Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It clearly existed at one point in 2022 (with 20” tires of some form) but I see it no longer. I could just be extraordinarily dumb.

I see 328. R1T Quad 21” Road. Not sure what I am missing.
View attachment 1005932

I used an old bookmark before I posted and it showed 314 miles of range.

Went back right now to get a screen shot and it shows as 328 miles of range.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
I used an old bookmark before I posted and it showed 314 miles of range.

Went back right now to get a screen shot and it shows as 328 miles of range.
I am sure with enough poking at the raw data this could be worked out. But they have all purpose and conserve modes, and the scalar could have changed.

Hard to know. Anyway they got a lot of miles out of it one way or another - and it was a quad motor. Actual EPA value less important than the range test result, but wanted to know what type of tires were being used for the test (still no idea, would have to watch the video).

The 10% challenge seems like the best road trip test.
Start at 10%.
Charge for 15 minutes.
Drive at 80mph until back at 10%.
How far?
R1T did only 85 miles. Will cybertruck beat it? Out of spec is going to test it but apparently it was too foggy today.
I need to measure this on my Model 3 AWD. I swear it’s way higher than that.
They have a spreadsheet of most of the vehicles they have tested, though they have said they are going to launch a new, improved, version soon:

Model 3 RWD 106 miles. Model Y LR did 98 miles. Model Y AWD (4680) did 71 miles.

Note: It doesn't have the recent R1T Dual Motor LR/Max tests they just completed in it.

What if the speed cameras license FSD, and measure speed with only Vision 🤷‍♂️
I think most ppl think you might be joking, but I think you’re being serious and YOU’RE RIGHT if not necessarily in that way. cameras could have a point to point analysis, with some OCR/AI/IMAGE recognition, and simply have an elevated camera, with some white hash marks on the highway, and measure the time between hash marks and asses speed. Taking pictures of EVERY car going through the field, and only elevating to review the images of vehicles who passed through the hashes at measure time and distance speeds ABOVE the posted speed to some measured extent.

This is basically what the highway patrols used to do in the past from planes or helicopters (although this was more expensive and went away a while ago) where they stopwatch closed speed between those WHITE perpendicular lines that are STILL TODAY on highways across the country, and then radiod ahead to an officer to enforce the citation.

Hmm, that would be annoying, to not have any radar signature from an up the road car to trigger in on.

They have a spreadsheet of most of the vehicles they have tested, though they have said they are going to launch a new, improved, version soon:

Model 3 RWD 106 miles. Model Y LR did 98 miles. Model Y AWD (4680) did 71 miles.

Note: It doesn't have the recent R1T Dual Motor LR/Max tests they just completed in it.
I predict it will charge from 10% to 48% in 15 minutes.

I figure range is 220 miles at 80mph. Just wild guess, haven’t tried to create an aero model and figure out aero component %. (Not going to be 77% of 254 obviously.)

So 38% of 95.5% of 220 miles gives 80 miles.

Seems a bit high. I expect more like 70 miles I guess.

The 10% challenge seems like the best road trip test.
Start at 10%.
Charge for 15 minutes.
Drive at 80mph until back at 10%.
How far?
R1T did only 85 miles. Will cybertruck beat it? Out of spec is going to test it but apparently it was too foggy today.
I need to measure this on my Model 3 AWD. I swear it’s way higher than that.
10% needs some decimals, or wait till it ticks just BELOW 10%, then wait for it to do the same again. technically, i can drive about 3-4 miles on 1%, so with such a short distance test that would WAY throw of any accurate measurement.

(Or 11% tick down to 10% works too)

10% needs some decimals, or wait till it ticks just BELOW 10%, then wait for it to do the same again. technically, i can drive about 3-4 miles on 1%, so with such a short distance test that would WAY throw of any accurate measurement.

(Or 11% tick down to 10% works too)
They do the 11% tick down to 10% method. Both on when to start the charging and when to call the test complete.

Hey kids, are you ready for some healthy speculation? If so, please grab your tinfoil hat and buckle up

I have two conflicting theories on Cybertruck battery pack and 4680 development that the last bit of info from Joe helped makes sense

I took a break from X/Reddit over the holidays so there might be more relevant info that I missed

1 - Cybertruck will achieve 500 miles of range WITHOUT the range extender or number of cells increase:

When Drew was taking (on Munro video I think) about cells, pack size, range extender he said “Our goal is to achieve 500 miles of range”

Now to the why I think it might not have include the range extender. Currently the Dual Motor Cybertruck is said to have a 123 kWh pack and rated at 340 miles with H/T tires (320 with A/T ones), if we take the leak/rumor from Joe as true and to the most optimistic improvement of 20%, this becomes 408 miles and 147.6 kWh

Now, as far as we know, 4680s still don’t use Tesla Silicon, Drew also confirmed (somewhere) that there was no chemistry changes between 4680 gen 1 and gen 2

A heavy loading of Silicon, which Tesla hopes to achieve by using a Polymer binding to avoid the possible reduction of cycle life, can easily increase energy density by another 20%, bringing it to 177 kWh and 490 miles of range

Now, another data point to cross check the above, at Battery Day, the energy density of a 2170 Model 3/Y cell was around 270 Wh/kg. 4680s Gen 1 were at 244 Wh/kg and Gen 2 at 267 Wh/kg

With the new cells changes plus addition of Tesla Silicon, this might become 385 Wh/kg

From Battery Day slides, the range increase ignoring vehicle integration was predicted as 40%, meaning that the energy density would go from 270 Wh/kg to 378 Wh/kg, pretty close

So my overall theory is that the Range Extender won’t exist, it’s just a place holder to make people happy without disclosing that a more energy dense battery is coming and those who order/ordered the extender will get the battery pack replaced by one with Gen 3 or Gen 4 4680s (maybe 5?). 2024 seems too soon for that, but who knows

Now to the second theory

2 - Currently shipped Cybertrucks have the Gen 1 4680s

This would explain the poor charging curve, would mean that Texas indeed had line 1 producing Gen 1 cells or that they stockpiled a lot from Kato, which would make sense since it doesn’t seem to me many 4680 Model Y in the wild

Now the question becomes, is the pack really 123 kWh but more cells than we predicted? The pack configuration that other and I calculated fitted perfectly with 123 kWh, so that is going to be different

If the pack has the number of cells that we predicted with Gen 2 cells, it means it has less than 123 kWh, it would be closer to 112 kWh. If it has 123 kWh, this means that with Gen 2 the energy would have a nice boost

This would be weird and a blow to early adopters, who are paying a lot more for a significantly worse product, so I rate it as unlikely, but worth discussing

Cheers

Crazy dude above

On Drew, wish he would say something about charge curve improvements coming and it’s time frame, it’s the only big Achilles heel right now, even at V3 Superchargers it would do wonders if it kept 250 kW for way longer

Trying to speculate for the 10% challenge, we know that the supposedly average power from 15-85% on a V4 Supercharger should be around 258 kW or a bit better

I will plot some curves latter, but seems fair to say it could do 250 kW up to 50%? that would mean ~10 to 65% in 15 minutes

With Alan 220 miles at 80 MPH becomes 121 miles

On V4, maybe 10-75% in that time, or 143 miles

I think most ppl think you might be joking, but I think you’re being serious and YOU’RE RIGHT if not necessarily in that way. cameras could have a point to point analysis, with some OCR/AI/IMAGE recognition, and simply have an elevated camera, with some white hash marks on the highway, and measure the time between hash marks and asses speed. Taking pictures of EVERY car going through the field, and only elevating to review the images of vehicles who passed through the hashes at measure time and distance speeds ABOVE the posted speed to some measured extent.

This is basically what the highway patrols used to do in the past from planes or helicopters (although this was more expensive and went away a while ago) where they stopwatch closed speed between those WHITE perpendicular lines that are STILL TODAY on highways across the country, and then radiod ahead to an officer to enforce the citation.

Hmm, that would be annoying, to not have any radar signature from an up the road car to trigger in on.

1704478032306.jpeg

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

With Alan 220 miles at 80 MPH becomes 121 miles

On V4, maybe 10-75% in that time, or 143 miles
You forgot the 0.955 factor. Should be 116 and 137.

Anyway maybe the challenge will get 75 miles assuming perfect charging event. I feel like 220 miles (to absolute zero, not 0%) at 80mph is maybe a little high?

CT benefits from low charging overhead. Not sure about the rest of the charging curve vs. Rivian though. It is certainly very bad currently, in an absolute sense.

Reactions: GhostSkater

Tires are not 3PMS rated (just M+S) which is presumably the issue here. Seems possible that compromises were made with the "A/T" tires in order to keep consumption decent.

The next week or two hopefully gets some more videos; going to be a little more snow in California and elsewhere, maybe even Texas at some point. Hopefully some of the owners get some good snow tires on their vehicles too.
Not clear whether or not the four-wheel steering helped here.

History suggests further tuning might help too but probably in this case just no traction. (Other vehicles with similar tires and no momentum would probably fail too.)

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10.14.16 AM.png

Last edited: