Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<snip>
RJ claimed Rivian is #1 in US market share in 2nd half of 2023 for vehicles over $70k.
Must have been EV market share.

Market share is so irrelevant when it's divided up into such a tiny slice of something much larger. It makes sense for mature markets and stable markets as it shows growth and conquests.

Just tell us, RJ, when Rivian will be profitable and stop losing money.

Must have been EV market share.

Market share is so irrelevant when it's divided up into such a tiny slice of something much larger. It makes sense for mature markets and stable markets as it shows growth and conquests.

Just tell us, RJ, when Rivian will be profitable and stop losing money.

Not EV market. US automotive marketshare. Tesla equally dominated the $65k plus market before it became profitable.

Tesla never had a profitable year selling only S and X.

Tesla's first profitable year was 2020 after it introduced both Model 3 and Model Y.

Yes, it previously had profitable quarters. By manipulating end of quarter inventory and financials.

Reactions: Cosmacelf and ChadS
Not EV market. US automotive marketshare. Tesla equally dominated the $65k plus market before it became profitable.
That’s like dominating the “brown and green truck” market. It’s a small slice of something much bigger and doesn’t really impress me.

You know what impresses me? Being profitable in a quarter. They have a long way to go, but it better happen soon. I want it to happen. I really do.

Reactions: KJD
True, but Rivian's unprofitable years dwarf Tesla's in magnitude.

Rivian is attempting to go from first deliveries to 1M units per year delivered much faster. Roughly the size of the smallest fully independent legacy OEMs.

Consumer Reports just released new version of what Elon calls the "Acid Test."

5 years ago Tesla was #1.

1706963231424.png

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
Don’t get me wrong, I love my Rivian R1S and recommend it to anyone to buy especially since you get are getting more for your money.

As a consumer, I applaud Rivian for delivering such great value to customers.

As an investor or business person, I question their strategy and whether they will cross the chasm to being a profitable company.

Reactions: CyberShy
Making a great unprofitable car is easier than making a great profitable car.

Making it profitable means you have to make compromises and remove features/functionality that customers like. Will be interesting to see how things look if/when Rivian’s vehicles become profitable.

The problem with reports like this is that contradictory reports tell a different story from consumers.

View attachment 1015270
And from actual owners. The first ~400-500 trucks went to employees. Employees run and maintain the: rivian forum(s) and subReddit. Any owners that speak up are labeled trolls, banned, threads/posts locked.

Speak up hard enough(60k views on a thread within 24hrs) and corporate will call you at 9PM on a Sunday. Become a problem for them and you’re blackballed. They’ll refuse to do physical parts recall on your vehicle.

There’s a reason why certain YouTubers can’t put out negative content about that company, they get made to delete it.

The most important info is how prospective customers vote with their wallets. Which manufacturers are essentially selling every vehicle they can make, and which ones are having problems? Inventory levels is a good proxy to answer this question.

The most important info is how prospective customers vote with their wallets. Which manufacturers are essentially selling every vehicle they can make, and which ones are having problems? Inventory levels is a good proxy to answer this question.
Having to open up leases on the R1S speaks volumes. Most west coast rivian locations have how many vehicles sitting on lot? 50+?

First to market, cool. As more gain mileage, owners realize the sunshine and rainbows isn’t there. Software (3x different times within a year) that borks ride quality or worse, bricks the whole vehicle? 🤢

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
I think NHTSA would put an end to that real quick.

Tesla even found out that they are required to perform recalls on salvage vehicles.
Here I am speaking with/of personal experience, notated heavily within multiple service requests. One employee canceling it. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Rivian Corp knows who I am. Knows of the formal complaints filed on the issue. Knows of the employee that’s a problem, recently moved that employee to a new store.

It’s tough to comprehend, I get it, there’s a reason you never hear the truth about this company. Owners reporting issues get trolled/blackballed.

I have access to all of the notes on our vin from their internal system. 🤷🏿‍♂️ I wish I was making this crap up. By far the worst company and vehicle we’ve ever owned.