Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian having service issues

Wow. I own an R1S and after watching that video, it almost makes me want to sell it! I think that video is a bit much spinning a narrative that isn’t accurate. FWIW, my San Diego service center is appropriately staffed and works well. And dumping on Rivian for missing 25K cars in 2022 by a few hundred is stupid. Yeah, we know it was a revised number, companies are allowed to do that.

Btw, Rivian just announced another workforce reduction. I haven’t seen any useful details yet, we‘ll know more Friday during a Rivian all hands meeting.

We've seen similar stories about Tesla service as well, some locations report great service while others do not. I have no doubt Zac and Jessie are experiencing exactly what they describe.
When I said not accurate, I meant their anecdotes don’t necessarily extend to the whole company. I wasn’t kidding when I said the video made me consider selling my Rivian! That’s what I meant, it isn’t necessarily an accurate picture of Rivian, yet it appears to give that impression. Maybe I’m just impressionable, but if so, many people also are.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
When I said not accurate, I meant their anecdotes don’t necessarily extend to the whole company. I wasn’t kidding when I said the video made me consider selling my Rivian! That’s what I meant, it isn’t necessarily an accurate picture of Rivian, yet it appears to give that impression. Maybe I’m just impressionable, but if so, many people also are.
Exactly. Between the bad service in that area, and the threat of a failure that could limit you two 20 MPH it seems bad. (Though I hadn't seen anyone else report anything about the Frunk problem that they made sound like it was very common.)

And especially when they announce they are cutting 6% of their staff, but not impacting manufacturing, while they are already short-staffed.

But maybe the cuts are in R&D and other areas that aren't customer facing. And that will allow them to hire more service personnel.

Fair concerns but like most taken with a grain of salt. I have walked the production line many times over the year and they really have a great team and most are very committed to a great product. No question (like Tesla) as they ramp up production is when you will see the weakness’s stand out and how they address them. As for job cuts, they really did have some “fat” areas that needed some cut backs as they went on an early hire at any cost start. Now they are refining What and Who are needed to succeed. I still have high hopes for them as the product is rather nice, market position has a good outlook, and having Amazon in your funding pocket helps keep things motivated. As volume increases they will face many hurdles as seen. It’s how they react that will set their direction.

I would think the R1T/S is more profitable/loses less money than the Amazon van.

Rivian said they have over 100k orders for the R1S/R1T. Rivian doesn't need the Amazon van to keep employees busy. Amazon should be agnostic where they get there electric vans from.
I would wager the Amazon vans are fairly low price to produce as an aluminum box with minimal interior/exterior accent. With Amazon owning 20% of the Rivian I suspect they will stay the coarse keeping Amazon happy. If Amazon pulled their investment like Ford I would bet that would be the end of Rivian.

Rivian R1T won Strategic Vision's Most Loved Pickup Award

1676441512356.png

I would wager the Amazon vans are fairly low price to produce as an aluminum box with minimal interior/exterior accent. With Amazon owning 20% of the Rivian I suspect they will stay the coarse keeping Amazon happy. If Amazon pulled their investment like Ford I would bet that would be the end of Rivian.

I would wager Amazon got a very low price for the Rivian vans.

I would also wager Jeff Bezos doesn't care all that much about acquiring Rivian vans specifically.

It is another way he can compete with Elon. At Blue Origin's first launch into space Bezos was shuttled to the space ship in a Rivian R1S.

Jeff wants Rivian and Blue Origin to succeed as a way of saying he is doing as much or more for humanity than Elon.

That perception is less likely to happen if he pulls out of Rivian.

Reactions: Yelobird
Update on the "'Max pack" R1Ts:

Are we really supposed to believe that it will take two months to "make changes to the configurator so you can choose between the Max pack with standard Dual-Motor or the Max pack with enhanced Dual-Motor"?

I know you should take you time to get it right the first time, but that really sounds like two radio buttons on the screen, probably along with links to descriptions about the difference between standard and enhanced Dual-Motor.

• Informative
Reactions: RobStark
100k in 2030 is a huge dial-down vs original goal of 2024. And AMZN is buying from anyone else with a van. Did they lose faith in RIVN's ability to produce? Or at least to produce at a competitive cost?

We don’t know how much they are selling vans to Amazon at. We do know that there are all sorts of government rebate programs for both manufacturers and purchasers for EV commercial vehicles, so that plays into economics.

If Amazon is buying elsewhere, I would guess that means that Rivian can’t produce them fast enough for Amazon.