Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Tesla builds production rate of the CT, I got to think this rust thing is a byproduct of early samples and will be figured out as the metallurgy matures. I am sure after 4 years of R&D someone would notice if rust or rust like particles would be a problem. Especially since the Head of R&D came from Honda.

As Tesla builds production rate of the CT, I got to think this rust thing is a byproduct of early samples and will be figured out as the metallurgy matures. I am sure after 4 years of R&D someone would notice if rust or rust like particles would be a problem. Especially since the Head of R&D came from Honda.

Could also be rail dust from train transport...

This YouTube channel tried different cleaners and believe it or not says that Barkeeper's friend is the best cleaner when used in combination with Windex. It's not rust. It seems like it's possibly residue from internal combustion engine trucks/cars exhaust.

There are 2 parts to this, IMO.

One - there are plenty of end users that will complain about anything a lot regardless of being right or wrong. Those could be external contaminates not rust.

Two - AFAIK, every stainless steel will change based on reactions with external elements. Some, see#1, would consider it rust which in fact it is not.
I know a manufacturer who makes 100% of their work in stainless and they said that any stainless alloy which is exposed to outdoors and extremities needs to be treated to maintain its looks.

Another thing is that CT stainless alloy is somewhat magnetic (see TSportline 'test')

In any case, would love to see this addressed and explained by metallurgy expert and/or Tesla.

Yep! No surprise. Regardless of the cause in this case:

I told everyone here a number of times that stainless steel most definitely rusts. I told people that if you over clean/polish or otherwise ‘debride’ the outer skin of the stainless steel it will rust fast.

Stainless steel is like a living organism. The more you ‘pick’ at it, the more you ‘wound’ it.

For anyone getting a CT - either leave it completely alone and let it be dirty and fingerprinted (which will essentially seal it) and patina on its own OR immediately wrap it - and don’t let the detailers over prepare it for the wrap. There are special products one can use to remove fingerprints and such that minimize the damage to the skin of the steel, but overtime even that will do damage.

Originally I said I was going to clear coat mine and then wrap. I’ve since done some digging and talked to my contacts and am now strongly leaning towards wrapping and then clear coating (ceramic). Wrap to ‘seal’ and protect the stainless steel and then clear coat to protect the wrap.

Last edited:
This YouTube channel tried different cleaners and believe it or not says that Barkeeper's friend is the best cleaner when used in combination with Windex. It's not rust. It seems like it's possibly residue from internal combustion engine trucks/cars exhaust.
Oh... so that's why I have this black powder caked on the rear half of our Model YP! 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: jerry33
Another thing is that CT stainless alloy is somewhat magnetic (see TSportline 'test')

In any case, would love to see this addressed and explained by metallurgy expert and/or Tesla.

Stainless steel has magnetic variants, ferritic and martensitic stailess steels. I'm not an expert, but here's some explanation:

I can confirm from my sources that Windex (right!?) is something they use as well.

There are 2 parts to this, IMO.

One - there are plenty of end users that will complain about anything a lot regardless of being right or wrong. Those could be external contaminates not rust.

Two - AFAIK, every stainless steel will change based on reactions with external elements. Some, see#1, would consider it rust which in fact it is not.
I know a manufacturer who makes 100% of their work in stainless and they said that any stainless alloy which is exposed to outdoors and extremities needs to be treated to maintain its looks.

I mean, it seems like they thought about this issue when creating the special alloy (starts at 10 min mark where Lars and Franz talk about this):

I was firmly in the camp of, "I will never have to waste time keeping my cyber(nota)truck presentable. No wrap, no coating, just a nice honest patina." Where are those guys?
And I was with the majority on that. I noted how bad the Turdneau cover would look. And the boys that ain't cleaning their "trucks" every day are showing just how unattractive that "cover" gets, and fast.
CyberNOTAtruck keeps getting more NOTA.
The good thing (I hope) is that Elon will evolve the cybernotatruck into something much much better than it is now... like perhaps a truck.

All those 40-yr-old DeLoreans must be really rusty by now
It depends. Composition of the stainless steel? Were the owners obsessing over fingerprints and such? What was available on the market to use for cleaning at the time. Have they been sitting in a barn covered with your grandmother’s doilies? Are they sitting out in the elements? By the sea? On my mountain in the forest being used by woodland creatures for a home?

• Informative
Reactions: Unpilot
It depends. Composition of the stainless steel? Were the owners obsessing over fingerprints and such? What was available on the market to use for cleaning at the time. Have they been sitting in a barn covered with your grandmother’s doilies? Are they sitting out in the elements? By the sea? On my mountain in the forest being used by woodland creatures for a home?
Fingerprints, no big deal, and if so the solution is gloves.

Deloreans did and do have some cosmetic problems . Personally I have never seen or observed in pictures any rust, but they do develop a “patina” or crud on the surface and scuff. You should be able to find UTUBE videos on cleaning them up when it’s bad. They would probably apply to a Cybertruck for anyone interested. I know you’re going to wrap, but you might find them interesting.

Yep! No surprise. Regardless of the cause in this case:

I told everyone here a number of times that stainless steel most definitely rusts. I told people that if you over clean/polish or otherwise ‘debride’ the outer skin of the stainless steel it will rust fast.

Stainless steel is like a living organism. The more you ‘pick’ at it, the more you ‘wound’ it.

For anyone getting a CT - either leave it completely alone and let it be dirty and fingerprinted (which will essentially seal it) and patina on its own OR immediately wrap it - and don’t let the detailers over prepare it for the wrap. There are special products one can use to remove fingerprints and such that minimize the damage to the skin of the steel, but overtime even that will do damage.

Originally I said I was going to clear coat mine and then wrap. I’ve since done some digging and talked to my contacts and am now strongly leaning towards wrapping and then clear coating (ceramic). Wrap to ‘seal’ and protect the stainless steel and then clear coat to protect the wrap.
Any idea on how much that would cost (wrap then clear coat)?

That seems like a big expense that I would rather not do but can see why people would. For the people that don't do that it seems based on the little information we have, that this will be difficult to keep clean.