Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how long the reservation list is for the R1T ?
The most recent information is from their Q2 release: https://downloads.rivian.com/2md5qh...cf80955/Rivian-Q2-2022-Shareholder-Letter.pdf

1665497137657.png

(They don't break out R1T from R1S.)

They will likely update that figure on November 9th.

Reactions: betstarship and KJD
I got my R1S VIN. Expecting the vehicle sometime in December.

BTW, it is still early days for Rivian in all sorts of ways. A story from the Rivian Forums:

"When I arrived in Vegas, had another fairly major issue after using an EA 350 kw charger. It charged up to 210 kw, but then stopped at 75%. Tried to restart it 4-5 times and it charged for a minute then stopped again. Finally gave up and left, only to discover the truck had no power. Looked down and I had notifications of a system fault and battery fault. Was paranoid about what to do. It drastically reduced power output. I called Rivian and they instructed me to simply shut down the vehicle for 30 minutes (let it rest) and start it up again. I went to check in and just the 10 minute stop to check in did the trick. Came out and the truck was back to normal. Was a bit unnerving though. Second time I've had issues using 350 kw EA chargers. Others have reported similar issues. Appears it heats the battery up too much too fast and the truck doesn't like it. Might be better off sticking to the 150 kw chargers until they figure this out."

BTW, it is still early days for Rivian in all sorts of ways. A story from the Rivian Forums:

"When I arrived in Vegas, had another fairly major issue after using an EA 350 kw charger. It charged up to 210 kw, but then stopped at 75%. Tried to restart it 4-5 times and it charged for a minute then stopped again. Finally gave up and left, only to discover the truck had no power. Looked down and I had notifications of a system fault and battery fault. Was paranoid about what to do. It drastically reduced power output. I called Rivian and they instructed me to simply shut down the vehicle for 30 minutes (let it rest) and start it up again. I went to check in and just the 10 minute stop to check in did the trick. Came out and the truck was back to normal. Was a bit unnerving though. Second time I've had issues using 350 kw EA chargers. Others have reported similar issues. Appears it heats the battery up too much too fast and the truck doesn't like it. Might be better off sticking to the 150 kw chargers until they figure this out."
Just to clarify, the EA charger doesn't control the charge rate, the vehicle does by telling the charger how much current (power) to provide. So the 'they' in "until they figure this out" is Rivian with possibility some support from EA.
EA should only be providing what the car requests, so the overheating is a vehicle software issue. Even if were an issue in the charger communication specification, the vehicle should see the current disparity and either reduce the requested charge rate or fault and end the charging session.
Same with battery heating. Battery gets too warm, cut back on the requested power.

Just to clarify, the EA charger doesn't control the charge rate, the vehicle does by telling the charger how much current (power) to provide. So the 'they' in "until they figure this out" is Rivian with possibility some support from EA.
EA should only be providing what the car requests, so the overheating is a vehicle software issue. Even if were an issue in the charger communication specification, the vehicle should see the current disparity and either reduce the requested charge rate or fault and end the charging session.
Same with battery heating. Battery gets too warm, cut back on the requested power.
Yes indeed. Rivian needs to tweak their charging software before they wreck too many battery packs due to overheating. In the meantime, all owners can do is to avoid 250 kW charging stations.

Reactions: KJD and mongo

How old is your R1S reservation - just to gauge relative to my December 2021?

Rivian maybe discovering that they can’t do everything while trying to ramp production? If so, they are starting to grow up.

While the camp kitchen was cool, it was indeed something that a third party should do. I mean, you have warranty repairs and sourcing to deal with on something that doesn’t move the needle. Meanwhile they are struggling on something that does move the needle.

Of note, Rivian raised the price of their wall charger to $800. It is built like the first generation Tesla one was … ie it needs cost optimization. Meanwhile Tesla just started selling a J1772 wall charger for $550 that has a few extra features. It’s their third generation wall charger.

Reactions: KJD
I could care less about the camp kitchen. Most people that want that probably already have a camp trailer.

A manual tonneau cover will do just fine for me. Maybe they can offer the powered option with next years model.

If they don’t start building trucks at a reasonable pace, Ford and GMC are going to beat them to the punch and people will lose interest in waiting for years on a reservation from a start up.

Get the trucks out the door RJ. That is the only thing that matters right now.

sounds like a part designed by a tech person not a truck person
Honestly, it just looked like bad mechanical engineering. Sandy had some thoughts on it during a tear down. My motorized pool cover has a better mechanism than what that tonneau cover has.

Incidentally, I got my Rivian wall charger (I was an early reservation holder so only paid $500 for it), and even it has some very odd design choices. It has a light bar around the top (three sides). In every consumer product I’ve seen, you’d light that up with a plastic light pipe and one or a couple of LEDs. Rivian chose to use no less than 25 individual LEDs!

Edit, now that I look at the circuit board more closely, I see that it is manufactured by the Taiwanese company Liteon. Makes sense that Rivian would outsource their wall charger.

Last edited:
Honestly, it just looked like bad mechanical engineering. Sandy had some thoughts on it during a tear down. My motorized pool cover has a better mechanism than what that tonneau cover has.

Incidentally, I got my Rivian wall charger (I was an early reservation holder so only paid $500 for it), and even it has some very odd design choices. It has a light bar around the top (three sides). In every consumer product I’ve seen, you’d light that up with a plastic light pipe and one or a couple of LEDs. Rivian chose to use no less than 25 individual LEDs!

Edit, now that I look at the circuit board more closely, I see that it is manufactured by the Taiwanese company Liteon. Makes sense that Rivian would outsource their wall charger.
Any non truck owner would be shocked at the intensity of tonneau cover discussions on truck forums. Most of the competing cover makers are owned by one parent company and they share their tech innovations. Buyers want: waterproof(very few are truly waterproof, the ones that are have shells that make them inconvenient to use) easy to use, durable.

I watch the angled cybertruck cover retract and think... That's nice, all the water and snow will run off into the bed, onto my stuff.

Rivian branching out. “So for us to be part of that sort of mosaic of different mobility solutions,
we have a whole host of products, a number of which are pretty far from what you see here.”

You have got to be kidding me: “Of Rivian’s nearly 15,000 employees, about half are focused on future products, Scaringe said”

Why? They have a golden goose in front of them and they aren’t pursuing it? Do they think their vehicles aren’t going to be competitive long term?

• Love
Reactions: KJD