Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't paint matching involved in most body work other than small dents that can be popped out? I've seen much worse damage repaired for a fraction of that cost.
Yah.
I was separating the paint job from the rest of the damage from the accident to point out (purely for summary purposes) that it wasn't that $40k of parts were damaged (like a pack or subframe or something), it's that getting back to factory spec paint using factory spec processes takes multi $10ks of labor.
Functionality was restored well under the first $10k.

My original post was meant as a summary for other readers, not as a response directed at you.

Guys go back and watch the first 3 or 4 minutes of the video. The quarter panel and the tailgate were replaced. The quarter panel is the expensive piece here, because the quarter panel is almost the entire side of the truck. Not something that you can just unbolt and replace.

The other factor is that there is only one Rivian body shop in the entire state. They are going to charge top dollar for the work. I also agree with JRP3 if the paint is so hard to match, just paint the whole darn thing. Still 37 grand for a fender bender is mind boggling.

Guys go back and watch the first 3 or 4 minutes of the video. The quarter panel and the tailgate were replaced. The quarter panel is the expensive piece here, because the quarter panel is almost the entire side of the truck. Not something that you can just unbolt and replace.

The other factor is that there is only one Rivian body shop in the entire state. They are going to charge top dollar for the work. I also agree with JRP3 if the paint is so hard to match, just paint the whole darn thing. Still 37 grand for a fender bender is mind boggling.
This is kind of blowing my mind. Shouldn't you be able to get an entire vehicle painted a factory color for less than $10K? If it's that hard to match and blend it seems as if painting the whole vehicle would make more sense and be cheaper.
Clarification, I'm referencing the Red Rivian, it didn't have the quarter panel replaced and the bill was $42k. It also had ceramic coating which pumped up the price.
Here’s Why That Rivian R1T Repair Cost $42,000 After Just A Minor Fender-Bender - The Autopian

The paint process is a big expense due to de-trimming. Doing the full vehicle would require more of this effort and increase the price.
De-trimming a Rivian is a hell of a lot different than popping off some chrome trim with a spatula; to de-trim that whole unipanel so it’s prepared for a full paint job, the inner tub of the bed needed to be removed (you can see Munro do that in the video below), along with the rear window and the roof spoiler. And to get the roof spoiler out, you need to remove the headliner inside, and to get the headliner out you need to remove the windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
The quarter panel is the expensive piece here, because the quarter panel is almost the entire side of the truck.
This is likely what happened but I was thinking that they could have supplied just the rear corner section. A decent body shop could have cut out the damaged part and blended in a new one. Heck I could have done that though it would take me a while.

Reactions: KJD and mspohr
This is kind of blowing my mind. Shouldn't you be able to get an entire vehicle painted a factory color for less than $10K? If it's that hard to match and blend it seems as if painting the whole vehicle would make more sense and be cheaper.
I know it's not the same but 10 years ago I had my then 15 year old Land Rover repainted with "deluxe" urethane for $1500. Still looks great today.
You can always find someone who will charge exorbitant amounts for anything and sell you a good story with elaborate rationalizing.

Reactions: JRP3
They do have partial panel replacement available in some cases but these minor accidents and exorbitant repair costs definitely cross Rivian off my list.

at least one body shop told me that Rivian does have procedures for sectioning parts from the unipanel so that you can, say, just replace the outer side of the bed up to the cab instead of having to do the entire thing
I'm sure Cybertruck won't be cheap to repair but at least the stainless steel panels will be more robust to minor accidents.

They do have partial panel replacement available in some cases but these minor accidents and exorbitant repair costs definitely cross Rivian off my list.

I'm sure Cybertruck won't be cheap to repair but at least the stainless steel panels will be more robust to minor accidents.
I don't think it's just Rivian. There are lots of similar stories about Tesla and other cars.

Reactions: KJD
I remember horror stories like this when Ford made the F-150 aluminum. "Nobody" could repair it, costs were insane, nobody wanted an aluminum truck. I do believe there is a lot for Rivian to learn in build processes, but this doesnt seem out of the norm either.

Reactions: mspohr
Reports are that Rivian is offering same-day delivery of R1Ts at their production hub:

I guess that means that they are completely through their backlog and are having a demand problem. (Not really surprising.)

I've seen a number of people on the Rivian forum question if they should take delivery now, or if they should wait until Rivian switches to NACS, as they really want access to the Tesla Supercharger network.

Rivian should announce retrofits for any new purchase, problem solved.
It's not just a different charge port. It requires the ability to add the charger bypass contactors to the vehicle along with a way to control them, assuming the charge controller can handle 400V on its inputs. Otherwise, they also need to add charger AC side disconnects, or replace that unit with a HV tolerant one.

Doesn't the Rivian already have charger bypass for fast DC charging?
CCS has separate pins for AC and DC, so the AC inputs can go to the charger, and the DC inputs bypass the charger. But NACS uses the same pins for AC and DC, and the vehicle must detect AC vs DC, then set the contactors in the appropriate configuration to route the power to the appropriate place.
One could envision a smart adapter that had the brains and contactors built in to do all that - expensive, but almost certainly cheaper than retrofitting all this to an in-service vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and bkp_duke
It's not just a different charge port. It requires the ability to add the charger bypass contactors to the vehicle along with a way to control them, assuming the charge controller can handle 400V on its inputs. Otherwise, they also need to add charger AC side disconnects, or replace that unit with a HV tolerant one.

Agreed. This video from Munroe really shows the difference between CCS and NACS once you get beyond the port itself. I can see how NACS will save the automakers hundreds of millions of $$$.

(around mid of this video):

Rivian (RIVN) investors may want to mark June 20, 2023 on their calendars as the automaker will be removed from the Nasdaq-100 Index on that date. NASDAQ confirmed the removal on Tuesday morning, a little over a week after a JP Morgan Chase forecasted it would take place.

• Helpful
Reactions: RobStark
RIVN was up 8.93% today.

How much should it fall because index funds sell?

I think if Rivian was going to announce NACS adoption, the stock would jump, and this would save the day !!!

NACS GM Adption .jpg

Last edited: