Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, generator is a different beast entirely. However, PW shouldn't blow up a genset assuming it knows it's a genset (versus stable 60Hz grid). Highly dependant on the unit quality though.
My point is that the Cybertruck maybe charging off of a generator and have no way of knowing. So, it can't risk back-feeding power while charging. (Using the onboard charger to supplement the EVSE connection to power the on-board outlets.)

My point is that the Cybertruck maybe charging off of a generator and have no way of knowing. So, it can't risk back-feeding power while charging. (Using the onboard charger to supplement the EVSE connection to power the on-board outlets.)
We're off in the weeds since neither of us think the Cybertruck only has one AC bus.

Cybertruck shouldn't be exporting into the grid, it requires the UWC to tell it that export is ok (same with outlet box). To implement the common AC bus, it would link frequency to the charge port and limit current flow there to inbound. It's theoretically doable, but not worth the hassle, especially if one considers 120V changing...

It is a standard full size bed that fits a standard sheet of plywood with the tailgate down.

The frunk is small. Two overhead luggage pieces and a bit more.

Unlike most full size pickups, the CT will fit in most American garages.
Agreed.

While it's not the bed that was originally touted, in usable space, it's as big or bigger than the F150, depending on where you are measuring.

Certainly bigger than the Rivian. I think some were thinking it would still be a 6'5" bed, but that's been officially off the table for a while now.

Reactions: madodel
It is a standard full size bed that fits a standard sheet of plywood with the tailgate down.

The frunk is small. Two overhead luggage pieces and a bit more.

Unlike most full size pickups, the CT will fit in most American garages.
Yes, tailgate down is not my concern nor really how most people use work trucks. We keep oils, hoses (hydraulics), saws, etc in the trunk, tailgate is not down. In fact the opposite, I never dropped the tailgate on my f350 the last year owning it. I only drop the Ford Lightning because I'm getting older and some hernias are flaring up, have to get surgery in year or so.

Anyway, I am glad for everyone that has one on order that it's out and the fact that it fits in the garage is important, really is. That ability to charge in a garage is super . I charge outside but then I live on a farm so no worries, not everyone has that luxury.

One small error is that he says there are 1366 4680 cells.

1366 only factors into 2 and 683, a prime number which doesn't support the parallel x series groupings needed.
Agree 1366 doesn't work at all. I think it's simply the assumed 123 kWh divided by an assumed 90 Wh/cell.

1376 would yeild 2 packs of 86 * 8 which is similar to the 4680 Y 69x12 config (less parallel is needed when you have more series).
Why 2 packs? Drew B says the pack splits in half for Supercharging at 400V.
86S would only be ~318V nominal. I don't see them calling 2*318V an 800V pack. Tesla historically used 96S in nickel packs, but Plaid uses 110S (407V nominal) and 4680-Y was 92S (340V nominal). I'd expect this to be close to 100S. I can't really think of a good 1376-ish number that works.

I didn't mean to imply that the PMC has anything active (maybe gfci). I think CT sends AC out its charger.

I finally realized what you were saying is that you thought CT has a bidirectional charger which is how it can economically output 11.5 kW AC without needing a separate inverter in addition to the 9.6 kW one it has for the 240V receptacle.

Hopefully this means Tesla will start adding such a bidirectional charger to the rest of their product line.

Now I’m wondering how the PowerShare Mobile Connector differs from the Mobile Connector. At the very least it must have some safe way of delivering power to some universal receptacle setup. Can’t wait to see it.

Reactions: mongo and MP3Mike
Now I’m wondering how the PowerShare Mobile Connector differs from the Mobile Connector. At the very least it must have some safe way of delivering power to some universal receptacle setup. Can’t wait to see it.
I assume it is opposite of the normal Mobile Connector. Instead of having plug adapters you have outlet adapters.

They say you need the Powershare Mobile Connector and Outlet adapters. So I assume it has a fixed cable on it with a NACS plug that you plug into the Cybertruck, and then you buy the outlet adapter that you need to plug in to the other side. Maybe NEMA 5-20 up to NEMA 14-30? (They say up to 32A out, so maybe a 14-50 limited to 32A?) Or maybe the 32A "outlet" is actually a J1772, or NACS, plug to act as an EVSE and charge another EV?

It would be nice if it was bidirectional and switched modes based on the adapter, plug vs. outlet, that was plugged in to it. (And shared the existing GEN2 Mobile Connector adapters.)

I assume it is opposite of the normal Mobile Connector. Instead of having plug adapters you have outlet adapters.

They say you need the Powershare Mobile Connector and Outlet adapters. So I assume it has a fixed cable on it with a NACS plug that you plug into the Cybertruck, and then you buy the outlet adapter that you need to plug in to the other side. Maybe NEMA 5-20 up to NEMA 14-30? (They say up to 32A out, so maybe a 14-50 limited to 32A?)

Yeah, something like that. As you say, receptacle adapters instead of plug adapters. It will need one major thing that the Mobile Connector doesn't have and that's an autotransformer or something like that to generate a neutral output. The MC doesn't have any neutral input since it doesn't need it, but if you are outputting a 14-30 or a 14-50 receptacle, you'd need something to generate a neutral in addition to providing 240V.

OR, the PMC would only have adapters for 120V receptacles and pure 240V receptacles and no mixed 120/240V. So NEMA 5-20, and a 6-50.

Or maybe the 32A "outlet" is actually a J1772, or NACS, plug to act as an EVSE and charge another EV?

That would be ... interesting.

It would be nice if it was bidirectional and switched modes based on the adapter, plug vs. outlet, that was plugged in to it. (And shared the existing GEN2 Mobile Connector adapters.)

That would be way cool. And if you did actually do that, then maybe you could do your NACS output option since you'd have the electronics in the PMC for it (although turned around, nothing a few relays couldn't handle).

Reactions: MP3Mike
86S would only be ~318V nominal. I don't see them calling 2*318V an 800V pack. Tesla historically used 96S in nickel packs, but Plaid uses 110S (407V nominal) and 4680-Y was 92S (340V nominal). I'd expect this to be close to 100S. I can't really think of a good 1376-ish number that works.
Yeah, it's lower voltage than I would expect. My Google refreshed memory was feeding me 69*12=828 for the Y verses 92x9 = 828 so it seemed plausible.
Once we start changing multiple digits, there are a lot of options!
Like 1344, which allows 4 submodules per subpack, 2x4x24x7, each half pack = 2x96x7

Yeah, it's lower voltage than I would expect. My Google refreshed memory was feeding me 69*12=828 for the Y verses 92x9 = 828 so it seemed plausible.
Yesh, 4680 Y pack is assembled with 12 bandoliers aka "megaliers". Each has 34 cells on one side and 35 on the other, for 69 total. But that's apparently not how it's wired up. Just as the original 85 kWh Model S had 16 modules of 444 cells each, but was not 444S16P or 16S444P. Each module was 6S74P then the modules were wired in series to make 96S74P.

IIRC the Y bandoliers were each 23S3P. They then divided the 12 bandoliers into 3 parallel strings, with each string being 92S3P and the whole pack being 92S9P. I don't remember which teardown video talked about this, though.

Yesh, 4680 Y pack is assembled with 12 bandoliers aka "megaliers". Each has 34 cells on one side and 35 on the other, for 69 total. But that's apparently not how it's wired up. Just as the original 85 kWh Model S had 16 modules of 444 cells each, but was not 444S16P or 16S444P. Each module was 6S74P then the modules were wired in series to make 96S74P.

IIRC the Y bandoliers were each 23S3P. They then divided the 12 bandoliers into 3 parallel strings, with each string being 92S3P and the whole pack being 92S9P. I don't remember which teardown video talked about this, though.
Right, I never thought the bandoliers were electrical units. I just relied on the wrong sources when looking for comparison data instead of searching TMC for my previous posts.

The Jason talk said the pack is four 200V modules
200V is around 50 cells
4x48x7 = 1,344 and 201.6 V @ 4.2 (x4)

Oh!, Maybe 1,366 includes the low voltage battery?
1366 = 1344 + 22
22 = 11S x 2P
11 * 4.2=46.2V

Biggest takeaway for me is that the battery/4680 tech just isn't there after more than 3 years.

Pretty obvious they unveiled three new products based on theoretical yields from new batteries - the Semi, 620+ mile Roadster, and 500+ mile range CT. It's obviously gone on long enough that they have to start delivering *something* (sorry, Roadster reservation holders).

All of the gains from Battery Day 2020 aren't coming to fruition.