Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Nikola Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nikola's (NKLA) CEO Mark Russell Presents at Morgan Stanley 8th Annual Virtual Laguna Conference

Not Trevor, but still. For instance:
And then Tesla unveiled their Cybertruck. And a lot of people didn't like it, including me. I’m a pickup truck driver. I've been for 40 years. I didn't like it. And so Trevor says, let's put the design concept we have for a pickup truck. Let's throw it out there and say, Elon, if you want to build a real pickup truck, here it is. And we did that, as a fun thing. But the next thing, people are bombarding our website saying, will you really build that. If you will, I want – I may want to buy it. And so we put a form on our website saying, if you're interested in the Badger, fill out this form and we'll keep you in the loop. And we had, 80,000 plus people who signed up that and that caught the attention of a lot of OEMs who said, we'll build that with you.

and

We've got a battery, but we're getting single-source. So what we got out of GM there was a tremendous benefit to us in batteries because we got a second source for battery. And it's a different technology too, its pouch large format cells versus what we're doing as cylindrical very much like Tesla’s, ours are based on the same kind of base cells as Tesla’s batteries are.

He talks a lot about second sourcing, which is indeed an OEM thing to prevent issues with one supplier killing your whole project, but those two sources need to be producing the same component. Switching from cylindrical cells to a pouch battery pack results in all kinds of other changes, from packaging to BMS to software....

He then claims:
We're innovating batteries, we're innovating fuel cells, we're innovating the control systems and the integration of those things into a vehicle.

Question from Morgan Stanley:
One of the allegations of a recent short-seller report is that you claim to design your own components in-house and are actually buying them from third-parties. I think you've been pretty clear in your conversation today that you've been in development with partnerships, with different component makers like Bosch on your fuel-cell technology now on the hydrogen station components and the electrolyzers and then also with GM, with the DB and fuel-cell technology that they're bringing to the table. But can you just clarify for us, which of these partnerships are actually exclusive with Nikola and in which partnerships does Nikola jointly own the tech with those component makers? And then is there anything specifically that you own 100%?

Answer from Mark Russell:
100 years ago, somebody tried to build everything by themselves that was Henry Ford. He tried to backward integrate all the way to iron ore and to rubber, he was bringing an iron ore from Minnesota and rubber from Brazil to have it all come into. And he controlled the whole thing, built every single part of that car by himself. And everybody thought, realized in the end that was a disastrous way to try to do that because it's still complex. And today, they're even more – vehicles are more complex than they were back in the days of the Model T. And it's gotten to the point now where you have companies like Apple, who don't build anything, they completely outsource everything because all they want to do is design it and write the software. So that's similar, not like Apple, but that the current state-of-the-art in automotive and vehicle manufacturing worldwide, we are very much approaching it in that way.

Basically, this is Russell saying Vertical Integration is a bad thing. He needs to sync up with Trevor on that. Russell continues on to say that the only thing they own is software:

We are absolutely owning all of our software, everything that we've got on the software front is 100% ours, every line of code we wrote. And then everything that the software controls we're developing in collaboration with partners. For example, I just talked about the batteries. We're using the same base cells that virtually every vehicle manufacturer who uses cylindrical based battery uses, ours happen to come from Korea. Tesla started out coming from Japan and then they've domesticated that supply chain.

So we buy the base cells. Those are basically commodities. We've worked with a company on a module that we like, we like their module. And then we worked with them to put that into a battery pack. And we just released pictures in the last few days of those battery packs going on the prototypes in Germany right now. Our base version has nine of those packs for 720 kilowatts with the current cell, that'll go up to 750 with the next cell, those packs going on the truck, that's our pack.

The thermal system that keeps those batteries thermally controlled. That's developed by us in combination with a company called Mahle, the integration of that power through inverters to the motors. We've worked with Bosch extensively and all of that on inverters and the motor and what we call the eAxle. Bosch helped us develop eAxle, the eAxle design that we use that we help – that's our design used by – used for example, Bosch rotors, and stators.

But other components come from other companies and a company called FPT is actually going to – is manufacturing that for us, for the prototypes and is in a default position, become our production supplier. So if you understand how the industry works, every vehicle is a complex supply chain that involves dozens and sometimes hundreds of different partners and suppliers.

