Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Nikola Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original design for Nikola’s flagship truck was purchased by founder Trevor Milton from a designer in Croatia, according to two people with knowledge of the matter, despite company claims in a 2018 lawsuit that the vehicle was initially designed by Mr Milton “in his basement”.

The truck, the Nikola One, is at the centre of a $2bn lawsuit with Tesla, in which Nikola alleges its rival infringed on its patents. Nikola claims in that lawsuit that Mr Milton began designing the model in 2013, with other company staff later working on it.

In a rebuttal to the lawsuit filed last week, Tesla alleged that Nikola could not protect the designs because they did not originate from the company itself, but from Adriano Mudri, a designer based in Croatia.

Two people with knowledge of the transaction told the Financial Times that the Nikola founder bought the designs in 2015 after meeting Mr Mudri while visiting electric supercar maker Rimac in Croatia.

Nikola founder bought truck designs from third party

This is an interesting twist in the story. Trevor was telling another lie, that they made the design at Nikola -- nothing new there, we know he is pathological liar / scammer , claiming he invented everything from the wheel onward all the way to working teleportation across the galaxy. However, if they actually bought the design from the original inventor and then patented it, that seems to make the "prior art" defense of Tesla weaker since that prior art is the actual design at the heart of the patent (not some 3rd party), that is now owned by Nikola. Of course, IANAL*, so I have no clue how exactly this works out in patent law. I guess if the original design was published by the Croatians before selling it to Nikola, then the genie is out of the bottle and hard to stuff it back to make it a protected invention...

IANAL = I am not a lawyer

This is an interesting twist in the story. Trevor was telling another lie, that they made the design at Nikola -- nothing new there, we know he is pathological liar / scammer , claiming he invented everything from the wheel onward all the way to working teleportation across the galaxy. However, if they actually bought the design from the original inventor and then patented it, that seems to make the "prior art" defense of Tesla weaker since that prior art is the actual design at the heart of the patent (not some 3rd party), that is now owned by Nikola. Of course, IANAL*, so I have no clue how exactly this works out in patent law. I guess if the original design was published by the Croatians before selling it to Nikola, then the genie is out of the bottle and hard to stuff it back to make it a protected invention...

IANAL = I am not a lawyer
You have 1 year to apply for a patent after first public reveal (2010) or sale (2014+). One-Year Rule[Patent Law] Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.
You also need to be the inventor or asignee to apply for the patent. The design patent is invalid and there is nothing for Tesla to infringe. (Unless going for a trademark type thing)

Tesla Argues Nikola Deceived PTO to Get Design Patents

You have 1 year to apply for a patent after first public reveal (2010) or sale (2014+). One-Year Rule[Patent Law] Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.
You also need to be the inventor or asignee to apply for the patent. The design patent is invalid and there is nothing for Tesla to infringe. (Unless going for a trademark type thing)

Tesla Argues Nikola Deceived PTO to Get Design Patents
This agrees with my understanding of the US situation, although none of my patents are design patents.

Reactions: HVM
OK, here are a few extra bits of detail.
Firstly, the main design patent in question: United States Patent: D814357

Tesla claims that Adriano Mudri invented the design in 2010, and that Milton met him in 2014; the patent was filed at the end of 2015.

Mudri is not listed as an inventor. If Tesla's claim is true, not only is the patent invalid, but it is fraud on the part of the inventors (Milton and Steve Jennes).

Here is Mudri's design, archived at Michelin. One of the images:
roadrunner04_2.jpg

Attached is Milton's patent first page; the entire patent is just the seven drawings mentioned. This is their first drawing:

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 13.59.24 .png

I think Milton's toast.

Attachments

• 1 (2).pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 46
I think Milton's toast.

I have to admit I haven't paid close attention... but I thought the heart of Nikola's argument had to do with the position of the door -- that it was behind the driver's seat or something, and Tesla copied that element. And I don't see any doors in Mudri's design, so I'm not sure it would invalidate that part.

Back in March, long before a short seller would raise questions about electric-truck company Nikola Corp. and hasten its founder’s exit, early investors in the company were expressing concerns of their own.Those investors, led by mutual-fund giant Fidelity Investments, were worried that Trevor Milton, for all his brash visionary talk and Twitter braggadocio, lacked the ability that Elon Musk possesses to deliver these sorts of newfangled products to market.

Nikola Founder Milton’s Fall Reveals What His Backers Feared

that’s the stuff that was on ‘tweeter‘ a week or two ago. surely it had nothing to do with the resignation :eek:

i mentioned around that time that i wondered if it was all true or not.
...not that i’m defending him. i think he’s a quack! but if true, that’s just extra slimy, man.
Interesting timing. Both of these accusations might be money grabs now that Milton is a billionaire. It also could be his high public profile just made it impossible to continue living in silence. These could be settled confidentially, prior to charges being filed.

That said, I don't doubt them one bit and feel very bad for these two women. There may be others.

Reactions: Boomer19
Wrong thread, but can not pass up not sharing here.
Trevor Milton is in deeper *sugar*:
Two women file sexual abuse complaints against Nikola founder Trevor Milton
From the article: “Aubrey Ferrin Smith, who publicly accused Milton over Twitter and Facebook of groping her bare breasts after a family funeral outside Salt Lake City in 1999 when she was 15 and he was 17 years old.”
Am I the only one to find this a strange combination of events? For the Dutch speaking readers: this sounds like a scene from the movie “The Flodder family”.