Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian has a new, non-OTA, recall going out for just about every vehicle they had produced so far:

No big deal, you only might lose steering control. At least 7 reports related to the recall...

I checked and the details aren't available from NHTSA yet.

And the details are available from NHTSA. It even impacts their EDV vans that they made for Amazon. Which I thought were made on a separate line, so it wasn't just a problem with one station.

Took Rivian about 45 days to realize they had a manufacturing line problem:

On August 13, 2022, Rivian identified a vehicle where the upper control arm had separated from the steering knuckle. The incident was reviewed by engineering and an investigation into root cause and scope was initiated.
On September 24, 2022, Rivian became aware of two vehicles where the steering knuckle had become loose or separated.
As of September 28, 2022, Rivian had become aware of six reports potentially related to this issue that had accumulated over the production of R1T, R1S, and EDV vehicles (a rate of 0.037%).
On September 29, 2022, Rivian completed its investigation, confirming the suspected root cause, risk assessment, remedy, and affected population.
On September 30, 2022, Rivian determined that a safety-related defect exists related to this matter.

Had a ride in one, looked it over. Nice. I do hope they get things on track. How long did it take Tesla to work all the bugs out. O, in process but pretty good, maybe? Yeah, I invested in Rivian, only 1K. Maybe my grandson will profit from it...

Tesla started delivering Model S in June of 2012.

On March 28 2014 they issued a recall on all 35k Model S delivered to date because the battery pack was susceptible to being punctured and starting a fire.

They installed a titanium shield on the bottom front of the pack and raised the minimum ride height.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla started delivering Model S in June of 2012.

On March 28 2014 they issued a recall on all 35k Model S delivered to date because the battery pack was susceptible to being punctured and starting a fire.

They installed a titanium shield on the bottom front of the pack and raised the minimum ride height.
They did not have a recall. After two external object induced incidents in 2013, they upgraded the pack protection against road debris and offered free retrofits to all existing vehicles

Model S Fire

Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S

The ride height change was an interim step taken in 2013.
Tesla Tweaks Model S Wirelessly as Feds Investigate Battery Fires

• Disagree
Reactions: mongo and MP3Mike
Then there should be a record on the NHTSA site, but yet there isn't. So it wasn't a recall.
By definition a recall.

TSBs are for something might be a problem. If a car comes in with that problem then fix it.

All 35k Tesla owners were contacted there was a safety issue.

All that came to a service center has the shield installed.

• Disagree
Reactions: mongo and MP3Mike
By definition a recall.
Nope. A recall, at least how it is used in the automotive world, is a legal term, and is required it to be reported/logged with NHTSA.

TSBs are for something might be a problem. If a car comes in with that problem then fix it.
There have been plenty of TSBs in the past where Tesla contacted owners to come in, that weren't recalls.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
Nope. A recall, at least how it is used in the automotive world, is a legal term, and is required it to be reported/logged with NHTSA.

There have been plenty of TSBs in the past where Tesla contacted owners to come in, that weren't recalls.

What you are referring to is a NHSTA issued recall.

TSB (technical service bulletin) instructs dealers/service centers on how to repair a car if a car comes in with the specific problem referred to in the bulletin. A subset of Model S weren't affected but all of them. This wasn't a manufacturing problem but an engineering one. Hence all where affected.

TSB (technical service bulletin) instructs dealers/service centers on how to repair a car if a car comes in with the specific problem referred to in the bulletin. A subset of Model S weren't affected but all of them. This wasn't a manufacturing problem but an engineering one. Hence all where affected.

And what you are referring to was a TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10110743-9999.pdf

1665431282396.png

Notice it says that it is available for installation "upon customer request." My understanding is there are still Model Ss on the road that haven't had this TSB performed.

Tesla classifies TSB in various ways. This one is classified as a "Parts and Accessories Bulletin." But in any case it was not a recall, as that term is widely used in the automotive world.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and mongo
Here is a video showing how Rivian setup a drive-thru "clinic" to perform a recall where they needed to tighten some things; no appointment needed. I'm not sure it is the steering recall that was just announced as they are talking about the wheel falling off, not just losing steering control:

The paperwork takes longer than the fix. (This is like when Tesla setup at Superchargers to perform a seat belt recall while people were Supercharging.)

Here is a video showing how Rivian setup a drive-thru "clinic" to perform a recall where they needed to tighten some things; no appointment needed. I'm not sure it is the steering recall that was just announced as they are talking about the wheel falling off, not just losing steering control:

The paperwork takes longer than the fix. (This is like when Tesla setup at Superchargers to perform a seat belt recall while people were Supercharging.)
The loss of steering is due to the front knuckle disconnecting at the top.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike