Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Nikola Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

So, please say something about a video when you post it to help others determine whether or not they need to waste time listening to it.

This is, in fact, a good video. The blogger dumps on the media for not doing its job, and gives reasons how they utterly failed. He then explains why the class action lawsuit was filed yesterday and not before. And then gives lots of interesting info about the lawsuit including the ties to GM. Also, Dec 3rd is the date that Nikola shares nosedive (lock up period ends), or some time before that in anticipation.

However, the article quotes Bloomberg analyst Xiaoting Wang as saying Nikola’s assumed cost of producing hydrogen -- which it claims to be $2.47 per kilo -- does not take into account the capital expenditure the company will have to make in electrolyzer systems and fueling stations. Nor does it take into account the difficulty it faces in finding 100% renewable-energy sources 24 hours of the day.

It's like Nikola's hydrogen costs are dictated by Moore's law. But instead of a halving of price every two years, it's like the price halves every two weeks.

At this rate, they'll give out years worth of hydrogen supply for free with the purchase of one of their trucks, because it'll be basically free to produce.

WSJ: The Incredible Shrinking GM: Mary Barra Bets That Smaller Is Better

Article describes (in part) how Barra is making a bet in electric cars. Best part are the comments [clarification-- from WSJ readers, not Barra]:
  • "Batteries need to be at least twice as powerful than they are now."
  • "There are no charging stations in a forest, or a desert. And I cannot use it for long journeys when I have to stop to charge for 8 hours before proceeding."
  • "I have nothing against EVs, but journos should not forget that there is a world outside of NYC/Chicago/LA/San Fran where the sight of an EV is extremely rare."
  • "Electric cars aren’t going to make huge waves for decades. The simple fact is that customers don’t have much interest in them. Battery technology is just not here yet, you can’t make a cross country trip in an EV."
  • "Charging needs to be build into roads. A fee could be taken as you drive over the charging grids. This could mean no stopping at all for fuel."
  • "It will be decades before electric vehicles can take over the market. They are not affordable for a family making less than $65,000 per year which is more than half the country. Furthermore, since these vehicles are mostly "refueled" at home, one needs a garage, or at a minimum, off street parking, to own one these things."
  • "From what I've read the bigger issue is the batteries and the amount of energy it takes to build the batteries."

Last edited:

Article describes (in part) how Barra is making a bet in electric cars. Best part are the comments:
  • "There are no charging stations in a forest, or a desert. And I cannot use it for long journeys when I have to stop to charge for 8 hours before proceeding."
  • "I have nothing against EVs, but journos should not forget that there is a world outside of NYC/Chicago/LA/San Fran where the sight of an EV is extremely rare."
  • "Electric cars aren’t going to make huge waves for decades. The simple fact is that customers don’t have much interest in them. Battery technology is just not here yet, you can’t make a cross country trip in an EV."
  • "Charging needs to be build into roads. A fee could be taken as you drive over the charging grids. This could mean no stopping at all for fuel."
  • "It will be decades before electric vehicles can take over the market. They are not affordable for a family making less than $65,000 per year which is more than half the country. Furthermore, since these vehicles are mostly "refueled" at home, one needs a garage, or at a minimum, off street parking, to own one these things."
  • "From what I've read the bigger issue is the batteries and the amount of energy it takes to build the batteries."
Are these actual, recent quotes from her in the article?

Are these actual, recent quotes from her in the article?
Sorry, my bad. Not comments from Barra, but from WSJ readers.

From reading the article, Barra 'gets it'. The article is about how she is cutting unprofitable parts of GM to in part fund EV development:

• "Ms. Barra scheduled workshops to sketch out a growth strategy for GM, based on an evolving view that the future would hinge on offering alternative ways for people to get around, such as electric and self-driving cars, said John Quattrone, Ms. Barra’s human-resources chief before his retirement in 2017."
  • "That would also mean deeper cuts overseas to fund the future, Mr. Quattrone said. Ms. Barra presented the new vision to nearly 300 executives at GM’s proving grounds in suburban Detroit"
  • "“We all have to sign up for this plan. If you don’t believe in it, then see John and we’ll find a landing spot for you,” Ms. Barra said, according to Mr. Quattrone."

Article describes (in part) how Barra is making a bet in electric cars. Best part are the comments [clarification-- from WSJ readers, not Barra]:

She did a deal with "Roll-it-down-the-hill" Milton. 'nuff said.

Last edited:
Last time
Sorry, my bad. Not comments from Barra, but from WSJ readers.

From reading the article, Barra 'gets it'. The article is about how she is cutting unprofitable parts of GM to in part fund EV development:

• "Ms. Barra scheduled workshops to sketch out a growth strategy for GM, based on an evolving view that the future would hinge on offering alternative ways for people to get around, such as electric and self-driving cars, said John Quattrone, Ms. Barra’s human-resources chief before his retirement in 2017."
  • "That would also mean deeper cuts overseas to fund the future, Mr. Quattrone said. Ms. Barra presented the new vision to nearly 300 executives at GM’s proving grounds in suburban Detroit"
  • "“We all have to sign up for this plan. If you don’t believe in it, then see John and we’ll find a landing spot for you,” Ms. Barra said, according to Mr. Quattrone."
barra might be the reason GM won’t go bankrupt in 5 years, if she manages to develop a compelling EV branch

Ok...and then they've lost... still nothing.

And they only lose that much (nothing) if Nikola collapses pretty near immediately.

That's why the contract is so nuts. No legit business would've given away that much to GM.

If Nikola lasts at least 1 more year GM gets to liquidate 1/3rd of the stock for cash (even if they've done nothing for it) and another 1/3rd the next 2 years.

If Nikola actually asks GM to do anything, they have to pay GM on a cost plus basis to do it. Plus give GM any emissions credits for any vehicles they DO build, and a slew of other ridiculous in-GMs-favor terms.

Outside of the press stuff it's 100% win for GM no matter how it turns out.

(also this should prob. go to the Nikola thread)

The discussion was really about the viability of GM and Mary Barra’s leadership. You can usually conclude what a company’s strategies are by the actions it takes. Is GM’s strategic intent to transition to EVs and compete with Tesla? That’s debatable, but I think they would like to if at all possible. Unfortunately for GM, they are so far behind and entrenched in their old ways so they are grasping at straws to find an EV transition approach with a high probability for success. They really don’t have much of a solution mapped-out at this point and the losses continue to accumulate. LG battery deal, clearing land for a battery factory, Cadillac, Hummer, etc. All long term bets, but the Nikola deal appeared to me as a desperation move that was done quickly without enough due diligence - hoping for a silver bullet to hedge against the risk that they can’t execute EV transition any other way.

Last edited:
Betting the farm on Trevor the Coaster might Lead to GM bankruptcy sooner than that.
I’ve found with overbearing project management no decisions are made, just countless boxes checked. Then after overthinking every detail, a rash decision is made as time is running out. A company like GM will want every detail of a 5 year plan nailed down. An agile company and an agile boss will figure out what has to be done to get started and focus on the most important issues and solve the details as they move forward. The GM Nikola deal seems exactly what a decision paralyzed company would do after years of marginal progress.

I’ve found with overbearing project management no decisions are made, just countless boxes checked. Then after overthinking every detail, a rash decision is made as time is running out. A company like GM will want every detail of a 5 year plan nailed down. An agile company and an agile boss will figure out what has to be done to get started and focus on the most important issues and solve the details as they move forward. The GM Nikola deal seems exactly what a decision paralyzed company would do after years of marginal progress.
What are they waiting to produce an electric pick up with the volt technology?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
This is an interesting video showing you how much of a douchebag Trevor Milton is.

Summary: A 30 year friend of Trevor’s gets hold of awful slimy text messages Trevor sent to a woman. Trevor alleges his friend is trying to extort him based on those texts and calls the cops on him. His friend gets arrested for this alleged extortion and once out on bail, commits suicide (his friend had mental issues known to all). A friend of the now deceased guy finds out about what happened and is now exposing it all.