressed manufacturing/sales/service operation. Maybe that was the point.
Second, I see it as an example of what happens when the public is invited inside the Elon Distortion Field. An armored personnel carrier from the future! It's an interesting place to visit, no doubt. But I'm not seeing it as somewhere lot of truck buyers want to spend time, or dollars.
Finally, I'm really struggling to see what role a terrific designer like Franz von Holzhausen had in this thing. Be interesting to know.
Robin

Not even. The sides are simply too high and I don't see how you'd get a fifth wheel hitch mounted in the bed due to the battery. Even with a Superglide, you wouldn't be able to make any kind of turn.

Even if you could swap out the bed for a cargo / flat bed option, we'd have to see the frame in order to try to mount a fifth wheel there, and I don't think they're going to go with giving us that much room - plus we normally go under the bed to get to the frame and in this case, the battery is in the way so it would have to come prepped from the factory.

I think we're stuck with 2" hitches and ball joints. And weight distributing hitches, hopefully.

I wonder if Superglide makes (would make?) an extra long and extra high unit, would that work? On highways drop the suspension down to 8" (from 12") to give more room for the sides?

Has anyone mentioned the new Trailer Docking Autopilot feature, yet? I wonder how that will work.

Screenshot from 2019-11-22 12-44-22.png

Initially I was very put off by the looks. But the specs and price are quite compelling. There is a lot of neat functionality such as power outlets and a ramp/lift gate. So I am thinking this may replace my Volt (our towing vehicle) in a few years to be ALL electric.

Reactions: kbM3
If the truck reveal did anything for me, it's to push me towards a Rivian, if I go EV for my next truck. The primary problem with the Tesla truck is that it favors acceleration over range and that bed looks utterly impractical.

I don't want a truck that goes 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. I want a truck that will have a real world range of at least 500 miles. To get that, I'd have to go with the 3 motor version, and that has a base price of $70,000. For that price, I could get a dang Raptor. I just priced out an F150 with the features I'd want (XLT with the FX4 off road package and the reliable, powerful 5.0 V8), and even with most of the options ticked, the price is still under $40,000.

I understand that there will be less maintenance and fuel costs for the EV truck, but there will also be a lot of downsides as well, like difficulty in finding a way to charge the thing when I'm using it as I use any truck (off road and far from any urban area).

For example, my hunting cabin is in central Montana, an area that is mostly forest and ranchland, where I can get gas or diesel in even the smallest little town on the way (e.g., Wilsall). A 500 mile range would be enough for me, but I'm not spending $70,000 on a truck (let alone one a base model one). The one that is comparable in price to an F150 has an ideal range of only 250 miles, and if that is anything like the similar rated range I had for my Model S's, it will end up being closer to 180 miles range, which would get me part way to the cabin and then I'd be stuck.

Maybe once the truck gets closer to production they will resolve some of the deal-killing problems from the prototype, but I don't see a Tesla truck in my future at this point (and unless the Rivian's actual price drops significantly, nor do I see a Rivian in my future).

If the truck reveal did anything for me, it's to push me towards a Rivian, if I go EV for my next truck. The primary problem with the Tesla truck is that it favors acceleration over range and that bed looks utterly impractical.

I don't want a truck that goes 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. I want a truck that will have a real world range of at least 500 miles. To get that, I'd have to go with the 3 motor version, and that has a base price of $70,000. For that price, I could get a dang Raptor. I just priced out an F150 with the features I'd want (XLT with the FX4 off road package and the reliable, powerful 5.0 V8), and even with most of the options ticked, the price is still under $40,000.

I understand that there will be less maintenance and fuel costs for the EV truck, but there will also be a lot of downsides as well, like difficulty in finding a way to charge the thing when I'm using it as I use any truck (off road and far from any urban area).

For example, my hunting cabin is in central Montana, an area that is mostly forest and ranchland, where I can get gas or diesel in even the smallest little town on the way (e.g., Wilsall). A 500 mile range would be enough for me, but I'm not spending $70,000 on a truck (let alone one a base model one). The one that is comparable in price to an F150 has an ideal range of only 250 miles, and if that is anything like the similar rated range I had for my Model S's, it will end up being closer to 180 miles range, which would get me part way to the cabin and then I'd be stuck.

Maybe once the truck gets closer to production they will resolve some of the deal-killing problems from the prototype, but I don't see a Tesla truck in my future at this point (and unless the Rivian's actual price drops significantly, nor do I see a Rivian in my future).
Would this help?

Elon Musk on Twitter

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and mspohr

I don't want a truck that goes 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. I want a truck that will have a real world range of at least 500 miles.
For range you need a large battery pack, if you have a large battery pack you get fast 0-60 times. It's not one or the other. Also, what do you think the Rivian with 500 miles is going to cost? It's going to cost more than the Tesla since it will need a larger battery pack to achieve the same range because it's less aerodynamic.

• Informative
Reactions: sparcs

Not even close. The problem would be where the solar panels are stored when the truck is being driven. For close to half the year I have a snowmobile and ramp in the bed, and if I'm successful hunting there will be a deer or elk in there as well. In the cab, I keep all of my gear and things that need to be kept from the elements. Unless the body of the truck is the solar panel (which would be pretty interesting, since taking a truck off road often results in a lot of surface scratching/damage to the body panels), it would mean I can't carry anything in the bed.

I wonder if Superglide makes (would make?) an extra long and extra high unit, would that work? On highways drop the suspension down to 8" (from 12") to give more room for the sides?

That actually could work. If it's a short base like the Model X, then extending the mount options backwards could reduce the load rating ability to what we would see on a tow ball

A gooseneck connector could be a better choice, giving more clearance compared to a fifth wheel, but the travel trailers are mostly fifth wheel style hitches. For serious haulers, they usually just go with a real truck (450/4500 or 550/5500 series), same as hotshot'rs - and I think this is directly aimed at the consumer and pro-sumer markets.

Heading home from work yesterday, I was debating whether I really wanted to put down $$$ on a new vehicle where I would be worried about scratching it up. Plus wondering how hard it would be to pick a color. Last night, while waiting, wife and I watched a documentary about the Model S launch/ Fremont factory and she commented she really liked the unpainted aluminum color and asked if that was an option.

So imagine how geeked we were when the unpainted stainless steel Cybertruck rolled on stage.

Nope, more than that.
Craig Would Be So Happy

Plus, the roof cross car beam is exactly where my head isn't. Cuddle seat in the middle. Included power bed cover.
So much want!

Today the stock market says.
I was just about to say the opposite. Short interest was almost 60% today!!! What the hell do they need to dump that many shares on a day when it should tank itself. Looks more to me like there was not much fall out at all except for the shorts making it look like a lot. That's impressive.

I was seriously expecting to see short interest down in the mid 30s today because people didn't like the truck. I am not real impressed with it but I didn't sell any TSLA. There will be plenty of Posers and Bro-mobile owners buying this thing.

I'm thinking the investor question here isn't whether the cybertruck will take 1/3rd of the US market (500k/year) that will probably be mostly at the expense of the current big 3.

The investor question is whether this will sell in enough unit volume to be profitable for Tesla, while providing a yardstick against which every other electric truck will be measured (and for other makers to aspire to). From the Model 3, I expect that's about 100k/year. That's something like 6-7% marketshare in the US (based on an annual volume of 1.5M/year).

From what I'm seeing in people's reactions, I think 100k units/year is easy peasey. I think it's clearly way more than 10-20k units/year, even once the initial demand is satisfied and we find out what steady state production looks like.

This doesn't address the question of supply - will Tesla have the packs and motors to supply 100k/year (I assume yes given the timing they've picked). And of course, it'd be nice if this turned into 500k/year. But if the other truck makers get on the stick with their truck EV programs, my guess is that EV trucks are pretty quickly going to push gas burning trucks into niche markets - the existing makers will cannibalize themselves (whether they want to or not).

And if they don't get busy with the cannibalization of their fossil fuel vehicles, they're going to create a ramp opportunity for Tesla to bring a more conventional truck style to market (if desired) to pair with cybertruck and eat the whole market.

Carrot and stick. Looks to me like Tesla has both, and will be generating net positive profits when this comes to market in a couple years.

(and now for a decision - do I go order now, or just wait for it to come to market and order then? So far, my experience with reserving early is that it hasn't really made a difference in my family when we end up with the reserved item.)

I'm thinking the investor question here isn't whether the cybertruck will take 1/3rd of the US market (500k/year) that will probably be mostly at the expense of the current big 3.

The investor question is whether this will sell in enough unit volume to be profitable for Tesla, while providing a yardstick against which every other electric truck will be measured (and for other makers to aspire to). From the Model 3, I expect that's about 100k/year. That's something like 6-7% marketshare in the US (based on an annual volume of 1.5M/year).

From what I'm seeing in people's reactions, I think 100k units/year is easy peasey. I think it's clearly way more than 10-20k units/year, even once the initial demand is satisfied and we find out what steady state production looks like.

This doesn't address the question of supply - will Tesla have the packs and motors to supply 100k/year (I assume yes given the timing they've picked). And of course, it'd be nice if this turned into 500k/year. But if the other truck makers get on the stick with their truck EV programs, my guess is that EV trucks are pretty quickly going to push gas burning trucks into niche markets - the existing makers will cannibalize themselves (whether they want to or not).

And if they don't get busy with the cannibalization of their fossil fuel vehicles, they're going to create a ramp opportunity for Tesla to bring a more conventional truck style to market (if desired) to pair with cybertruck and eat the whole market.

Carrot and stick. Looks to me like Tesla has both, and will be generating net positive profits when this comes to market in a couple years.

(and now for a decision - do I go order now, or just wait for it to come to market and order then? So far, my experience with reserving early is that it hasn't really made a difference in my family when we end up with the reserved item.)

We need to keep in mind this is Tesla's first effort at a truck, and the specs and price are compelling..

The looks may grow on some people when the realise it could last 20-50 years... no rust .. provided the motors and battery last .. air suspension is the thing most likely to cause problems..

At this stage it isn't going to suit all people/applications, it will be excellent for some commercial uses and totally unsuitable for others.
It will be excellent for some recreational uses and not suitable for others...

If it suits a customers needs and budget, the only remaining question is the look.

Reactions: EVCollies
I would guess we are around 100k reservations. Of these probably only 50k will convert. But this car will need some time to be processed and a lot of the market are not TMC-readers but ICE-guys. Give it a few weeks for the conversations to happens, for the design to sink in and for the specs to be understood. The Cybertrk is super compelling with regards to total cost of ownership. With it expect that the second hand market for ICE-trucks will plummet, making it even better.

Sure it’s not for everyone today. But in the end of 2022, when today’s reservations have been worked through, it’s a totally different world. A lot more Model 3s on the road, many Model Y on the road, Roadster2 killing records, Plaid Model S test drives, a lot more superchargers, a lot more non Tesla chargers from VW, Ford, Ionity etc. Semis on the roads hauling heavy loads. More non Tesla BEV-ads everywhere. And by then the ICE-truckers will have had a chance to see it in person. This is the car they are selling, not what we see today.

I am thinking production targets of >200k cybertrks for 2022.