And Bosch being our partner is a great example of that. They are circa $100 billion company that supplies dozens with OEMs, dozens of – making dozens and hundreds of vehicles with hundreds of different parts. And we've been very pleased to collaborate with them on developing the unique parts that we're providing for our vehicles, which are those core parts, the software controls, the batteries, eAxles, inverters, infotainment systems. That's the way it works.

The analyst comes back with a question on what, if anything, might be exclusive to Nikola. Russell's response is, essentially, just the software:

generally, we have the right to buy components from other people over time if we find something that's better, and they generally also have the right to provide what we developed together to other people over time.

Russell claims they can get elecricity for $0.02/kwh:
So what we want to do is in the case of Los Angeles, she wanted to be an Interstate 10 as close to Los Angeles as you can get without crossing a border that has you paying a high price for electricity. So on Interstate 10, we get super cheap electricity by the way. And I can't comment on specific PPAs, because we have to keep those confidential, because there are lots of competition for that kind of thing and specific locations, but you can bet we're going to have a dispensing station somewhere on Interstate 10 and it's going to be as close to Los Angeles as we can get. And as you move away from Los Angeles, we get into the range of the cheapest electricity in some respects in the world, because that is the Saudi Arabia solar for North America is right in the Southwest here, so we got lots of solar options there.
And as you can see from solar PPAs that are being signed for large solar rays. People are – can profitably build those solar raisins tell the power on a fixed price for 20, 30 years for approaching $0.02. I can show you four big ones that have been signed just recently that are approaching $0.02 a kilowatt hour.

And then the Hindenburg allegations:
The allegations that were put out there about that very early stage prototype that's very early stage, we were still messing around with natural gas versus hydrogen in those days, this is years ago. And they want to poke holes in that early stage prototype.
Most people would have built a non-working prototype, we tried to build a prototype that would operate, it had all the equipment for it to be able to operate, it was capable of operating. We chose not to operate that truck because we – I mean, we were pivoting to hydrogen in the middle of all that. So they're pointing at that early stage prototype as somehow undermining our credibility, but we have a lot of evidence of the hydrogen fuel cell technology that we've got today.

He's apparently learning to lie from Trevor. The video of the truck does not predate Nikola's pivot to hydrogen fuel cell. The video is from Jan 2018!

But, worse for me that the only thing he responds to is that truck video when in fact there are dozens of points and 50-odd questions that need to be addressed.

My last post was pretty long. Here's a TL;DR version

1) Russell says Nikola is not vertically integrated, and that vertical integration is a bad thing.
2) Nikola's only IP is software and maybe some things you can find in patents.
3) Anything a Tier 1 makes for Nikola can be sold by that Tier 1 to another OEM.
4) The only things unique to Nikola in the GM-produced Badger will be the interior and exterior panels, and some "functionality," which remains unspecified but is probably functionality in the infotainment related to finding Nikola's hydrogen stations and similar.
5) Russell lied about the gravity truck video being made in the days before Nikola pivoted to hydrogen. That pivot was in 2016 and the video was released in 2018 - and as Hindenburg showed, Nikola tweeted the video and described the vehicle as a "hydrogen electric truck."
6) Russell talks about "second sourcing" batteries, but those are cylindrical and pouch style batteries, which can't just be substituted on the assembly line (a requirement for true automotive second sourcing). Those are completely separate designs in all aspects.

I was wondering why don't they simply throw Trevor under the bus to resolve the bad PR situation from the Hindenburg report + related SEC and DoJ investigations. After all, most of the lies came directly out of his mouth, so it would be easy to put all the blame on him and save the company. But the above posts from @smorgasbord show that Mark Russel speaks similarly embracing some of the same lies. The problem seems to be rooted deeper in the company culture.

So NKLA uses cylindrical cells. If I understand correctly, TSLA probably have some patent on it and have opened up to everyone in exchange for not getting sued.

Then we have this NKLA lawsuit on TSLA... Does it mean that TSLA will now retaliate with the battery patent?

Usually it's SOP to countersue when a company gets sued for patent infringement.

If Tesla has patent(s) Nikola is infringing, I think they should sue. But since the Badger is basically vaporware at this point, it may be hard to sue for infringement.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Actaeon
He talks a lot about second sourcing, which is indeed an OEM thing to prevent issues with one supplier killing your whole project, but those two sources need to be producing the same component.
They don't have to be identical, though differences create work for the OEM. Tesla has used three sources for PowerPacks. They're even using two different chemistries (and possibly form factors) for MIC 3s.
Basically, this is Russell saying Vertical Integration is a bad thing. He needs to sync up with Trevor on that.
Trevor is being pushed aside. Iveco, Bosch, GM, etc. all ignore him.
Russell claims they can get elecricity for $0.02/kwh:
2 cent solar is pretty common in the SW US. El Paso recently signed a 1.5 cent deal. They can't run electrolyzers at night off those PPAs, so they'll either pay grid prices or live with low utilization.

In many areas they could suck up 2 cent solar during the day, supply grid power during the 3-9pm peak, then opportunistically suck up cheap nighttime power. And also provide FCAS, like Hornsdale. That's three revenue streams from the same equipment. As long as they have sufficient storage it could be pretty lucrative. Tesla is undoubtedly looking at a similar approach, otherwise 7 cent Megacharging is nonsense.
The video of the truck does not predate Nikola's pivot to hydrogen fuel cell.
It predates Russell, which is what customers and partners care about.
But, worse for me that the only thing he responds to is that truck video when in fact there are dozens of points and 50-odd questions that need to be addressed.
But all the focus is on the video. The obvious Trevor frauds like the inverter tape again pre-date Russell and any public shareholders. If the attack puppies at the SEC even bother with this stuff Nikola will throw Trevor under the bus and promise to be boy scouts from here on out. SOP.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
They don't have to be identical, though differences create work for the OEM. Tesla has used three sources for PowerPacks. They're even using two different chemistries (and possibly form factors) for MIC 3s.

The differences between cylindrical cells and pouch-style batteries are huge. There's not just two sets of design, build, and validation engineering to do, there is interchangeability that needs to be accomodated.

Trevor is being pushed aside. Iveco, Bosch, GM, etc. all ignore him.
It predates Russell, which is what customers and partners care about.

But all the focus is on the video. The obvious Trevor frauds like the inverter tape again pre-date Russell and any public shareholders. If the attack puppies at the SEC even bother with this stuff Nikola will throw Trevor under the bus and promise to be boy scouts from here on out. SOP.

Yes, it's arguable that Nikola will throw Trevor under the bus, but their 10-K states: We are highly dependent on the services of Trevor R. Milton, our Executive Chairman, and largest stockholder. Mr. Milton is the source of many, if not most, of the ideas and execution driving Nikola. If Mr. Milton were to discontinue his service to us due to death, disability or any other reason, we would be significantly disadvantaged.

They issued a "rebuttal" :)

Trevor doesn't understand most of this stuff. His claims are a mix of lies, gibberish and cluelessness. Sometimes it's hard to tell which is which. When he makes factually incorrect statements the company needs to immediately publish corrections (excuse me "clarifications"), like Tesla does. Dubious claims about the future usually fall under safe harbor disclaimers. NKLA often doesn't bother with corrections or safe harbor, a sign that no adults are present.

Today's "rebuttal" was written by adults, though. It's an exercise in misdirection and hair-splitting:
"Nikola never stated its truck was driving under its own propulsion in the video...."
"It was never described as “under its own propulsion” or “powertrain driven.....”

I think they hired "he didn't show fake power meter readings" KBM3 to help wordsmith the rebuttal, haha.

It’s apparent you did not understand the difference in Solar Roof and In-Motion.

The most important fundamental aspect for the roof to demo was the look/design. That’s why the event was staged at a Hollywood Lot with gorgeous houses. Why in the world, would you think it important for people to go in the house and see that the lights are on, and that the lights are being powered by the solar panels? Hopefully you never are tasked with creating and staging demonstrations, if you think that was important:) We have had solar panels forever. That is not the breakthrough. The breakthrough is the look of the roof and incorporation of solar within it, and the price.

Versus the single most important aspect of the Nikola 1, was the drivetrain, which was completely missing, not the outer truck design, which was all that was shown.

I really do not know how to make this simpler. It is quite puzzling you think these two things are comparable. You seem to usually have much more insight than that.

If the attack puppies at the SEC even bother with this stuff Nikola will throw Trevor under the bus and promise to be boy scouts from here on out. SOP.

Yeah. I've already spent too much time on this, but the next step would be to review the public statements and claims against a timeline of NKLA merging and going public to see what claims were made that misled investors. I agree the future stuff is probably excusable, but he has made many "future present" tense claims of things being done that weren't at the time.

For instance, Trevor's recent claim on a live video (available still) that the 5 prototype trucks in Germany were "done" is obviously incorrect as he himself subsequently posted pictures of them still being assembled. But, does that rise to an appropriate level of fraud?

I would not have thought that "funding secured" would - indeed I think Elon's belief that he had the funding secured was good enough, but apparently that specific phrase has a particular meaning that is beyond what I as a layman would interpret. And Trevor may have been able to avoid such phrases.

The differences between cylindrical cells and pouch-style batteries are huge. There's not just two sets of design, build, and validation engineering to do, there is interchangeability that needs to be accomodated.

Actually, JB Straubel and Elon Musk have said repeatedly that pouch versus cylindrical is NOT a big deal.

Says JB: "It always ends up being very controversial, for reasons I don’t totally understand. Nobody gives a damn about the shape and size of your fuel tank!"

Tesla has pack assembling machines that work with cylinders, so Tesla sticks with cylinders. If LG or GM or Bosch has a pack assembling machine that works better with pouches, they should use pouches.

What are you talking about? Nikola released the video with the claims about the inverter, with the name plate taped over, just two months ago. That does not pre-date Russell or any public shareholders:

You will also notice that this isn't just a Trevor tweet, this is a video released by Nikola on their official YouTube channel.

Last edited:
I was wondering why don't they simply throw Trevor under the bus to resolve the bad PR situation from the Hindenburg report + related SEC and DoJ investigations. After all, most of the lies came directly out of his mouth, so it would be easy to put all the blame on him and save the company. But the above posts from @smorgasbord show that Mark Russel speaks similarly embracing some of the same lies. The problem seems to be rooted deeper in the company culture.
There's nothing to save. Nikola is a Trevor Milton fraud vehicle, with everybody else a sucker. That includes shareholders, partners, and employees at every level. TM gets shares for free and sells them for cash as fast as he can. So will everybody else as it becomes clear that's the only way to make any money on this thing. If they get rid of TM then the implosion just happens much sooner, so it's not in the best interest of anybody with shares to sell.

Actually, JB Straubel and Elon Musk have said repeatedly that pouch versus cylindrical is NOT a big deal.

Says JB: "It always ends up being very controversial, for reasons I don’t totally understand. Nobody gives a damn about the shape and size of your fuel tank!"

Tesla has pack assembling machines that work with cylinders, so Tesla sticks with cylinders. If LG or GM or Bosch has a pack assembling machine that works better with pouches, they should use pouches.

You're completely missing my point. It's not that one is better than the other, it's that the two are different enough from each other from an engineering perspective that designing, implementing and validating the two systems to fit into a single pickup body is a larger task than just doing one, or even doing two vehicles with two different packs.

By characterizing these as "second sourcing," Nikola is literally saying they can choose which of the two to install on the assembly line with only minimal changes on that line.

It's nonsense.

Reactions: HVM
My last post was pretty long. Here's a TL;DR version

1) Russell says Nikola is not vertically integrated, and that vertical integration is a bad thing.
2) Nikola's only IP is software and maybe some things you can find in patents.
3) Anything a Tier 1 makes for Nikola can be sold by that Tier 1 to another OEM.
4) The only things unique to Nikola in the GM-produced Badger will be the interior and exterior panels, and some "functionality," which remains unspecified but is probably functionality in the infotainment related to finding Nikola's hydrogen stations and similar.
5) Russell lied about the gravity truck video being made in the days before Nikola pivoted to hydrogen. That pivot was in 2016 and the video was released in 2018 - and as Hindenburg showed, Nikola tweeted the video and described the vehicle as a "hydrogen electric truck."
6) Russell talks about "second sourcing" batteries, but those are cylindrical and pouch style batteries, which can't just be substituted on the assembly line (a requirement for true automotive second sourcing). Those are completely separate designs in all aspects.
Every major component is outsourced:
- Fuel Cell
- Compress gas tanks
- Batteries
- Electrical Motors

The only non I’m way I can rationalize this is that NKLA is being artificially propped up until December 3 - lock-up expiration. That way the big investors can get out with a profit before it all goes belly-up. Otherwise this makes absolutely no sense why anyone would choose to invest in this company.

Reactions: Yoona
You're completely missing my point. It's not that one is better than the other, it's that the two are different enough from each other from an engineering perspective that designing, implementing and validating the two systems to fit into a single pickup body is a larger task than just doing one, or even doing two vehicles with two different packs.

Not sure I understand what you mean, China Model 3 uses cylindrical cells in the LR and prismatic in the SR, no engineering changes to the vehicles.

Reactions: transpondster